Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    England
    Aug 10, 2012, 3:10 PM - Scarlet-Spider Costume Completed (+Convention Pics) #1

So this is my entrance into the cosplaying world as far as actually making a costume goes (the one in my profile pic/ sig doesn't count as it was a friend who made that suit )

To go along with the recent Spiderman hype I plan to create a Scarlet-Spider costume for the London MCM Expo in October of this year. I've always been a big fan of the home-made feel of his costume along with the character and design in general.

First off I started simple; cutting out the nets for the ankle pouches from cardboard. This will then be covered in a leather material (pleather?) along with the straps stitched in place. I think I'll need to reinforce these with a thicker cardboard if they are to be functional.

Then it was on to creating a template for the eye lenses. These will be made from craft foam due to it being fairly durable and inexpensive. They are yet to be cut out and glued in place.

Next up were the webshooters that will be created from this ID card holder with various parts added to it and finished in a coat of silver paint.

I'm still on the fence whether to make any web-cartridges or not; either in a Black-Widow esque wristband form or simply integrated into the webshooters themselves.

Lastly we have the suit itself, a basic red morph suit. I think I'll need to gain a few pounds before the event (been eating tons of food as well as simply working out to counter this predicament, to no avail so far ). I may also need to invest in a dance-belt according to my girlfriend to hide my meat and two veg
    Or some simple duct-tape should suffice....

While I'm happy with the suit in general (particularly for the price I paid- 15) the mask is pretty meh. The chin and the neck seems to blur into one, it is VERY tight making it hard to breath and the overall shape seems a bit off.

I was planning on cutting the mask off and having it as a separate piece so that I can take it off easily during the event but I've since seen this (see link below) and I think it'll work better that the one I already have. Plus with the extra neck length I won't need to worry about gaps appearing in the neck from where I've cut the original off.
    Excellent!!! Zentai lycra spandex Red Mask | eBay
    I think this is going to be my best option. Any advice/ opinons?

So that's it so far, the only other things I have left to get are the blue hoodie, aqua shoes for the soles, a white spandex material for the eyes and a belt, along with all the other materials and accessories stated above.

Stay tuned! And any feedback/ constructive criticism will be very much appreciated
    Thanks for looking!
    From
    England
    Aug 11, 2012, 5:07 AM - Re: Scarlet-Spider costume WIP #2

UPDATE

The eye frames have now been cut out.

3. Member Since
    May 2012
    Aug 12, 2012, 1:01 AM - Re: Scarlet-Spider costume WIP #3

Hey man, I feel you on the weight thing. I have a feeling if I ever decided to so a spandex suit, I'd look exactly the same XD
    Keep at the eating tho! Be sure you're eating HEALTHY meals.
    Eating well will gain you faster than eating fatty food.
    From
    England
    Aug 12, 2012, 3:19 AM - Re: Scarlet-Spider costume WIP #4

Haha, I hear you man.
    I've been eating like a horse for all my life really and only ever seem to fluctuate between the 8 - 9 stone mark :/
    I guess it's down to how I work out/ what I eat, like you said.
    Thanks for the help and advice Much appreciated
    From
    England
    Aug 23, 2012, 4:18 PM - Re: Scarlet-Spider costume WIP #5

New Men Fruit of the Loom Hooded Sweatshirt Plain Hoodie Blank Pullover Hoody | eBay

Just purchased the hoodie above. Once it arrives I plan to cut off the arms and spray the logo on using a template and then that'll be another piece of the costume done.

No other updates to report as of yet.
  6. Member Since
    Jul 2011
    Aug 23, 2012, 4:20 PM - Re: Scarlet-Spider costume WIP #6

Meat and potatoes + weight gainer. You'll be all set
    From
    England
    Aug 24, 2012, 4:08 AM - Re: Scarlet-Spider costume WIP #7

Awesome. Cheers
    Aug 24, 2012, 5:26 AM - Re: Scarlet-Spider costume WIP #8

Hey man, are u on ebay seller ID Rodimus2205?
    Its jst ur name resembles it and I have recently been speakin to this seller regarding Cpt Britain comics lol
    From
    England
    Aug 24, 2012, 12:17 PM - Re: Scarlet-Spider costume WIP #9

Nope sorry, mine's pwarner184 :P
    Aug 24, 2012, 1:06 PM - Re: Scarlet-Spider costume WIP #10

ah no worries dude, just found it a coincidence when I realised haha
  11. Member Since
    May 2012
    Aug 24, 2012, 2:29 PM - Re: Scarlet-Spider costume WIP #11

Did you go with Navy, Royal Blue, or Sky Blue?
    I always thought the lighter shade looked better for the sweatshirt, so I might grab a sky blue one myself, just for future projects :P
    From
    England
    Aug 28, 2012, 1:48 PM - Re: Scarlet-Spider costume WIP #12

Just a couple more updates to the costume. The Hoodie hasn't arrived yet but I've got the template all cut out ready:

And next we have the webshooters.

