Sucker Punch costume thread

Blargh...finally rolling out of bed to start researching/working on Rocket...SDCC will be here before I know it...and I'm already hitting a roadblock!

It's her darn boots. I've already spent a couple of hours scouring Google, trying to find sites with better boot options.

Pretty much all boots that are thigh high or higher are shiny black and lace up with hooks, not eyelets.

Rocket's boots are pretty much crotch high boots (a lot of thigh highs just go over the knee), with a rounded toe and what looks to be a thick heel (or at least it doesn't look to be a stiletto heel). Black leather with gold/yellow-colored eyelets and red laces.

I can find thigh/crotch boots that are leather but don't have laces, they're just solid, or they lace up using eyelet up to the ankle, but then switches to hooks...

Right now I'm looking at either trying to convert a pair that don't lace up, make my own pair from scratch, or get them commissioned from a boot maker.

But I'd much rather find an existing pair >.>

Anyone have any boot sites they can recommend?

~Victoria

It looks like her boots go mid-thigh based on these two pictures. That's a little easier to find.

SuckerPunchRocket.jpg

suckerpunch-banner-2.jpg

Unfortunately, it does look like they are flat soled boots. It's hard to tell though. That limits the selection to either mens boots. You might be able to convert a pair of Renaissance women's fencing boots. A quick search for men's thigh high boots didn't come up with anything that looked right. At least nothing I could safely browse while at work. Good luck!

Last edited:
In this picture:

xrocket.jpg

...it looks like her boots have a substantial, square-shaped heel to them. Then again, I've noticed that Blondie's boots are sometimes flat, sometimes heeled, I think depending on if it's a glamor shot or an action shot. So you could go either way, really, depending on what you feel looks best on you, what you'll be most comfortable wearing, and what you can find/make.

Honestly, for Rocket's look, I would go with some kind of shoe or boot cover, rather than trying to find and wear boots that actually lace up like that. Remember, these outfits are from a fantasy world, even in the movie, so they may not be completely realistic. ;)

Last year for my HitGirl costume, I wore a pair of knee-high Doc Martens like these:

shoes_iaec1176504.jpg

I've gotten faster at lacing them up, but with all eyelets and no loops, and no hidden side zipper, they do take several minutes to put on and take off. And even with breaking in, they're fairly stiff at the ankles. I can't imagine if they went up over my knees too.

If I was doing Rocket (and I'm facing a similar issue with Sweet Pea, though not quite as bad), I would find a shoe or low boot with the right sole and heel, and then build a topper out of something stretchier and softer than leather, fit it exactly to my leg, and put a full zipper down the inside of each, so they only have to be laced up once. Particularly if you're going to have any sort of corsetting with Rocket (again, same with Sweet Pea), you're going to have to put your boots on before you put your corset on, and take your corset off before you take your boots off, as I learned the hard way with my HitGirl costume last year, heh.

Yeah my boyfriend was looking at the boots last night and thought building onto a shorter boot would be best. Because tall boots are really just pumps with fabric attached to them.

Considering no thigh high boots I've searched for has anything close to the correct heel/toe, that's probably the route I'll need to go.

Stupid made-up worlds and their stupid made-up/custom-designed footwear...

~Victoria

It's her darn boots. I've already spent a couple of hours scouring Google, trying to find sites with better boot options. Pretty much all boots that are thigh high or higher are shiny black and lace up with hooks, not eyelets.
Man, these are pretty hard to find. I'm doing Amber's costume but had to try looking. The closest ones I found were:

Platform Boots: Thigh High 5inTwo-Tone Lace-Up Platform Thigh-high Boot, Side Zipper Black-Red/Black

Two colour Lace Up Front Thigh High Boots :: Thigh High Boots :: Nicci Shoes

In both the heels aren't exactly right. After looking at her single poster again and the way the top of the boot fits her leg shape exactly, you gotta wonder at this point if they were custom-made?

Man, these are pretty hard to find. I'm doing Amber's costume but had to try looking. The closest ones I found were:

Platform Boots: Thigh High 5inTwo-Tone Lace-Up Platform Thigh-high Boot, Side Zipper Black-Red/Black

Two colour Lace Up Front Thigh High Boots :: Thigh High Boots :: Nicci Shoes

In both the heels aren't exactly right. After looking at her single poster again and the way the top of the boot fits her leg shape exactly, you gotta wonder at this point if they were custom-made?

