Delete thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Robo3687's IRON MAN Mark 4/6 Pepakura FOAM Templates -Easy to Build "Green" Versi

Hah love the quick response time. Thanks man.

IM_MK4_COLLAR_PLATES_FOAM_2.pdo - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

collarplate.jpg

Re: Robo3687's IRON MAN Mark 4/6 Pepakura FOAM Templates -Easy to Build "Green" Versi

Hi guys! My name is Vincent. Im new here, but im semi-not new to foam building. I have built a Halo 3 Recon helmet out of Foamies on the 405th.com :)
so being used to halo armor making, i gotten used to tabs. I watched stealth's video about foam armor making and he instructed not to use tabs, but cut the edges at a 90 degree angle and glue

How can i do this when making the iron man helmet with thin foamies? id imagine it would be pretty hard ;) or should i do this with tabs?

sorry for the noob-ishness
Foamies don't hold the shape of the Iron Man helmet that well. You'll have better results with 3mm-6mm foam. But if you do use foamies you can use a mat board cutter to get the angles you need.

I have always agreed with STEALTH; a hard helmet, be it pep and bondo or plastic, is better than a foam helmet.

yeah, the foam suit is nice and all but at least have the accurate helmet. The sharkhead file's accuracy is a gift to all. Takes less work as the details can all be pepped in if you even wanted. Even that little air dam in the forehead.

it's the focal point. Everyone will look there first and judge the suit based on that.

I see, thanks guys
So your saying I should Pep the helmet like regular? (110 pound cardstock, resin, and bondo). And can I use the .pdo's that you guys provided? They seem a heck of a lot simpler than the ones on 405th, I'm thinking about doing a cardstock/foamies mix if possible (peping on a budget :D)

Do you guys attach the abs to the rest of the suit, i.e. to he chest or cod at all when finished? Or does it all Just sit together?

Im about to do the abs and am curious as to the functionality. Thanks a lot.

Do you guys attach the abs to the rest of the suit, i.e. to he chest or cod at all when finished? Or does it all Just sit together?

Im about to do the abs and am curious as to the functionality. Thanks a lot.
I attacked the upper portion of the cod piece to the abs. I then made a detachable buttocks and crotch. I also attached one clip from the upper ab to the chest piece and a piece of velcro on the back where it meets the abs to keep it consistent back there (for the spine).

You can check the link: http://www.therpf.com/f24/foam-iron-man-mk-vi-wip-133628/#post2028976

I see, thanks guys
So your saying I should Pep the helmet like regular? (110 pound cardstock, resin, and bondo). And can I use the .pdo's that you guys provided? They seem a heck of a lot simpler than the ones on 405th, I'm thinking about doing a cardstock/foamies mix if possible (peping on a budget :D)

you can always just buy one... there's plenty of sellers in the junkyard... :angel:love

any 1 happend to know what size feet/shoe the boot fits in the scale it comes as when dowloaded (25.411754) ? so I can calculate more or less

more like a 11 i think I wear a 12 and had a gap between the front and heel portion

thanks isuerman .

since Im in europe I had to check out a shoe sizing converter page or what ever u calle it.. thought I woul post it so any1 else being in europe con used it.

International shoe size conversion chart

just measure ur foot in cm witch the japanese pple use and look u lines above ^^

Cheeky update. Finished the top half. Had to "expand" the ab sections to allow for my beer bearing hips but Its looking good so far....

Stevie, your progress looks awesome!

Cheeky update. Finished the top half. Had to "expand" the ab sections to allow for my beer bearing hips but Its looking good so far....

looking good! I had to throw the pic in photoshop to bump up the brightness of the midtones to really look at it. Did you attach the bottom side abs that also connect to the cod piece already?

looking good! I had to throw the pic in photoshop to bump up the brightness of the midtones to really look at it. Did you attach the bottom side abs that also connect to the cod piece already?

Thanks guys. :)

Not sure which piece you mean about the bottom side abs?? I just made them from the "Abs" file that Stealth posted on the first page of this thread. Have i missed something??

as this is my first build, i've been quickly making each piece from cheap crappy thin foam first. That then tells me where/what angle cuts i need to make when using the good 8mm foam. Like i said, pretty happy with it.

Thanks again.

Edit to add... i just checked and now see what you mean about the lower abs. Not done them yet. gonna take a break from the actual build for a few days and start sealing the top half with PVA.

Last edited:

Thanks guys. :)

Not sure which piece you mean about the bottom side abs?? I just made them from the "Abs" file that Stealth posted on the first page of this thread. Have i missed something??

as this is my first build, i've been quickly making each piece from cheap crappy thin foam first. That then tells me where/what angle cuts i need to make when using the good 8mm foam. Like i said, pretty happy with it.