They're a bit crude but I feel they fit their purpose. On the left is the top view and on the right the underside. Not too sure how to attach them though :/ Glued in place? Using a safety pin? Velcro? <-- I think that one might work best, but any feedback is always appreciated
    I was originally intending on using a ID card holder thing at first but when I couldn't find a second matching one I thought, 'Screw it, I'll just something else instead.'
    These were constructed from various fodder bits and pieces I had lying around (Citadel paint lids, pens etc.) The design's very much influenced by the webshooters seen in The Amazing Spiderman.
    They've been coated in a black undercoat and then all that's left to is spray them silver (once I pick up a can of spray paint) and add in other little painted details.

After that, it's only fabric related stuff left to do (eye lenses, leatherette for pouches and hoodie) Another possibility would be getting some aqua-shoes and glueing the soles to the bottom of the morphsuit to make it more comfortable to walk around in.
    From
    England
    Sep 2, 2012, 1:13 PM - Re: Scarlet-Spider costume WIP #13

Another day, another update.

Managed to get some white fabric for the eye lenses. After glueing a pair and sewing another pair to see what way works best, (glueing turned out as the best option as I'd need two layers of foam with the sewing technique, making the lenses less easy to work with) it turned out they were massive on the face when test fitting:

I've have since downsized the eyes and plan to hot-glue them into place.

Below is the progress of the eyes, from glued (top), sewn (middle) and downsized (bottom)

P.S. Still waiting on the arrival of the hoodie
    From
    England
    Sep 7, 2012, 10:55 AM - Re: Scarlet-Spider costume WIP #14

A couple of days ago the hoddie arrived, bit short in the arms though, but that doesn't matter as they're going to be lopped off haha.
    Here's a before:

Here's a WIP:

And here's after:

I'm really pleased with how this came out I just need to neaten up a few of the lines and alter the off-centred head.

Now, I think it's time for some test fitting ;D
    From
    England
    Sep 7, 2012, 11:07 AM - Re: Scarlet-Spider costume WIP #15

And so, here's a quick test-fitting of the suit and hoodie.

At this point my camera decided to go ****-up so I guess you could count this photo as a teaser for the what's to come :P

As always, any feedback would be muchly appreciated and thanks for looking
    From
    Thessaloniki, Greece
    Sep 7, 2012, 11:16 AM - Re: Scarlet-Spider costume WIP #16

Very nice man! It turn out pretty good! But I think you are TOO skinny. Spiderman has always been skinny but not that much. I think gaining 5-6 kgs, will make you look way better in the suit!!
    Sep 7, 2012, 11:49 AM - Re: Scarlet-Spider costume WIP #17

lookin good dude, but I agree with Aris get some weight gain protein shakes down you and lift a few weights for a few month and you will be sorted..... and pleeeeeeeeease get a cup lol!!!
    keep up the good work....
    From
    England
    Sep 7, 2012, 12:08 PM - Re: Scarlet-Spider costume WIP #18

Aris said: View Post
    Very nice man! It turn out pretty good! But I think you are TOO skinny. Spiderman has always been skinny but not that much. I think gaining 5-6 kgs, will make you look way better in the suit!!
    Thanks man. Yeah, I know what you mean I've been exercising and doubling my meal portions since the past couple of months but to no avail. Guess my metabolism must be stupidly high haha.
    From
    England
    Sep 7, 2012, 12:13 PM - Re: Scarlet-Spider costume WIP #19

SDUK said: View Post
    lookin good dude, but I agree with Aris get some weight gain protein shakes down you and lift a few weights for a few month and you will be sorted..... and pleeeeeeeeease get a cup lol!!!
    keep up the good work....

Yup, I'm planning on investing in one, only just noticed how awkward that photo is now
    *Stupid camera making it stand out even more*

Thanks for advice though mate
    Sep 7, 2012, 12:21 PM - Re: Scarlet-Spider costume WIP #20

hahaha I'm just buggin ya dude... but yeah Spidey cosplayers all invest in cups or dance belts to hide the old man lol!! I will be when I do my Future Foundation Spidey when I have finished up on my Cpt Britain costume, but yeah I definitely recommend a good weight gain protein to aid in bulking up... just upping your meals will help but VERY slowly, and you don't want to make the mistake of thinkin 'ah I will just eat a ton of Mc'd's' coz that will put the weight in the wrong places lol!!! it's the protien weight gaining you want to do, not fatty weight gaining, although it won't take you too long to get the right Spidey look anyways
    From
    England
    Sep 7, 2012, 12:33 PM - Re: Scarlet-Spider costume WIP #21

