NCR Veteran Ranger WIP

CplSharko

Hello everybody!

About 2 or 3 weeks ago, I got the idea into my head that I'd build my very own NCR Veteran Ranger costume from Fallout New Vegas. While I am completely new to pepakura, resining and prop-building in general, I would like to post a few pictures of what I have here, seeing as how this community would be the best place to get feedback on my efforts. (Sorry about the pictures; I didn't think I'd be posting these anywhere on the internet, so I didn't really get 'proper' work in progress pictures)

The thing has been resined, sanded and is ready for bondo. (There's a video on my youtube channel with the results of that (cplsharko)).

So... if you read this, thanks for taking the time. Feedback of any kind is appreciated, and a huge shout-out to Kommissar for providing a proper WIP instructional thread; it's helped my out immensely.
Picture%20008.jpg

Nice to see another NCR Vet Ranger pop up! I'm about 75% through mine, plan on wearing yours to any specific upcoming con? I'll be debuting mine at San Diego Comic Con 2011.

No plans as of yet, but my eyes are peeled for anything. For the lulz, I planned on doing my daily routine with the entire costume on. Otherwise, Halloween will be the very latest. I live in British Columbia, so I doubt I'd be able to see you at San Diego Comic Con, although it would be nice.

Alright, so it's been a good while since I last posted anything, so here's what I've done.

View attachment 57939

It's come along, but at a snails pace. All I've managed to really do is bondo the helmet. It may just be me, but I think the lens is too close to the helmet, which isn't creating the desired effect. The helmet also seems a bit wide, but again, that may just be me.

I also managed to find a California Republic flag.

View attachment 57940

It almost seems a shame to alter it; it looks pretty nice on my wall.

So yeah, just a little progress report. I'm currently looking everywhere for a duster. I have literally no sewing experience, so building on is out of the question. If anyone knows where I can find a (preferably, but not necessarily) cheap duster, it'd be much appreciated.

Thanks.

And back again.

So I've decided I would keep what I've done with the cardboard, pepakura, resin and bondo, but start over using an M1 Helmet Line for the actual helmet, and styrene for the mask. I'm hoping it will yield better result, because from what I've seen it seems to work wonders.

In the meantime, I've done some work on the body. I started off with a cardboard stencil which I can use to reproduce the vest.

View attachment 58276

And I bought myself some foam puzzle square things from Zellers for about $10. I got so much I could easily make another foam vest. Using a dremel and some 400 grit sandpaper, I sanded down the corners and edges.

View attachment 58277

Looks good, I think.

Still looking for a duster. I was thinking of getting scrap metal for the arm-guards, as well as getting some spent ammo casings for the replica bullet belt. I'd fill the casings with bondo. But that's just what I plan on doing; seems cheap, anyway.

Thanks again for taking the time. If you have any questions, or any ideas on where I can get a duster, I'd be more than happy to hear from you.

Last edited:
Alright. So, it's been a while. Went on vacation for the whole month of July, but that's not important really. What IS important is that I've been working. Hard.

Remember that old mask I made a while ago? The one made solely with pepakura and cardboard? Yeah, I kinda scrapped that and started over. It looks better, I think.

View attachment 63579

Was I wrong? Here's it from the inside, all resined and fiberglassed.

View attachment 63580

And I've also worked on the vest a little bit. Added some decals and some weathering.

View attachment 63581

All rigged together using cardboard and utility strapping.

View attachment 63582

I also managed to find a trench-coat. I know it's not the Simplicity Costume Pattern one all the other rangers tend to prefer, but I found this one at a thrift store for $20 and thought 'why not?'. It was probably cheaper to get this bad-boy than it would be to buy the pattern, buy the cloth, and learn to sew.

View attachment 63583

All in all, this is what the finished product is turning out to become.

View attachment 63584

I still need to add some details to the helmet (lights, weathering, lenses, etc.), but I just felt a little progress report was in order. I should be done by next week at the latest.

