My custom inner boot lifts

James Kenobi 1138

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've had a few PM's asking about the lifts I use on my Darth Vader costume.

I made my from wood after being disappointed with store-bought ones.

I am 5'8" barefoot, but in my Darth Vader costume between the inner boot lifts and the height of the helmet I'm usually about 6'5" tall.

Here is a photo I took with a camera on a tripod showing me standing in the same place both barefoot and in full costume. BTW, my eyes are behind the lenses of my helmet, my head really is that much higher with these lifts on.

composit2_crop-vi.jpg

My lifts go inside just regular boots, I don't wear elevator shoes.

boots-vi.jpg

Okay, here you go.

I gotta tell you, the height is great but these things are dogs to wear. I made these as 'prototypes' but they worked so well I've never tried to make more comfortable versions.

Originally I used some 3 inch lifts I found online.
The 2 biggest problems were:
(1) they arched my foot so much that all my weight was resting on the ball of my foot
(2) because the lift was just a lift and free floating inside my boot I was basically standing on my tip-toes balancing all my weight in costume.

Because my foot was in a 'wearing high-heels' position in the back of my boot the majority of the 'foot' area of the boot was empty and folded funny when I would walk.

I designed these lifts to solve several problems.
1. Raise my foot up but lessen the amount of angle required (keep my foot as horizontal as possible)
2. Make the lift to fit snug inside the boot so they become one unit and don't shift around so when I'm wearing them they feel rock-solid
3. Keep the foot area of the boot rigid so when I walk the foot area does not bend in the middle and looks more natural
4. Increase my height as much as I can squeeze out of this set-up and still be able to walk

Here is what I came up with.

IMG_4630-vi.jpg

Ugly I know, but pretty solid.

First I cut a foot shape out of 5/8" plywood. Then I started cutting, shaping, and attaching lift sized pieces using my store bought lifts as a guide.

IMG_4632-vi.jpg

The duct tape is there just to round over the edge plus it adds the little bit I needed to get these to a proper 3".

IMG_4638-vi.jpg

I usually wear a size 10 but my boots are a size 14 to give me the extra room to get my angled foot up in the back of the boot area.

IMG_4640-vi.jpg

I use a trimmed insole to cushion my foot a little.

IMG_4642-vi.jpg

While the piece of wood running the length of the boot makes the lifts secure and tight inside the boot, the main reason I designed them this way was to take some of the strain off the ball of my foot.

With just a 3" lift, my heel is 3" higher then the bottom of the inside of the boot but the ball of my foot would be touching the inside of the bottom of the boot at a high angle.

In my configuration, my heel is still 3" higher but the ball of my foot is almost an inch higher making my foot closer to horizontal and at a much less extreme angle increasing comfort. Plus, instead of the ball of my foot sitting on the inside bottom of the boot and being 3/4" off the ground, now it's over an inch off the ground and every little bit of height helps.

IMG_4648-vi.jpg

IMG_4646-vi.jpg

And snug down in the boot.

IMG_4650-vi.jpg

Hope that helps !

Last edited:
I wear a 10 also and have 12's for on order for my TFA Cap, so that I could add in a 2" lift. You think the two size increase will be enough?

I think it depends on the size of your foot, and the cut of the boot.

My foot is crammed in tight, but I'm stuffing my foot in a space that is just big enough because I've removed so much of the free space.

I used to use a pair of 'costume quality' boots ($35 from eBay) that were a size Large and fit size 10-12. With store bought 3" lifts I was able to get my foot in with a little room to spare but the foot part of the boot did fold funny in the middle when I would walk because there was nothing in there to keep it stiff.

Wow, those look incredibly uncomfortable. The things men go through for fashion... :lol

They really do the job though - you look great suited up.

I'm 6'2" and was thinking about adding a couple more inches via lifts once I see how I look in full costume. The main issue would be that I wear a 14/15 so finding boots with surplus room is difficult, to say the least.

Anyway, great job on the suit! Someday you'll make a podiatrist very wealthy. :cool

This is similar, but better, that what I use. I'm 5'11" with a size 9-9.5 foot. I use a Size 12 boot, with its own heel and a very thick inner lift:

Heel +1 inch
Boot material under foot + 0.5 inch
Lift + 2.5 inch
Insole + .25 inch

Almost 5 inches.. Seems like more.. Only puts me to 5'4"

Couple areas of concern:
- Zero 'arch support'
- Top of foot behind toes (middle) tight against inside of boot.
- If you DO this.. and your vader suit has the fabric instead of leather on the part of the leg that goes inside the boot... you may find that fabric VISIBLE cause the boot is effectively shorter! I had to make my boot taller by sewing on leather.

I think I will try a new pair with size 14 boots at some point in the future. to make myself taller.

Where did you get your boots from? I was thinking of going with sovietboots.com but I hear there isn't much space in those for lifts. Don't want to spend the cash on the Chippewas. Thought your boots looked good! Is it ok to have the zip down the side?

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back