Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. RPF Premium Member Darth Serberus's Avatar
    From
    ireland
    Aug 29, 2010, 7:58 AM - Tarfful WIP Finished Costume On PAGE 3 #1

I've been plodding away at this costume since last October. Rarely getting the chance to work on it between other projects but lately had a bit of a push on it.
    Being inspired by the likes of Dougiefett's 'best ever' Chewie, Nitroopers sterling work on Merumeru and more recently Torment's awesome Tarfful.
    This is my first foray over to the light side with costumes and totally out of my comfort zone... namely HAIR and lots of it.
    Therefore I have been easing myself in gently and leaving the hair till later in the build.
    I first started on a head sculpt to make the skin, under skull and teeth.

The underskull is fiberglass with an articulated jaw.

The teeth are dental acrylic and the gums a dental monymer.

The skin is a latex and foam hybrid. Soft enough to take the jaw articulation and lip curl yet strong enough to take the weight of all that hair.

This solution came from making the first skin in silicone and it weighing a ton!

I may well do a better, lighter silicone version later on too.

The feet/stilts have been fun to work on, although I made a supremely stupid mistake early on.
    I bought some plasters stilts off Ebay. After trying them on I decided they were just too tall and not strong enough to hold my weight (255lbs) plus that of the costume and accessories. So I chopped them down added a new strengthening spar and uprated the springs. This left the stilts at around 14".

I did a rough sketch on photoshop to see if the stilts would work in proportion. The red outline is my image on the stilts underneath the sketch.

When I was happy with the stilts I sculpted a symmetrical wookie foot around it. Now this is where the almighty mess up happened.
    Can you spot the mistake?

Unfortunately it was already in the mould when I realised. That'll teach me to be lazy and not have the reference pics at hand when sculpting!
    So I had to resculpt the front and add a toe.
    When the mould was done I skinned up the inside of the mould with many layers of latex, a tough fabric and stretch panels. To the base of the stilt I added a section of rubber door mat. Then the stilt was dropped into the mould and filled with soft expanding polyurethane foam.

Pulled these out of the mould and made a quick test video of them yesterday.
    YouTube - Wookie Feet Test.
    I've made a start on some extended fingered gloves to help the proportion.
    I still have to make a mannequin before I start on the muscle suit and the dreaded HAIR!!!!!!
    Last edited by Darth Serberus; May 3, 2012 at 2:41 AM.
    From
    Baltimore MD
    Aug 29, 2010, 8:08 AM - Re: Tarfful WIP #2

Alot of work involved for sure. You certainly have done a great job, and you were able to fix a pretty big mistake...where many of us would have thrown the piece out in frustration!
  3. Member Since
    Dec 2007
    Aug 29, 2010, 8:10 AM - Re: Tarfful WIP #3

Awesome work. I have been following this build on Facebook.
    From
    New Port Richey, Florida
    Aug 29, 2010, 8:23 AM - Re: Tarfful WIP #4

Those Feet are nothing short of amazing! Trully amazing.
    From
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Aug 29, 2010, 8:42 AM - Re: Tarfful WIP #5

You've got some mad sculpting skills!!!
    From
    Usually Northern Hemi
    Aug 29, 2010, 10:19 AM - Re: Tarfful WIP #6

Fantastic work so far, and like MooCricket said, having to redo the feet would've weeded a lot of people out. Love the stilts vid as well.
    From
    clanton,alabama
    Aug 29, 2010, 10:34 AM - Re: Tarfful WIP #7

looking great. love wookiee builds.
    From
    Ape City
    Aug 29, 2010, 12:48 PM - Re: Tarfful WIP #8

wow. impressive!!

All of these wookies are coming out of the woodwork! I love it!!
    From
    Carlow, Ireland
    Aug 30, 2010, 4:08 PM - Re: Tarfful WIP #9

Bout friggin time too!

This will be "off the scale" awesome, can't wait to see it in the flesh!
    Aug 31, 2010, 2:17 PM - Re: Tarfful WIP #10

brilliant,simply brilliant "give us a wave then"

cheers
    From
    Baltimore, Maryland, United States
    Sep 25, 2010, 2:21 AM - Re: Tarfful WIP #11

when you're ready for the beads, lemme know.. PM =)

From
    Orange Park, FL.
    Sep 25, 2010, 6:41 AM - Re: Tarfful WIP #12

That is some amazing work you have going on. Looking forward to seeing more of it!
  13. propologist is offline propologist
    Sep 25, 2010, 1:04 PM - Re: Tarfful WIP #13

this is a great build...seeing the costume in person it is a truly imposing character even more than chewy
  14. Member Since
    May 2010
    Sep 25, 2010, 1:40 PM - #14

Darth Serberus said: View Post
    I've been plodding away at this costume since last October. Rarely getting the chance to work on it between other projects but lately had a bit of a push on it.
    Being inspired by the likes of Dougiefett's 'best ever' Chewie, Nitroopers sterling work on Merumeru and more recently Torment's awesome Tarfful.
    This is my first foray over to the light side with costumes and totally out of my comfort zone... namely HAIR and lots of it.
    Therefore I have been easing myself in gently and leaving the hair till later in the build.
    I first started on a head sculpt to make the skin, under skull and teeth.

