reinforcing a xenomorph skull ?

firebapx

im making a xenomorph skull using pepekura files i know its not much at the min its in the very early stages. its been glues together using white pva or elmers if your american. so i know i cant reinforce it with resin as it would just fall apart. im wanting to use paper machey that was my plan all along. just looking for some tips. should i do it in little parts at a time so it dosnt warp due to soggyness or i was thinking of doing the first layer or two with toilet paper instead of news paper just to get it some strength. id love anytips you guys have for me pics below so you can see what i currently have

How soft and soggy is it? You could hit it with auto acrylic clear coat to stiffen it up (but not too much) then add more paper as you see fit to start the fiberglass process.

BTW, nice work. Looks great!

How soft and soggy is it? You could hit it with auto acrylic clear coat to stiffen it up (but not too much) then add more paper as you see fit to start the fiberglass process.

BTW, nice work. Looks great!

im pretty sure i cant use any fiber glass with it as it dissolves white glue

im pretty sure i cant use any fiber glass with it as it dissolves white glue

I would coat it with some primer spray paint (carefully so as not to get it really wet and warped). Put thin layers on it and allow them to dry fully in between layers. Then you can put resin/fiber glass over it because the paint will act as a barrier for the glue.

When applying the resin I would only do small batches and let them cure so they don't warp the piece from the weight of it all being covered in it. (Basically same principal as the paper mache)

Another method you could use is to "paint" a few layers of wood glue on it before applying any paper mache/resin. When cured you can sand woodglue and it is pretty sturdy. This would give you a nice skin to be able to paper mache or resin/fiberglass over but again, I would do little by little on the paper mache or fiberglass.

I would coat it with some primer spray paint (carefully so as not to get it really wet and warped). Put thin layers on it and allow them to dry fully in between layers. Then you can put resin/fiber glass over it because the paint will act as a barrier for the glue.

When applying the resin I would only do small batches and let them cure so they don't warp the piece from the weight of it all being covered in it. (Basically same principal as the paper mache)

Another method you could use is to "paint" a few layers of wood glue on it before applying any paper mache/resin. When cured you can sand woodglue and it is pretty sturdy. This would give you a nice skin to be able to paper mache or resin/fiberglass over but again, I would do little by little on the paper mache or fiberglass.

that sounds like a good plan wasnt going to glass it at all but maby i should for the sheer added strength before doing anything like that i want to add some more raised areas so im thinking paper machey clay to get all the details i want in it then coat it like you suggested and resin it before painting

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back