robo3687's Iron Man Pep Files - SD War Machine links page 73

Re: robo3687's Iron Man 2 Pep Files - hip pod and foot flap now available

How do you know buddy? I've been through this video for ages and its so difficult to see any point of connection. That frame is pretty much the only time u get a decent look. As today has gone on and ive been thinking it over, i think it may be a case of wire for the fingers, but on that screenshot the thumb looks like its on a strip, assumption led me to believe that all fingers may use the same method.... guess not. All just theories though.

well... buddy, skip to where he says "nothing's ever exposed" and you'll see the space between the wire and the thumb pieces. the wire itself is bent out and in at different points to allow it not to intervein with the fingers when the fingers are bent.

thanks robo...its the only part missing on my suit ^_^ ill w8 for it thanks!

iron-man-2-3d-printing-5.jpg

Hey guys. Im printing out the sharkhead helmet from page 1 but its in
letter format. Im in the uk!!! Why cant a4 just be universal? Anyway, pepakura says the paper format is different to my printer and asks me if i should scale? Should i click yes or no? The first time i ever printed out a letter helmet it came out MASSIVE!!!! Then i changed the printing percentage to 80% and it came out tiny. Finally settled at 86%. This was a different helmet design though.

My questions:
1: Does sharkheads helmet print out on a4 paper in proportion to the rest of robos armour?
2: If so do i click yes or no to scaling it?

Answers would be massively appreciated, im not going through another 40 hours of pepping various different sizes til i get it right.

letter format. Im in the uk!!! Why cant a4 just be universal?

Well the the inverse is, I'm in the states... why can't letter be universal?

Anyway, why don't you print the tester that is there for sizing. its a quick easy build to help you zero in the size.

I don't have an answer for you about the printer scaling. I always just select the paper size i want to print on in Pepakura designer, move the parts around to fit on the paper, (which is alot harder sometimes going from a4 to the smaller letter size) then print.

wicked cool!

anyone has an idea what wire to use regarding the glove attachments?

Starx had the same idea of using wire to hold the fingers in place, and he was going to use guitar wire, looks like that is what he is using aswell

wicked cool!

anyone has an idea what wire to use regarding the glove attachments?

hey guys, was hoping to have the spine ready for today.....but sadly it won't be...lol...

should be up tomorrow though....

and yes there'll be an all in one file coming

Great Robo now I wont be able to sleep, like a kid on christmas eve,,,lol. Excellent work on the files by the way bro.

currently 80% of the suit is completed...hehehe...

all of my prints are scaled except the chest and back pieces...

letter format. Im in the uk!!! Why cant a4 just be universal? Anyway, pepakura says the paper format is different to my printer and asks me if i should scale? Should i click yes or no? The first time i ever printed out a letter helmet it came out MASSIVE!!!! Then i changed the printing percentage to 80% and it came out tiny. Finally settled at 86%. This was a different helmet design though.

My questions:
1: Does sharkheads helmet print out on a4 paper in proportion to the rest of robos armour?
2: If so do i click yes or no to scaling it?

Answers would be massively appreciated, im not going through another 40 hours of pepping various different sizes til i get it right.

best advice i can give is to download pepakura DESIGNER and open the helmet there. then go to file, printer and paper settings, then change letter to a4. this will resize your borders to a4 size, but everything will be off and out of borders. just click and drag the pieces to fit into the a4 borders, and right click and choose rotation to make some other pieces fit better. i usually do this to tighten up the pieces and cut down on paper use.

and also change your borders at the printer and paper settings window to 5 if its set at 15 to give you more space.

EDIT: to answer the questions tho, 1: Yes. 2: No, scaling is very bad. you'll get a funky small size.

well i just put my a4 paper into my printer. Loaded up the files on pep viewer. Clicked print. Click no to scaling... and job done, they printed.

I havent cut them out yet just in case, if they are wrong i will just use the rear of the paper.

So can i assume my helmet is going to be to big or small with current prints?

I have just opened designer and am currently moving bits around onto a4 paper scale to save for future use.

Would you advise me to reprint out the helmet again using this new file i have created? I was under the assumption that if a file is made using letter format it just printed straight out onto a4 paper at the correct scale, as letter is smaller.

U.S. Letter paper is indeed slightly smaller than A4. A model saved as Letter size will (edit: usually) print out fine on A4 paper with no scaling changes, but trying to print an A4 design on Letter will almost always end in heartache and misery. :)

7sinzz, you should be good-to-go with the printout you made.

Last edited:

Thank you very much pilot. I previously used the samurai file and when i printed it, it came out HUGE!!!
If anyone else had this problem with samurais file, i'd be relieved to hear it.

yea, a4 is slightly taller, but also slightly skinnier than letter. if you didnt get any pieces cutoff, you should be good to go. but like pilot said, its more likely to cause cutoffs going from an a4 file to a letter file. your a4 resized files should be better for you if you plan on redoing anything in the future. just be sure to print it to a pdf or some other equivalent virtual printer as designer wont let you save if you dont buy it first.

Nah i have the full version of designer now so saving is not a problem. Sharkhead helmet now saved as a4 in pep viewer. Un-necessary really but gives me peace of mind :D Thanks for the replies.

And just to let anyone in the same boat as me know... no pieces were cut off during the print out.

The width difference between letter and A4 is only about 5mm, so unless the pieces are really skirting the boundary of the print margins, most letter-sized things will (obviously) still print out OK as you've found. It's still better to have the parts laid out in your native print format, though...you should have seen me earlier this morning trying to get the really long pieces on the thigh files crammed on to letter size. It was quite an adventure in rotation and rearranging. :lol

yup, never doin that again. haha. PDF and acrobat to the rescue!

Im gona slap myself for off-topic convo here, but its kinda relevent to the previous 2 posts: has anyone seen that random iron man suitcase file? Not sure who its by. Anyway if u zoom out you can see some bits that havent been placed on the paper... on closer inspection this seems to be because they are actually too BIG to fit on a4 or letter paper. Quite frustrating... anyway this has relevence so bare with me... If you zoom right out on one of robos files, there are pieces that are required for the build that are not on the paper. I forget which file it was now but i used designer to move them back, i believe it was the brace section. Check all the files anyway just to make sure. It was very frustrating for my mate to find he had a hole in his build... assumed we'd lost a few bits.

In other news, our chest piece should be finished and painted by next friday at the latest (fingers crossed) and were aiming to have the helmet completed and painted by early next week. The back part is at the "bondo" (bodyfiller for us brits) stage, its half done. Only pieces left to pep are: 1 foot, both legs, and obviously the spine, but we have enough to keep us very busy for the time being, so no rush for the spine (for us anyway).

Hope to update with some decent progress pics on the link in my signature soon.

Deadline halloween :-O

Once again Thank you for all your hard work Robo. I Would also like to see what other projects you are crrently working on. Quite excited to see the project that most people are aware of but noone has yet dared to say the name of ;-) It would make great set alongside the current project, and pressumably another 3-6 months of my life lol. Close-up the details in that are unbelievable, so maybe more than 6 months.

Last edited:

Does anyone have pictures done on how they are putting together the abdominal area?
I know i read someone was considering doing the pieces seperate and have then attached together on the underside by vinyl.
Looking to see different ideas that work efficantly.
Thanks! :)

95% complete...only the spine is missing and i already painted the parts...i'm using velcro to put up the parts together...with the exception of the helmet.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back