The underskull is fiberglass with an articulated jaw.

The teeth are dental acrylic and the gums a dental monymer.

The skin is a latex and foam hybrid. Soft enough to take the jaw articulation and lip curl yet strong enough to take the weight of all that hair.

This solution came from making the first skin in silicone and it weighing a ton!

I may well do a better, lighter silicone version later on too.

The feet/stilts have been fun to work on, although I made a supremely stupid mistake early on.
    I bought some plasters stilts off Ebay. After trying them on I decided they were just too tall and not strong enough to hold my weight (255lbs) plus that of the costume and accessories. So I chopped them down added a new strengthening spar and uprated the springs. This left the stilts at around 14".

I did a rough sketch on photoshop to see if the stilts would work in proportion. The red outline is my image on the stilts underneath the sketch.

When I was happy with the stilts I sculpted a symmetrical wookie foot around it. Now this is where the almighty mess up happened.
    Can you spot the mistake?

Unfortunately it was already in the mould when I realised. That'll teach me to be lazy and not have the reference pics at hand when sculpting!
    So I had to resculpt the front and add a toe.
    When the mould was done I skinned up the inside of the mould with many layers of latex, a tough fabric and stretch panels. To the base of the stilt I added a section of rubber door mat. Then the stilt was dropped into the mould and filled with soft expanding polyurethane foam.

Pulled these out of the mould and made a quick test video of them yesterday.
    YouTube - Wookie Feet Test.
    I've made a start on some extended fingered gloves to help the proportion.
    I still have to make a mannequin before I start on the muscle suit and the dreaded HAIR!!!!!!
    Very nice job
  15. Member Since
    Nov 2006
    From
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Sep 27, 2010, 8:24 AM - Re: Tarfful WIP #15

Sweet!
    From
    Adelaide, Australia
    Sep 27, 2010, 8:25 AM - Re: Tarfful WIP #16

Very, very cool!
    From
    Hoth wise know as Alberta, Canada
    Oct 8, 2011, 8:58 PM - Re: Tarfful WIP #17

love it.. would love to know how you did the mold for the feet.. dumb question but is the wip on becoming a wookie the best set of instructions for making a wookie costume or is there a better set out there as the first week in November my friend was going to do cast my head so i could start to make my Tarfful head
    Oct 9, 2011, 5:54 PM - Re: Tarfful WIP #18

great work man....my wook doesnt come close to the talent you guys put into it. The hair is going to be fun man but you can get thru it. subsribed
    From
    Miamisburg, OH (near Dayton)
    Oct 9, 2011, 6:53 PM - Re: Tarfful WIP #19

I can't wait to see it finished! That was one of the cooler Prequel characters.
    Oct 9, 2011, 7:57 PM - Re: Tarfful WIP #20

Dreams are made of this .. MAN.. great work !!
    From
    Nov 7, 2011, 3:22 PM - Re: Tarfful WIP #21

PM sent
    From
    Fresno, Ca
    Nov 7, 2011, 3:55 PM - Re: Tarfful WIP #22

wow..that is amazing work!!
    From
    Nov 11, 2011, 9:01 PM - Re: Tarfful WIP #23

Anyone know the best way to get a hold of Darth Serberus as i have sent a PM as i am getting a friend to help me with a my Tarfful mask. We were trying to figure out how Darth Serberus did he's Tarfful mask and feet as my friend went to school for SXF make up and has worked with latex foam before but not 100% sure on how Darth Serberus did his?
  24. RPF Premium Member Darth Serberus's Avatar
    From
    ireland
    Apr 8, 2012, 4:02 AM - Re: Tarfful WIP #24

My word! It has been over a year and a half since I updated this thread so here goes...
    Since my last update I have been ploughing through back orders for commissions so I didn't really get the chance to touch any personal projects.
    Plus I moved into a new much bigger workshop which allowed me to stand the Wookie up for the first time to see what I had.
    I was quite pleased with how the proportions worked out on the mannequin. I was really trying to avoid the long legged, short armed look that can so easily happen when using stilts. I did this by making finger extensions to make the arms appear longer and lowered the waist and crotch slightly.

Before diving into the rather extensive hair job, I decided to get all the other bits out of the way first.
    I started with the shoulder armour, which I decided to make in latex and foam. I did this for practical reasons, to keep the weight down, reduce the amount of parts and to improve flexibility. As a bonus it seams to really stay in place all by itself with little need for loads of straps.
    Starting with a sculpt of clay that I then moulded and cast.

I worked out the size of the shoulder armour and buckles from making a quick cardboard cut out and offering it up to the mannequin.

After laying in the latex and foam I painted them up with some metallic paints and added some weathering.
  25. RPF Premium Member Darth Serberus's Avatar
    From
    ireland
    Apr 10, 2012, 1:04 AM - Re: Tarfful WIP #25

The belt boxes were made from laminating some MDF and attaching some carefully cut foamex.

After some sanding I gave them a few thick coats of primer filler...

...and then a glossy topcoat to help the mould detail.

I made some silicone box moulds and started casting them up in gel coat and fibreglass. Nice and strong and super light.
    A bit of chrome paint and weathering and they are starting to add up. Just a few more to cast. I'm going to need 18 in total.