My Face Off season 2 audition video audition

RussellSculpts

Hey guys, thought I'd post this. I created an original creature concept and brought it to life in hopes of being cast on the next season of Face Off. Was really impressed with the show. Take a look at the you tube video. Let me know what you think. Thanks.
Russell
YouTube - Making the Monster, My Face Off 2 audition video
DSCN0793.jpg

DSCN0785.jpg

Very nice! Given that I know nothing about sculpting, that was pretty neat to see all the steps. Did I miss you mentioning in there how long the process from start to finish was? Just curious because I'm sure they'd want to know that you can work quickly since they don't get a whole lot of time on the show. Just a few days most for projects, right?

I wondered if anyone was going to try for this. I'm amazed at the various things you used to make your sculpt.

Am I the only one that thinks it's kind of cute? I mean, look at those big black eyes and big tongue... She reminds me of a spider puppy.

Hopefully that doesn't come off as insulting... because I do like it.

Very nice! Given that I know nothing about sculpting, that was pretty neat to see all the steps. Did I miss you mentioning in there how long the process from start to finish was? Just curious because I'm sure they'd want to know that you can work quickly since they don't get a whole lot of time on the show. Just a few days most for projects, right?
Yeah they get just three days(24hrs) and work fast and dirty. This project took me a little longer, 35 to 40hrs. But I took my time and made a production mold. My materials are different too, requiring longer work time. On the show i saw them use water clay and molds of ultra cal. I used oil clay and made a fiberglass injection mold with a core. Also this was an ambitious creature design with the legs and all. On the show I saw mostly they did appliances to the face and parts of the body. I'm sure i can do it in the time frame and look forward for the chance.

Russel, that was great!!!

Prepare to find this thread on the Facebook RPF page. That is, once the Facebook team finds this thread ;)

Michael

You've got my vote Russ. :thumbsup

My only critique might be to give it a little more personality. I don't think anyone can argue that you have the skills to kick ass up and down this show, but I'm getting a real "Bob Ross" vibe from ya. Most of the time these reality shows are about the drama between contestants rather than the contest itself. FaceOff didn't go to the extreme with this, but I'm sure that's what the producers were pushing for.

Oh and great tip about the coke cans! I'm definitely going to use that one in the future.

Last edited:

My only critique might be to give it a little more personality. I don't think anyone can argue that you have the skills to kick ass up and down this show, but I'm getting a real "Bob Ross" vibe from ya. Most of the time these reality shows are about the drama between contestants rather than the contest itself. FaceOff didn't go to the extreme with this, but I'm sure that's what the producers were pushing for.

Agreed, I think you're going to need to be a bit more lively. The show wants a great artist, but also someone who's going to have a lot of energy in front of the camera. I really hope you make it on the show!! *fingers crossed* :thumbsup

Very cool and i absolutely hate spiders so it has to be impressive for me to like lol. Hopefully you make it onto the show.

Agreed, I think you're going to need to be a bit more lively. The show wants a great artist, but also someone who's going to have a lot of energy in front of the camera. I really hope you make it on the show!! *fingers crossed* :thumbsup

Yes yes yes. I can be more lively, But I consider myself more of the "Conner" personalty type, and he won. Plus I was under a lot of stress so I wasn't concentrating on my acting skills, but more to show I had the knowledge and talent to pull it off. But i'm sure they want some drama so i'll try not to be so clinical.
Oh by the way, great news. The casting department called me today. Less than 24hrs after I sent my stuff. they liked it but want to see more of me actually applying a make up effect to my own face. So I had to rush home after stopping by the make up supply place to replinish, come up with something totally new and do it tonight, so i did and here's the video. Hope I get another call!(y)thumbsup

YouTube - Face Off season 2 second look audition video
I know, I'm still stiff in this one too. But i was under more pressure to get this done tonight and make the video to send.

Oh and great tip about the coke cans! I'm definitely going to use that one in the future.
Gotta love those happy little trees....rip.

Awesome work Russell! Just watched through your video. Very informative and you really showcased your talent and originality. Crossing my fingers for you buddy.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back