Painting Sintra plastic, tutorial ?

tk1780

Hey Gang.

I know someone from the dented helmet will likly know the answer to this, I was curious to find out how well Sintra takes paint, and any type of either primer or what type of paint is best ? Have a small project I need to do and am thinking of going with Sintra unless someone can tell how well ABS paints and how well it will hold paint.

kind of a lame questions guys sorry, but some advice on painting this stuff would be great before I start on this. Thanks.

Sintra takes paint just fine. Sintra is not as smooth as ABS however and will need some additional primering and sanding if you want a perfectly smooth surface.

Tutorial:

1. Buy Sintra.
2. Buy Paint.
3. Apply Paint.
4. Let Dry.

That's really about it! Depending on the paint, and the intended use of the item, hitting it with primer first wouldn't hurt.

Scott

Thanks guys, just wanted to get an idea as to how durable it was before buying any to use as a test. :thumbsup

I made some TIE armor (just the basic shape) out of Sintra. I used black "Hard Hat" paint. A coat of primer, and then several light coats of black, and the thing holds up to scratches quite well.

Scott

Tutorial:

1. Buy Sintra.
2. Buy Paint.
3. Apply Paint.
4. Let Dry.

That's really about it! Depending on the paint, and the intended use of the item, hitting it with primer first wouldn't hurt.

Scott

yeah, that's about what i do, right down to the "primer wouldn't hurt"... sometimes i use it, sometimes i don't. it usually depends on if i have any primer handy when i start painting ;)

Sintra is PVC. If you'd use it to paint PVC pipe, it'll work to paint Sintra.

If you're really paranoid about the paint adhesion, you can get a product called "Bulldog" which is an adhesion promoter. Look for it at your local paint store. It comes in a spray can.

I generally primer everything before paint. That way I can get a handle on whether or not the surface is smooth before I apply paint.

-Gordon

I don't know if it would work... or even help, but in the Automotive section at Wal-Mart you can buy a self-etching Primer. I've heard that it can be useful on some things.

Any suggestions for sealing the cut edges on thicker sintra so that it will be smooth like the surface? It tends to soak up paint and still have a dull look to it.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back