Pepakura Phase 2 Clone Trooper bucket and armor WIP (UPDATE 7/16) Armor pep files

Fierfek

Sr Member
Greetings all,

In addition to the various builds I am currently working on I decided to post my progress of the pepakura ROTS clone trooper helmet. This particular file I believe was modelled by matrixskull and seems to be based on the Master Replica helmet. The proportions are very close, so I decided to scale the helmet to the MR dimensions. Since this file also includes the macro binoculars for a clone commander, I plan to paint this helmet like commander Deviss's. Enjoy the pics.

Re: Pepakura Episode 3 Clone Trooper bucket WIP

Update:

Today I fiberglass resined the inside and outside of the helmet and the mowhawk. I also used expanding foam to fill the detail boxes for the macro-binoculars. I will probably fiberglass mat the inside tomorrow.

Looking good. I always liked the RoTS Clones the most, but then, I'm a Trilogy purist.

Thanks I like all of the clone trooper helmets except for the airborne trooper. I would never wear that beehive helmet. Trilogy purest you say, just wait until the saga is released in 3d back in theaters.

Update:

After restocking on materials and time, I started the initial sanding of the hard edges. Likewise, I cut the visor out and trimmed the bottom of the helmet a little for a better fit. I will start the filling and smoothing later in the week.

Re: Pepakura Episode 3 Clone Trooper bucket WIP (UPDATE 4/25)

nicely done fierfek, I was planning to pep a few of these clone helmets after I complete my iron man armor. subscribed

as a pep build - good going mate.

and if you are wanting to do it just for the 'lets build it from scratch' side of things great, but there are very reasonably priced suppliers for accurate lids nowadays.

seems like a lot of time and work (dont get me wrong, I like pep, but all that FGing, then bonding and sanding etc etc etc).

Also the pep doesnt look accurate to the CGI/movie helmet if that is your kinda thing. It appears to be tapering towards the top, it should be straight down from the side of the dome to the tubes.

trooper-helmet_6648.jpg

enjoy!

Actually the tapering can be corrected at the resin and fiberglass stage with a heat gun and some patience. then bondo to really hone the details. the fun part to me though is the build and watching something take shape under my nose knowing I am the man that created it. So far great stuff.

oh I agree, hance my caveat abt "lets build it from scratch"

I have used pepakura myself, this started life as a pep model, and is a much simple design, but have yet to get it 'just right' to pass off as a 501st acceptable galactic marine

208612_10150222791933783_529148782_8601701_4270616_n.jpg

it depends on what the purposes is, if we are talking halloween or personal satisfaction great. We all build for different reasons.

nicely done fierfek, I was planning to pep a few of these clone helmets after I complete my iron man armor. subscribed

Thanks. Your iron man helmet is looking good. You are welcome to my unfold of the clone trooper helmet if you're interested.

as a pep build - good going mate.

and if you are wanting to do it just for the 'lets build it from scratch' side of things great, but there are very reasonably priced suppliers for accurate lids nowadays.

seems like a lot of time and work (dont get me wrong, I like pep, but all that FGing, then bonding and sanding etc etc etc).

Also the pep doesnt look accurate to the CGI/movie helmet if that is your kinda thing. It appears to be tapering towards the top, it should be straight down from the side of the dome to the tubes.

trooper-helmet_6648.jpg

enjoy!

I am aware of the excellent 501st acceptable helmets. Also, I think it is commendable to approach costuming from the " lets build it from scratch " maxim. I have noticed that this particular model is not screen accurate. When I start these builds I treat the model as a base that I will endeavour to make as accurate as possible, unless I explicitly design my work from scratch aiming for complete accuracy as everyone will see in a project to come.

I feel that the knowleadge, experience, and satisfaction far surpasses the time and work put into the build, even if I don't wind up with a O.S.C.S quality helmet. Thank you for pointing out the inaccuracies though, I will try to fix it to the best of my abillities.

Actually the tapering can be corrected at the resin and fiberglass stage with a heat gun and some patience. then bondo to really hone the details. the fun part to me though is the build and watching something take shape under my nose knowing I am the man that created it. So far great stuff.

Thanks for the advice. I will have to pick up a heat gun soon. After looking through your iron man thread, I saw the merit of the heat gun in your success. I completely concur that it is far more fulfilling building things yourself, rather than buying something already made.

Harbor freight has a good deal on a heat gun going right now if you live in the US. I do like your progress so far. There are merits to buying something and still having to put in the time and skill to assemble it but outright buying something off the shelf is no fun at all. This has to be a to five favorite hobby I have ever come across in my life thus far. And the results can be so rewarding for even little things like getting an edge to finally look right or watching the object take shape through each step of the build ... it is less intense but comparable to watching your kids grow up.

Harbor freight has a good deal on a heat gun going right now if you live in the US. I do like your progress so far. There are merits to buying something and still having to put in the time and skill to assemble it but outright buying something off the shelf is no fun at all. This has to be a to five favorite hobby I have ever come across in my life thus far. And the results can be so rewarding for even little things like getting an edge to finally look right or watching the object take shape through each step of the build ... it is less intense but comparable to watching your kids grow up.

Thanks for the heads up on the heat gun, if anything I might pick one up at Lowes or something. I agree, these builds certainly offer challenges that make one acquire a few skills through experience and dedication.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the complements. I will probably do some more sanding today. Yesterday I patched up some spots where the fiberglass wasn't completely flush against the inside with expanding foam. I'm almost to the filling stage now.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back