Dark Knight Foam/Styrene DONE with Pics

Egon

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Starting a Dark Knight Batsuit. Made of styrene and foam. I'll try and get some templates up if anyone is interested. Lemme know what ya think! Sorry about the lousy photos.

The chest is vacformed with a buck i made with mat black auto primer and foam over it.. the abs are styrene and foam.

Last edited:
Re: Dark Knight Foam/Styrene

This is great so far man.

Feel free to leave templates. People are going to ask I"m sure anyways :)

I will be the first one to suffer the loss of dignity and ask politely for the templates if it wouldn't be too much trouble. I'm planning on a doing a comic style batsuit for Halloween (starting this early so I have time to make it nice) and I want a nice modern armor pattern to go underneath the cloth layer.

I am trying to find a good way to transfer my templates to a pdf file, but they were hand drawn and I'm short on time these days (job and interning.)

Thanks guys for the kind words! I found some awesome rubber flooring at work that was being scrapped and snagged what I could. It is very dense, and stab resistant (yes, I tried it.) I'll be working on the biceps this week and possibly a manny to hang it on to work on.

I'll update with templates when i can!

I might actually be able to help with your file conversions, if you have the hand drawn temps scanned in or have taken pictures and are having trouble converting the picture files to pdf you might try this: JPEGtoPDF - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Downloads

It's called JpegToPDF, its free, and it will transfer almost any image file to pdf format, you can even do batch creations for multiple images into one pdf. There's probably a limit to how many images will fit into one pdf file, but I've done 200+ without any problems. Also I really didn't mean to jack the thread :p, the piece is looking great so far really clean details, still don't know how everyone gets such straight smooth lines out of foam.

Looks like you're off to a really good start, I'm looking forward to updates

what foam did you use for the breast plate?

Im' doing the same thing, but I was thinking of building it up with the EVA puzzle piece foam then topping it off with either a foamie or the rolled up EVA mat.

The Foam for the breast plate is foamies laid over vac formed plastic from a bold I made.

I think what I will do for the templates is to photograph them at a distance that will minimize distortion, pull them into illustrator to trace them, adjust the scale and them post em. Thanks for the suggestion of that converter, I will check it out.

I got some new rubber that is actually flooring. My boss was throwing away some scraps so I nabbed a few pieces.

Here are some better pictures.

The Foam for the breast plate is foamies laid over vac formed plastic from a bold I made.

I think what I will do for the templates is to photograph them at a distance that will minimize distortion, pull them into illustrator to trace them, adjust the scale and them post em. Thanks for the suggestion of that converter, I will check it out.

I got some new rubber that is actually flooring. My boss was throwing away some scraps so I nabbed a few pieces.

Here are some better pictures.

This is great awesome start I look forward ta seein this progress good job Egon!!!!

Definitely looking good so far. I like that you kept the bat symbol as one piece instead of splitting/creasing it down the center. Personally I don't like that the batsuits from Nolan's films don't make better use of the bat symbol, that's my only complaint about the new suits, well and the M.C. Escher pants.

Definitely looking good so far. I like that you kept the bat symbol as one piece instead of splitting/creasing it down the center. Personally I don't like that the batsuits from Nolan's films don't make better use of the bat symbol, that's my only complaint about the new suits, well and the M.C. Escher pants.

Thanks! I just did that out of the ease of vac forming one piece instead of 2 or making the one piece very thin in the middle. I think it works well enough. I may etch in some of the lines to create a more accurate look.

I should have some more updates tonight after work. AMC is playing batman films all day, so after work I think I might hunker down and work while I watch

Did a bit more work tonight. the front is now wearable and I am working on the back section.

I took a trip to the discount store today to try and source some foam materials for the build. I ended up getting a few more things than I expected! I found a back support belt for a few dollars that I think will work very well. It has straps in place suspender style, and velcrow pads in the front, perfect for attaching armor pieces. I also picked up a yoga mat for a few dollars, a great wide, long piece of foam. Knee pads will be used (hopefully) as the start of the shoulder pads. And they also had 3 rolls of friction tape for 1 dollar! Hopefully that will help add durability and texture to the build.

I am having a bit of trouble trying to piece it all together. I want it to look fairly good, though I am aware I won't achieve, anything close to screen accuracy, obviously. My goal is to create something that looks functional and tangible. Any help on assembly, strapping systems, how to attach pieces to get a solid form would be great!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back