Silver surfer costume test *PICS*

darthchiro

This is a test for metallic characters. I used a metallic spandex over one of my muscle suits. I would like to do maybe colossus, this would make a great t1000 as well. The actual chrome effect looks better in person, but you get the idea. Its pretty reflective and moves with the rubber.

DSC01335.jpg

DSC01346.jpg

DSC01348.jpg

This one shows the more of what it looks like to the eye.

silver2.jpg

Just out of curiosity, is that the Alsa-corp chrome fabric? If so I was wondering what it'd look like as a silver-surfer costume

This was just done with a little glue and rubbing to make it stick. I found the fabric at a local store, they only had a few yds and it was a buy out so apparently can't get anymore. Still there has to be more out there.

damn. Huge Surfer fan here, so cheering you on with this!

That might just work pretty good!

Are you going for the earless and toeless comic look?

looks like it might be silver lame (or lamé, I'm not sure)
Does it have a tiny hexagonal pattern to it?

Edit: Also, it looks really cool so far :thumbsup

Thanks alot guys! This was just a test so far, this is done on a kid size suit, to save material but I think it looks great and working out the application is the same as a full size suit.

The material itself I think is some kind of micro foil, its not the usually chalky metallic looking spandex but it only stretches in one direction. I don't think it would be great for just a fabric suit, but it works amazing for this application where there is little to no stress on the material itself.

I think there is a few costumes that I could really use this sort of thing. Movie style colossus arms and mask could be done with this stuff.

Googling shiny metallic cloth brought up some interesting sites.
Club scene and fetish adult stuff.

Bottom line, there are materials out there! LOL

It's silver foil metallic spandex. Try Stretch House or Spandex House for some.

Both places have it under 'metallic spandex' but you'll need to read 'foil' in the description. Stretch house has it under 'All over foil'.

I forgot to mention, I have the same stuff but in gold for a project and also have some silver samples.

Ryu

Last edited:
Man that's killer work! I'd love to see this completed in a finished Surfer costume, and like you said, it'd make an awesome Colossus costume. And I love the slight texture to it as well. It adds just one more dimension to it.

This looks promising.
Silver Surfer is one of those characters practically NO ONE dresses up as because of how darn difficult it is to pull off a half-decent look.
Post more pics soon - looks good so far!

thanks again guys! I'll see if i can work out the kinks on the kid size version

I just checked the stretch house site , they call it foil dot, has to be the same stuff. And cheaper than what I paid for it (except I didn't need to pay shipping, but our lovely 13% tax here doesn't help either)

lots of possibilities with this.

I opened this thread and saw the pictures and without even looking at who the OP was, I said to myself "that's a darthchiro costume". I was totally right, that's how I know I spend too much time here lol.

Looking really good sir. Will be watching this one.

This stuff would be great for all the open areas on the Iron Man Mark II suit. Thanks alot for posting this! Good luck with your project. Silver surfer will be wicked looking, and not your every day costume so that makes it even better!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back