My Frodo Baggins costume from LOTR, Costume totally remade more accurate

Andrewshaddox

I've always been a HUGE fan of Lord of the Rings and decided a while ago to start a Frodo Baggins costume! I also have friends doing Sam, Merry, and Pippin so they will probably pop up in here somewhere too!

I've been working on it awhile, and I'll have to catch this thread up to my current progress, but the hope is to get it "totally" done by San Diego Comic Con this summer!

So first of is the Hobbit feet! We started with some monster feet and cheap shoes. I did all the building and hair, and my friend James is doing all the painting.

8620693720_a4b1442736.jpg

8620693744_f2c3f4d214.jpg

Here they are with the amazing paint job from James all tinted to each of our skin tones.

8620693772_27bd24b416_b.jpg

Last edited:
Re: My Frodo Baggins costume from LOTR

I also created my own working Phial of Galadriel or Light of Elendil to carry around in my pocket!

8620693828_3442f2d348_b.jpg

Last edited:

I'm impressed, what did you use to make it light up?

I actually have a light and battery pack out of a lightsaber hidden in my hand! No one can see it when I hold it out, and it lights up super bright even in a lit room. I would hide it better if I could, but at least it gives a good illusion for costuming purposes!

A Halfling needs his pipe, so we all got these pipes but I wanted mine to look more Hobbit-like. It's kinda based off Bilbo's (even though I'm Frodo).

Added the string to the stem, and carved out an end piece and detail painted and weathered.

8621997671_4677f0792e_b.jpg

8621997701_a832d6dd01_b.jpg

Last edited:

And here is the exact replica of The One Ring direct from Weta, and I tracked down a chain the exact same length as the one Elijah Wood wore with similar style links.

And the ears are also from Weta, hand made and pulled directly from the mold used for Samwise Gamgee's ears (apparently Elijah Wood has tiny ears, so those wouldn't have fit me.

8621997847_ddd805fccd_b.jpg

Nice build, and fun character you don't see costumed often. Great creativity on the phial/lightsaber.

I remember I wanted to cosplay as Frodo. I wanted to go see the Hobbit as a hobbit with a group of dwarves. But it didn't happen. :(

I can't wait to see your progress. You have the One ring right out of Weta and oh man is that awesome. I have the 18k from Noble Collection and it just doesn't compete against the real thing. :)

Thanks everyone! I have a lot more pics to catch up to my current level of progress that ill post when I can.

Whenever I'm done with this one, I'd like to start a Thorin build!

Ok so I tried to buy a wig off eBay but it ended up looking like a bad 80's rock star so I cut that wig to pieces and used it for the hair on all the hobbit feet.

I ended up instead having to go to an actual wig store and then I did my best to cut it down to look more Frodo-like.

8622000855_09f7aa7bc4_c.jpg

I made The Samwise Shire salt box for my friend and figured I'd make he for Frodo too.

Started with a small box blank, and had to replicate new latches

8621997725_8a4203cfc7_c.jpg

Then carved out the top detail and other box details, stained, painted, and came out alright I think!

8621997757_bc5e391f00_b.jpg

So NOT FINISHED, But here's what it all looks like so far! I have a lot of plans to start upgrading it from here with more movie accurate materials though!!

8631077963_ffb2530e98_b.jpg

Last edited:

That light of elednil looks brilliant !
Perhaps if you feel like it you could make a short "how to"?

i would love to have that in my collection.

This is great. I'm working on the foursome for my kids hopefully they will be ready in time for Phx Comicon. I bought the same feet on amazon, I'm hoping I can make them work for mini people. I thought about attaching them to slip on shoes, thanks for showing me it can be done. I'd love to see a picture of the whole crew!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back