Oh there's no doubt they were custom made, that's not unusual. Or they are a ridiculously obscure boot they might have come across. But for some movies they'll custom make all the footwear, which makes replicating it a real PAIN.

So it really comes down to whether you just want to find the closest thing, or to go further. I'm crazy and always go with the "further" option, whether that means making it myself, or getting it made.

~Victoria

Here's one that looks suitable for Rocket! Though, it's not quite as high on the leg...but could be worn as an everyday boot! I love costuming items that are an investment for everyday life! haha

sam-edelman-dixie-lace-up-leather-over-knee-boot~955624_001.jpg

You can buy it here for $175

and here for regular price of $350

These ones are also an option for anyone wanting a sexier look. At least these ones have a chunkier platform and heel to keep them a bit rugged looking...( also half price at $32 ! )

Last edited:
Well the problem with the first one is that the heel is too low and it has a lot of zippers on it. I could work at hiding a back zipper but that side one is annoying. The other one, while it has a nice heel and goes high up the leg, isn't made out of leather and has d-rings for lacing instead of the eyelets. If we want to be sexy, we'd just go get those terrible Halloween Costume versions XD

At least for me, as with all my costumes, it's accuracy or nothing...

I'll leave the boot issue alone for now and fall back on my original start up plan to start from the head down instead of the feet up, lol!

~Victoria

Last edited:
Victoria, if you can possibly get a pair of boots that don't necessarily have anything going on up the front, it might not be that hard to install eyelets up the front.

(Note on the weapon...judging by our experience last year, screw security, we're gonna need that stuff. >.<)

On of these might be easier to get into a con.
Rubber K-98 Bayonet

It looks like you have to buy one of the metal replicas for the scabbard though.

Good idea! Always good to have a backup just in case I have to switch out a real replica for a plastic replica.

Monique, that's what the bf was thinking too...just try to have a fake front and install eyelets and lacing myself. Might be the best way to go.

~Victoria

I could work at hiding a back zipper but that side one is annoying.

I don't think you have to hide a back zipper. Looking at the posters again it looks like Rocket's boots have zippers up the back. There may even be a zipper pull visible which I am attempting to point to with the triangle.

attachment.php

Blargh...finally rolling out of bed to start researching/working on Rocket...SDCC will be here before I know it...and I'm already hitting a roadblock!

It's her darn boots. I've already spent a couple of hours scouring Google, trying to find sites with better boot options.

Pretty much all boots that are thigh high or higher are shiny black and lace up with hooks, not eyelets.

Rocket's boots are pretty much crotch high boots (a lot of thigh highs just go over the knee), with a rounded toe and what looks to be a thick heel (or at least it doesn't look to be a stiletto heel). Black leather with gold/yellow-colored eyelets and red laces.

I can find thigh/crotch boots that are leather but don't have laces, they're just solid, or they lace up using eyelet up to the ankle, but then switches to hooks...

Right now I'm looking at either trying to convert a pair that don't lace up, make my own pair from scratch, or get them commissioned from a boot maker.

But I'd much rather find an existing pair >.>

Anyone have any boot sites they can recommend?

~Victoria

You could go with something like this...

Thigh Length Patent Leather Commando Boots from Fantasy

Not exactly right, and they're expensive. Plus, you'd have to switch out the laces for red ones. But I found these after googling "thigh-high goth boots" for about 5 minutes. So try searching "goth boots" for a while and you should be able to find something either "close enough" or something that'll work after a simple mod. Good luck!

MB, I keep looking at the back of her boots and am still trying to figure out just what is going on there...I wish I could see a flash of silver or something to know for sure it's a zipper.

Must find more photos!

~Victoria

I think with the seams in back, zippers are a pretty likely scenario. I can't imagine the costume department designing something that actually has to be laced up toes to thighs before filming, leaving the actress unable to take them off between takes. But even if there weren't zippers in the ones in the movie, there's definitely a seam back there, which would make hiding a zipper (if you go the hand-made route) pretty trivial.

I'm hoping that we'll be able to tell more about some of these little details once the movie is out. :p

Hey guys, if anyone is still wondering about the charms on Babydoll's gun, I found pictures of the art book that's available for pre-order on Amazon. It looks like the pink bead thing is actually a baby bottle. The blue thing appears to be an hourglass or maybe a goblet.
p1000769s.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back