SDUK said: View Post
    hahaha I'm just buggin ya dude... but yeah Spidey cosplayers all invest in cups or dance belts to hide the old man lol!! I will be when I do my Future Foundation Spidey when I have finished up on my Cpt Britain costume, but yeah I definitely recommend a good weight gain protein to aid in bulking up... just upping your meals will help but VERY slowly, and you don't want to make the mistake of thinkin 'ah I will just eat a ton of Mc'd's' coz that will put the weight in the wrong places lol!!! it's the protien weight gaining you want to do, not fatty weight gaining, although it won't take you too long to get the right Spidey look anyways

Haha, fair enough lol
    I'll certainly be keeping an eye out for your FF Spidey thread, man I love the design of that costume! :3
    I think I've got some scandi-shakes somewhere which'll come in handy also.
    From
    Alabama
    Sep 7, 2012, 12:46 PM - Re: Scarlet-Spider costume WIP #22

rodimus184 said: View Post
    Thanks man. Yeah, I know what you mean I've been exercising and doubling my meal portions since the past couple of months but to no avail. Guess my metabolism must be stupidly high haha.
    I have very high metabolism too. Here's some tips for gaining wait. Don't just eat lots of food, make sure you're eating the RIGHT foods. Anything high in protein is what you want, such as dark meats like beef, peanut butter, eggs, cheese, and beans. But don't just eat protein, balance it out with carbs and veggies.

And when you workout you want to make sure you're doing the RIGHT workouts. Stay away from cardio, while it's good to keep your heart healthy, if you do lots of cardio you will not gain weight because you'll just burn off everything you eat because of your high metabolism. You want to go as heavy as you can on the weights and do small sets, rather than going with small weight and doing lots of reps. It's best to keep the weight to where that you max out (get to the point that you can't lift the weight again) at about 8 reps. So for instance do 8 reps of curls with heavy weights, than move in to push ups or something to work your triceps, alternate between different muscles so that your not just tiring out. So you'll go from one thing to the next until you've done about 8 different things and then rest for about 60 seconds and go through all the same stuff again, do that about 4 to 6 times. And then you can rest and move on to working a different part of your body.
    The main thing is just to make sure you keep your weight high and reps low.

Protein shakes would speed up the weight gaining process too. Just make sure you get mass building protein, and drink a larg shake after every workout. I also found that it help to workout and drink protien at night not long before you go to bed, because that way your body has all that down time to build up your muscles with the protein.

While being skinny kind of sucks (I know because I am) it's also a good thing because your body is already ready to start building nice muscle tone, you don't have to worry about loosing the fat to uncover the muscles.

Hope this is helpful mate!
    Nice suit by the way!
    From
    England
    Sep 7, 2012, 12:54 PM - Re: Scarlet-Spider costume WIP #23

SpiderSparrow said: View Post
    I have very high metabolism too. Here's some tips for gaining wait. Don't just eat lots of food, make sure you're eating the RIGHT foods. Anything high in protein is what you want, such as dark meats like beef, peanut butter, eggs, cheese, and beans. But don't just eat protein, balance it out with carbs and veggies.

And when you workout you want to make sure you're doing the RIGHT workouts. Stay away from cardio, while it's good to keep your heart healthy, if you do lots of cardio you will not gain weight because you'll just burn off everything you eat because of your high metabolism. You want to go as heavy as you can on the weights and do small sets, rather than going with small weight and doing lots of reps. It's best to keep the weight to where that you max out (get to the point that you can't lift the weight again) at about 8 reps. So for instance do 8 reps of curls with heavy weights, than move in to push ups or something to work your triceps, alternate between different muscles so that your not just tiring out. So you'll go from one thing to the next until you've done about 8 different things and then rest for about 60 seconds and go through all the same stuff again, do that about 4 to 6 times. And then you can rest and move on to working a different part of your body.
    The main thing is just to make sure you keep your weight high and reps low.

Protein shakes would speed up the weight gaining process too. Just make sure you get mass building protein, and drink a larg shake after every workout. I also found that it help to workout and drink protien at night not long before you go to bed, because that way your body has all that down time to build up your muscles with the protein.

While being skinny kind of sucks (I know because I am) it's also a good thing because your body is already ready to start building nice muscle tone, you don't have to worry about loosing the fat to uncover the muscles.

Hope this is helpful mate!
    Nice suit by the way!

This is great advice, thank you! Much appreciated
    From
    Alabama
    Sep 9, 2012, 1:56 AM - Re: Scarlet-Spider costume WIP #24

rodimus184 said: View Post
    This is great advice, thank you! Much appreciated
    You're welcome, glad I could help!
    I've been kind of lazy lately but back a few months ago when I was actually working out and doing the things stated above, I gained about 10 lbs in a month.
    I'm about to start back at it to get ready for my ASM suit, and I found this article with a pretty good diet plan, thought you might also find it helpful: Muscle and Brawn Bodybuilding, Powerlifting and Muscle Building. 5 Easy Tips for Bodybuilding Bulking
    From
    England
    Sep 9, 2012, 2:10 AM - Re: Scarlet-Spider costume WIP #25

Best of luck