My "First" Avenger

runnriottt

I have to have a break from the universe for a while....

Time to kick some skull! Red ones that is...

CapWWII.jpg

I love the look of this WWII Cap. While the movie will be different, I feel this has a better look and GI Feel then what they did for the upcoming Flick.

I will make 2 shields, one classic round and one like the drawing. I will alter some things, IE 15 stars, it should have 13 in my opinion as well as the stripes being in a better arrangement.

I have started on the main round shield, its cast from a Navy issue steam kettle lid.

IMG_2526.jpg

Pulled the shield, I will pull another this weekend to do the badge shaped one as well. Fiberglass is a hella lot lighter than the Stainless Steel. I added in strap mounts as well while I cast it.

IMG_2533.jpg

P2011_0323_162138.jpg

The back of the costume is out of sight on this pic. I may add in a star for the back, as well as use a Jawa mag belt for the back of the belt. I will be adding a holder for the shield in metal. It will go on the harness around the shoulders.

IMG_2687.jpg

Started on the cowl. Bought this, flipped it around backwards, cut off the ears.
1920 Rich Dark Brown leather style Football Helmet - eBay (item 220758688518 end time Mar-27-11 10:07:14 PDT)

IMG_2684.jpg

From there, I separated the leather from the foam and liner carefully along where I wanted the nose to be. I inserted two metal brackets and shaped them. Then cut the eyeholes. For the time being, it works. I would like to sculpt a new cowl but that will be in the future.

P2011_0323_162408.jpg

I need to do some work on the eye shape, right now I look all crosseyed. I do have a second helmet if I mess it up.

IMG_2694.jpg

Scored some cool looking gloves, hand made, sheep skin. I will loose the fur on the cuff if they dont fold over. Most of these do. They look vintage and the part. I almost went with a wool glove and still may. The issued glove of the day was a green wool with a leather palm. I may snag a set and dye them.

Wool_Glove-3.jpg

Then, I bought a lot of 12 belts. I was looking for more period stuff, but these will do.

Wholesale Lot 12 Double Row Grommet Leather Belt Br New - eBay (item 330319099666 end time Apr-21-11 15:56:45 PDT)

They should weather up nicely. These will be for the harness as well as some hidden harness under the suit. They will also serve as the shield straps. The buckle is removable as well as they are in different sizes. XL/L/M/S. They are double row... the pic shows single, but I think this looks a bit more military plus the price was right.

IMG_2686.jpg

All the parts are vintage WWII if I can swing it. The belts are modern, but I will weather them.

I need a Canteen, M1 Helmet with liner, 45 holster, 45 ammo pouch, another pouch for the right shoulder, find a sweater and dye it...

I also won a period flag. 48 star weathered from use 1944 vintage flag. While it may seem like blasphemy to cut into it, the colors will match to pic better. Plus, there not that rare, landed it on the bay for 35.00.

(PIC)

I have two matching sets of coveralls from here in Japan. These will serve as the bas suit. I have yet to secure sewing service, but I am sure I will land it. The plan is to use the sets for they will fade the same if washed at the same time. Japanese coveralls fade quick.

One set will be the one I wear, one as cloth. The back and the legs will be cut off to make the front flap as well as the pockets on the sides of the legs. I feel it will be better overall if its one part suit, so it will not ride funny or separate in the middle during wear.

IMG_2685.jpg

I have a set of Vietnam issued boots for the Army they have the correct toe. At least the toe in the drawing. They are for the Ghostbuster I all ready have. I did get some leggings, 1944, period correct and spot on. 10 bucks.

I did gat a pretty close pouch for the upper harness on the right side. Its a Korean war small arms pouch. 10.00. I need to dye it brown.

IMG_2682.jpg

So all I have left is the canteen, as well as a .45 holster and two small mag pouches as well as the most important part, the M1. I may just bite the bullet and buy a replica and paint it. So far winning a real one seems to elude me. I keep getting snipe bid.

While I have seen renditions of this drawing done as costumes, so far none have really nailed it. I am trying hard to hit it on the head as best I can. Muted colors, leather matching as close as I can get it... That sort of thing.

I would love to be done by the movie release. Well on the way...

Last edited:
The helmet looks cool but I think the eye shape and position are off, looks too much like spiderman's eyes, and are they are too far apart.

That is a great idea for the helmet! Maybe when you cut the inner area more you can filp it around and fill the outside of the eye a bit.

Looks great so far!

You may be able to add a bit more shape to the nose area - is the helmet thin enough to stitch with a leather awl? You could flip it inside out and sew a little notch where the bridge of the nose is to make it fit tighter there, like in the comic art.

Yea, the cowl is the hardest part. I do need to reshape the eyes... The nose area is also a challenge as the helmet leather is a little thicker, as it has a layer of foam between the liner and the outer shell. Once I get the lenses sorted and the M1 here it may detract the nose shape a little. Its out of context with out the M1. I really don't plan on being with out the helmet much.

I have thought of life casting my head in the future and sculpting this cowl over top... Donno yet.

True, probably best to wait until you see what it looks like with the helmet. And yeah something that thick might be tough to sew. If you decide to give it a shot though, I was able to sew through sneakers (to attach boot tops for '89 Batman boots) with one of these- I bet it would work with your helmet: Tandy Leather Factory - Sewing Awl Kit
(they're cheaper at Hobby Lobby/Michaels)

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back