Thanks again.
There should be four pieces/slabs that go on the abs on each side (the side abs). Three of them are in the "abs" file, the fourth piece is in the "cod piece" file.

I love cod :-/

Hmmm ive noticed a lot of people dont bother to do the hip pods, or anything around this small area, just leave clothes exposed. After observing completed armours, most of them look great until you get down to the cod, then suddenly it gets a bit messy down there.

I think it would be so much tidier if the area between the cod and the thigh had some foam painted the same colour red as the rest of the suit, shoved in there. The good thing about foam is it allows flexibility, so since the majority of us have moved on from fibreglass, it has suddenly become an option to fill this area with the same material as the rest of the armour, maintaining a consistant colour flow.

The same applies for other areas where the clothing underneath is exposed ie, elbos, knees etc...

Can anybody suggest a suitable option/design for covering these vital areas? It makes sense too, because at the end of the day, this suit is meant to protect us from bullets and shrapnel, i wont feel safe entering a warzone in my foam suit unless im sufficiently covered up!!!! And i refuse to do so until i have sufficient foam armour!

Next on my agenda of recent thoughts are the colours in the mk 6. What on earth were the designers thinking? I think those colours are awful. Way to much gold, i feel as though im making C3P0!!! I have decided to use the MK 4 armour colours with the MK 6 chest, and hope no1 notices :-D

And my final thought, does anyone else think the legs look a bit chunky? comparing to the hot toys figure, his legs seem quite long and sleek while still maintainig a masculine form. The pepakura files seem to be quite stubby. If anyone only replies to one part of this message can someone tell me how to alter just the length of a pep file please it seems that whenever you alter a length, the width goes along for the ride. Robo, please dont be insulted by these comments. The original files are absolutely fantastic and i couldnt praise you anymore for taking the time and effort to create them. Im just nitpicking because my form resembles a large drainpipe and im concerned i may end up wearing the leg parts as a pair of shorts.

Any replies to the thoughts in my brain would be uber appreciated ;)

Last edited:

^^^^edited with more useful content^^^

I love cod :-/

Hmmm ive noticed a lot of people dont bother to do the hip pods, or anything around this small area, just leave clothes exposed. After observing completed armours, most of them look great until you get down to the cod, then suddenly it gets a bit messy down there.

I think it would be so much tidier if the area between the cod and the thigh had some foam painted the same colour red as the rest of the suit, shoved in there. The good thing about foam is it allows flexibility, so since the majority of us have moved on from fibreglass, it has suddenly become an option to fill this area with the same material as the rest of the armour, maintaining a consistant colour flow.

The same applies for other areas where the clothing underneath is exposed ie, elbos, knees etc...

Can anybody suggest a suitable option/design for covering these vital areas? It makes sense too, because at the end of the day, this suit is meant to protect us from bullets and shrapnel, i wont feel safe entering a warzone in my foam suit unless im sufficiently covered up!!!! And i refuse to do so until i have sufficient foam armour!

Next on my agenda of recent thoughts are the colours in the mk 6. What on earth were the designers thinking? I think those colours are awful. Way to much gold, i feel as though im making C3P0!!! I have decided to use the MK 4 armour colours with the MK 6 chest, and hope no1 notices :-D

And my final thought, does anyone else think the legs look a bit chunky? comparing to the hot toys figure, his legs seem quite long and sleek while still maintainig a masculine form. The pepakura files seem to be quite stubby. If anyone only replies to one part of this message can someone tell me how to alter just the length of a pep file please it seems that whenever you alter a length, the width goes along for the ride. Robo, please dont be insulted by these comments. The original files are absolutely fantastic and i couldnt praise you anymore for taking the time and effort to create them. Im just nitpicking because my form resembles a large drainpipe and im concerned i may end up wearing the leg parts as a pair of shorts.

Any replies to the thoughts in my brain would be uber appreciated ;)
Actually, it's the opposite. The legs are longer and thinner than they should be IMO. I just finished a thigh area last night and even with a smaller scale factor of 24.7 (matching the rest of my suit), the thigh was WAY too skinny and WAY to tall. I have to add a piece to extend it out some (wider) and also trim some from the top and bottom.

And BTW, I love the colors of the MK VI. It's a nice balance of red and gold. It's almost a throw back to the older costumes. And I do like the silver accents as well.

I think the gold should have been used to highlight areas, as opposed to paint entire sections. The complete thigh in gold detaches it from the flow of the armour. Thats just my oppinion though. It looks as though they ran out of red paint. The biseps however, i can tolerate. Theyre slowly growing on me as time goes on.

Edit: I just noticed you forgot to disagree with my first point too, about the spaces...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back