Nordic carved armour - Skyrim

fallimar

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey, Falli here.

I'm doing a fast and somewhat sloppy foam version of the Nordic carved armour from Skyrim's Dragonborn expansion. I thought it'd be nice to document my progress and maybe get some tips from people who are actually good at this sort of thing.

I'm not using any sort of pattern, just eyeballing; drawing out rough shapes on cardstock as rough foam templates, then slapping it all together. I want a couple of pieces ready for an expo in a couple of weeks time, so it's not my best work, but it should suffice for now!

Here's my progress so far on the helmet, hopefully more detailing and photos to come soon :)
NordicProgress2.jpgNordicProgress3.jpg

Hm. Progress is happening, helm's almost ready for sealing. Anyone watching though - I've got PVA glue to seal the foam with, so that's what I'm using. I hear plasti-dip is great for it too, though I've also heard of a heat method? I'd like to find a really effective way of not only sealing the foam but creating a slightly more rigid surface that won't crack so easily with paint applied. Anyone have experience with multiple methods that could give me a tip or two? Much appreciated! Thanks :)

Right! Helm's all shaped up ready for sealing. Got a few snaps before I cover it in white gunk. Also, bonus wrist piece. So rough, but time is of the essence, heh.
NordicProgress4.jpgNordicProgress5.jpgNordicProgress6.jpgNordicProgressWrist1.jpg

This looks great! Super fast too. As for sealing, I haven't gotten to that step yet, but I just bought a couple cans of Liquid Electrical Tape off of amazon, this thread has lots of info on finishing foam stuff. Doc says in a more recent post on that thread that he's started using Liquid Electrical Tape in spray cans, it's the same company as Plasti-Dip but is much better, it's flexible and strong, and in the spray cans doesn't leave brush strokes.

If you call that "fast and sloppy" your best work must be completely out of this world. Your helmet looks awesome,I haven't worked with foam yet but I have been thinking about it.

This looks great! Super fast too. As for sealing, I haven't gotten to that step yet, but I just bought a couple cans of Liquid Electrical Tape off of amazon, this thread has lots of info on finishing foam stuff. Doc says in a more recent post on that thread that he's started using Liquid Electrical Tape in spray cans, it's the same company as Plasti-Dip but is much better, it's flexible and strong, and in the spray cans doesn't leave brush strokes.
Ah! That stuff looks like exactly what I've been after. Seems it comes in liquid and spray form and is available in Australia! That thread is awesome, thanks so much! :D

i need to get that dlc =/
It's worth playing, cool quests, nostalgia for morrowind and kick-arse new gear. :)

If you call that "fast and sloppy" your best work must be completely out of this world. Your helmet looks awesome,I haven't worked with foam yet but I have been thinking about it.
Aww, thanks man. Far too kind. I dunno though, I've never really had the chance to do what I'd consider my "best" work, This is probably the second ever foam armour project I've done - the first being the joint effort of myself and my friend Harvester85 who did a gambit costume. I made the jacket and helped a lot with the boots. I used to make mascot kinda costumes, but not particularly well. Just learning some new techniques! Pepakura too. Never worked with half of this stuff, loving it though!

Last edited:
Well, here are the wrist pieces, ready for sealing. I put together the pieces I'd cut for the greaves, but they're too small so it's time for a do-over. Great timing, that sets me back a few hours and the expo is this weekend! This will be interesting...
NordicProgressWrist2.jpg

Well, here are the wrist pieces, ready for sealing. I put together the pieces I'd cut for the greaves, but they're too small so it's time for a do-over. Great timing, that sets me back a few hours and the expo is this weekend! This will be interesting...
View attachment 201252

Sure I'd say you'll get the most of it done in a day or two! just go hell for leather!!

Tonight's been good for progress. Wrist and boot fur parts completed and greaves and wrists sealed. The greaves need a few more coats, but are almost ready to go. Strapping's in production. The patterns for the fur worked first time, which is ace when I'm on such a tight deadline.
NordicProgress8.jpgNordicProgressWrist3.jpgNordicProgressWrist4.jpg

Excellent...what silver did you use?

Rob

Sent from [location encrypted]...somewhere on the Tharkside of Barsoom ;)

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back