Space Marine build (full Size)

shsims

OK PLEASE READ :::: (starting on page 3 are new mods to this build)

Ok guys I've figured out what my next armor build is going to be, I going to build a full size Space Marine out of Foam( the 7 ft tall one), like the saying goes, go big or stay at home. It took me a while to find the pdo files, and I have lots of reference pics, so here we go. The finished SM is going to be a white Templar Knight. If anyone out there has built one of these behemoths and would like to share their hints and tricks plz PM me I would be most interested in what you have to say

Last edited:
Take a look at these:

JFCustom's Foam Warhammer 40k Space Marine Files - Here's some foam files unfolded by JFCustom for a Space Marine.

ul10matrix's Warhammer 40k build - This one is a full size build of a 40k Marine. Most importantly, it's a recent build (last pic was added yesterday), so I'm sure you could ask him some questions about the build.
Reference pic of build: ucno.jpg

shmaxiser's 40k Bolter - While it doesn't give any specifics, there's a lot of good reference pictures to see how to build your own bolter. Also fairly new, about 1 week old.

And last but most certainly not least:
Sylgian also recently began work on a 40k armor - This is probably the definitive thread for 40k Space Marines. Seriously, this guy's work so far as been astounding. His helmet isn't even painted yet and it looks better than most finished builds. If you want tips/tricks, Sylgian is the guy you need to go beg and plead for the ancient secrets of his bad@$$ build.
See reference pics of his build here: IMG_20130512_160149.jpgIMG_20130517_224545.jpg

Ok time for a new post. I did some background work before I started on the SM build that you might find useful. When I build my Iron Patriot I was not happy with the cracks and gaps in the foam. I did some checking and found a few ways of many to fix this. Using tape to cover cracks and using caulking. So I gave them a try. In these pics you will see me taping a seam in 11mm foam, caulking 5mm foam and 11mm foam The next pics are the same pieces after being sealed with PVA glue (4 coats) and then painted with gray primer Ok then, as you can see to me the taping method wasn't good, pva glue didn't stick well to tape( maybe a different tape might work better like painters tape). And the tape made the paint look shiny. By looking at the caulked pieces the caulk filled in the cracks nice after painting I think it looks pretty decent. After my test I decided to go with the caulking on my build. so now on with the build, Here is what its going to look like after its all said and done

Last edited:
OK here is the finished helm with the seamed caulked with painters caulk that I got from Ace Hardware The way I used the caulking was I put it on with my finger and then used a damp foam paint brush to smooth it out( no sanding needed) Now here is the helm after four coats of pva glue and 2 coats of primer As you can see, most of the seams are hardly visible, which is what I was after. And here are the boots and shins Now to start filling seams on these

I did a little flex testing and it seemed fine, but Im sure that if there is a lot of flex it will crack. In this case being its a SM with thick foam there probibly wont be much flex

OK here is another short update.....Say Hello to my Little Friend thought Id work on the gun for a little while, so far so good

Ok hears another update. I finished making the stilts for the suit

Here they are attached to 3/4 in plywood feet with the foot pad attached
and here is the all important walking/ weight test

here is a close up, I taped them to my feet to try them. And to my surprise they worked.

OK more to come, its gunna be a long build, working around my fulltime job. (SPECIAL NOTE,,read farther down for ver.2 of the stilts, In my opinion those stilts work a lot better)

Last edited:
ok for another small update
Here is the almost finished bolter that my wife has, says I have to take her shopping
I also have legs and feet finished

More to come as time permits

OK Trouble update.....OK now I need some assistance with my stilts, from the pics ya can see they don't look bad but I've tried walking with them and they just don't seem very stable. If someone could give me some tips or turn me on to some better stilts , pls let me know

OK Trouble update.....OK now I need some assistance with my stilts, from the pics ya can see they don't look bad but I've tried walking with them and they just don't seem very stable. If someone could give me some tips or turn me on to some better stilts , pls let me know

Awesome work shsims. You Space Marine costume is progressing nicely.

You should do some sanding on the legs to smooth out the sharp angles.

As for the stilts, I suggest you use something more firm such as high density foam or Ethafoam combined with wooden board for firm support.

Here's a couple pictures of my platform shoes for my Space Marine costume:

In this picture, I screwed a couple 1/2" wooden boards (the same thickness as the EVA foam I used) and a sheet of wood to provide firm support front portion of the shoe. The heel is supported using Ethafoam (each cylinder can support 170lbs) and a metal strip.

I suggest you also added a metal strip on top of the shoe for additional support. When I first walked around in my costume, my shoe kept coming off the wooden platform. A metal strip provides firm support. Also, don't do what I did using shoes with laces. Purchase a pair of Velcro shoes. It's nearly impossible to tie your shoes once in costume. This will make it easier for your human servitor. ;)

I hope this helps.

Ok Here's a stilt update. Ver2..Thanks to to preluled's shoe mod and to SabrX for their help and info on their SM shoe mod, I was able to bluild a lot better stilt. The only difference between my stilt and SabrX's is I used different foam. I used R-Matte Plus foam sheet that I got from Lowes. I got a 4' by 8' steet for 15 dollors

I cut 10" circles to the height I needed

The rest of the stilt is just like SabrX's

And Here is stilt test ver2

Here is a vid so ya can see how they worked, a 100% better than ver one

Last edited:
Here's another update, got the SM foam parts complete,

just need to connect shoulders, arms and backpack.

test fit seems pretty good so far, now I can start working on detailing it, and sanding, sanding and more sanding

Looking good !

Great job !

I added glue to the bottom of the sandshoes in my SM, all the stress of walking around in it blew out the screws real quick.

Here's an interesting update you might like.
I decided to add an air venting/cooling system into my SM build. I bought a 10" battery fan from walmart that cost 15 dollors.

I took the fan apart and was pleasantly surprised to find that the fan was going to work with hardly any mods to it

I mounted the fan in the backpack and the power swich will be mounted under a cover on the side of the backpack

And I mounted the battery pack inside the chest under alum. harreness

I then cut a vent hole through the backpack and rear where BP mounts to back

I tried the chest on and I was amazed that the chest balanced out between the weight of the backpack and the weight of the battery pack. I then turned on fan and had a very nice airflow through chest and when I put on helm I even had airflow into it. Being the fan is powered by 8 D batteries the fan is supposed to work up to eight hours, mmm we will see on that.
And a note, you can see the harness I built for the SM, fits good and will have padding shortly and in this pic you can see the vent hole very easy

More to come

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back