New Zealand Iron Man -(update 1.20.14)- display upgrade

Re: New Zealand Iron Man -(update 9.17.12 - helmet electrics pt2)

Cool build, litteraly with the fan ;-) Smart to use old cans.
Keep up the work!

Re: New Zealand Iron Man -(update 9.19.12 - weathering and damaged feet)

So I started my weathering process following advice of others on these forums. I started with a drybrush of matt black acrylic over the whole piece, concentrating in some areas to produce dirtier parts. Then I used some silver paint sprayed onto a scrumpled piece of paper and lightly and quickly 'buffed' it across the piece, picking out some of the edges, and some random areas of simulated scratches. Finally I mixed a sort of dark mustard/brown colour acrylic, and did a really light dry brush over the top of everything which subltly changed some of the silver areas and gave the piece a bit more depth.

As a final touch I selected a few pieces to gouge, using a soldering iron. I've limited the pieces that receive this treatment as it would be easy to go too far with both the weathering and damage. For now it's limited to the hand plates, as these are high wear areas :lol

These pics also showcase my hand repulsors finally finished. I fashioned a switch of sorts by cutting a wire, and baring the ends of the cut part. These two bare ends are glued into the gap between one of the finger armour plates. Thusly when I extend my fingers fully, the light comes on. Relax, and it turns off. Simple :cool

Great looking hands there sir. I love the battle-damaged look. It looks so realistic.

Hehe thanks mate. Not bad considering they were originally gloves that I used for collecting shellfish, and working on the car :D

that helmet has turned out amazing for being foam! I'm from new plymouth, it was funny seeing that you're from nz cos as soon as I started reading your post I heard it in a kiwi accent in my head hahaha

Haha thanks man! Ironic that you hear kiwi in my writing as I actually have an English accent :p

I have been timid about weathering a suit I am working on for my 10 year old. After seeing how you did your hands, I see it is a neccessity now. You make it sound so simple. I can't wait to try it this weekend. Awesome job!!!!!

I have been timid about weathering a suit I am working on for my 10 year old. After seeing how you did your hands, I see it is a neccessity now. You make it sound so simple. I can't wait to try it this weekend. Awesome job!!!!!

Thanks mate :) My advice would be to practice on something else first. Even unpainted foam will do for a practice run. Use very little paint on the brush when dry brushing. Best way is to dip just the very tip in the paint, then swirl the brush around on some newspaper to get most of the paint out. You can 'recharge' the brush from the bits left on the newspaper a couple of times. Start light and its easy to add more. Start heavy and its much harder to take it off! With the silver paint on the scrumpled paper, the touch is very very light on the piece you are weathering. You only need a handful of passes to get a decent effect. Again, less is more! Use at least two colours of paint for the dry brush (hence the need for light coats) as it really makes the weathering much more realistic. Three or even four colours would probably give an even better effect. Dark ones first, lightening as you go.

Re: New Zealand Iron Man -(update 9.21.12 - more weathering and Iron Administrator)

Just a small update showing another area of weathering on my margarine tub hip pods. I am really pleased with how these turned out considering their origins!

Here's a picture just for fun of when I took my helmet to work to become Iron administrator for the day :cool

Last edited:
Re: New Zealand Iron Man -(update 9.21.12 - more weathering and Iron Administrator)

Using that voicechanger on a phone would have been gold! :p

Re: New Zealand Iron Man -(update 9.21.12 - Torso and Helmet damaged)

Ive been busy with the soldering iron and dry brushing! Ive finished my weathering and damage of the helmet and torso. I decided to keep the damage relatively light. You could go really far with it reasonably easily, but I wanted to retain some of the paint finish that I managed to achieve. Ive also added a bit of silver via dry brushing into the depths of the gouges since I took the first few photos, so they look more realistic. The last helmet shot shows the silver detail.

Enough talk. Here are the pics. Unibeam was turned off for these btw.

Still working on the rest of the arms and legs and some finishing touches. The finishing touches seem to be taking as long as building the whole suit!

Last edited:
Re: New Zealand Iron Man - My build thread (update - helmet fully painted)

That's exactly right mate. In a house alarm circuit, the switch is installed on the door frame, and the magnet on the door. The magnet is usually housed in an unobtrusive white plastic shell. The switches are designed to 'break' if a door is opened, i.e. if the magnet is moved away from the switch. This entirely suited my application! The magnet is strong enough to activate the switch if it's within about 1cm of it, so it doesnt need to be mounted very accurately to work. Rather fortunately the switch is also the exact same size as my 'chin' area so it fits perfectly. These switches are incredibly cheap too.

Here's a pic of the switch as viewed from the outside. You can also see my cheek covers made from textured rubber, and the boom mic for part 2 of my helmet electrics :cool

When you wired up your "alarm magnet switch" did yours have 4 wires?.....i'm pretty much clueless with wiring but i'm guessing 2 are for the power and 2 for your lights?

No mate. The switch just had two connections so when closed it acts like those two connections are joined. I used the negative wire to go through the switch as it was common to the lights and fan. Can draw you a pic if it helps :)

i may have to take mine apart and remove the wire that came with it to get a better look at what i need to do then

I would just test it before you dismantle it. It's possible that the four wires allow you to switch two circuits. If you take a pic of your switch and its connections, and PM it to me along with what you want to switch (IE the rest of your components), ill draw you a circuit diagram, and advise you how to test the switch to see what's what :)

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back