And, as always, thanks for taking the time to read this; it means a lot to know my efforts are at least being watched.

View attachment 64113

There. It's done. After god knows how long, it's finally finished.

I'll post more/better pics later, when I get home from vacation and get the camera back.

And a small part of me feels bad; this was supposed to be a work-in-progress/how-to thread, not just a showcase my work type thread. It's just that things escalated so quickly once I started over, it was hard to take pictures because.... well, negligence , really. I apologize.

Any and all questions will be answered as my way of trying to make things right. So, by all means, leave a comment.

nice work man!!
and thanks for the shoutout!

it makes me really happy seeing pull off quality work, especially fallout themed stuff, and especially if they got ideas from my stuff!
the metallic shine of your armor is a different effect to mine, i kind of like it!

i have two suggestions, if you don't mind?
get some faded pants, yours look a little too new, also beat the crap out of your jacket, i attacked mine with a belt sander, but running over it with a car a few times and beating it in the dirt and against a tree should work out.

secondly, i would suggest getting a spandex hood to wear under the mask, so it covers your neck, the bare skin does look nearly as cool, or 'well armored' as having a black neck that blends in with your costume.

great work man!

edit, might want to change the position of the belt across the chest, too.
mines just attached to the armor, and only goes around the front half of the armor, the rest is just cut down and glued inside

Last edited:
nice work man!!
and thanks for the shoutout!

it makes me really happy seeing pull off quality work, especially fallout themed stuff, and especially if they got ideas from my stuff!
the metallic shine of your armor is a different effect to mine, i kind of like it!

i have two suggestions, if you don't mind?
get some faded pants, yours look a little too new, also beat the crap out of your jacket, i attacked mine with a belt sander, but running over it with a car a few times and beating it in the dirt and against a tree should work out.

secondly, i would suggest getting a spandex hood to wear under the mask, so it covers your neck, the bare skin does look nearly as cool, or 'well armored' as having a black neck that blends in with your costume.

great work man!

edit, might want to change the position of the belt across the chest, too.
mines just attached to the armor, and only goes around the front half of the armor, the rest is just cut down and glued inside

To finally speak to the man that's helped out so much is... well, quite an honor, in my books. You and GCNgamer have helped me out so much with your threads, I just want to say thanks again.

For the armor and the helmet, I sprayed it with a base coat of primer, and then some matte grey paint. When it was all dried, I sprayed a paintbrush with silver spray paint and haphazardly ran it over everything, giving it a nice, natural looking weathered appearance. Simple, effective, and cheap.

I will definitely consider beating the crap out of my coat. Sounds like a lot of fun, to be honest. Same goes for my jeans. And I'll start looking for something to cover my neck, because I agree, it could look better. The belt already has been glued in place, and I didn't realize it sagged too low/was too horizontal until after it was done. I will fix it... eventually.

Thanks for the suggestions. And thanks again for being awesome. If it wasn't for your tutorials I never would have started this thing. First steps are always the hardest, and you made them easy for me.

Hello everybody!

About 2 or 3 weeks ago, I got the idea into my head that I'd build my very own NCR Veteran Ranger costume from Fallout New Vegas. While I am completely new to pepakura, resining and prop-building in general, I would like to post a few pictures of what I have here, seeing as how this community would be the best place to get feedback on my efforts. (Sorry about the pictures; I didn't think I'd be posting these anywhere on the internet, so I didn't really get 'proper' work in progress pictures)

The thing has been resined, sanded and is ready for bondo. (There's a video on my youtube channel with the results of that (cplsharko)).

So... if you read this, thanks for taking the time. Feedback of any kind is appreciated, and a huge shout-out to Kommissar for providing a proper WIP instructional thread; it's helped my out immensely.
Picture%20008.jpg
Ok quiestion,where would one get the templates?I looked ALL over only one i found was either paperwork(no thank you) and the other by hugho or something around that,but the files are broken or something,anyway you can seeend me the file without the whole proccess of torrent files and what not?

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back