My Amazing Spiderman Build (pic heavy)

Powerhouse70

Decided to go ahead and start this thread and put some placeholders in while I'm waiting on my pattern from Taylor McManus seen below.

spidermanjd.jpg

Ill be going over this with red, blue and black puffpaint and having it custom tailored with a removable hood.

Im also planning on buying one of AzSpideys face shells and adding tiny rare earth magnetic in strategic places so I can switch different sizes and styles of lenses out on the fly.

For my first set of lenses Ill be using these
spideylenses.jpg

modified with Milliput to duplicate the smooth surface of the movie lenses.The frames will be painted a deep black with a touch of dark midnight blue in the clearcoat using a three step automotive paint.
I'll also be removing the hexagon mesh inside the glasses and either goldplating them or painting them with a good gold metallic finish before reassembly and adding rare magnets to mate with the face shell.

I will also be adding the Asics Gel Dirt Dog 3 soles to the bottom of the feet to match the movie costume.

If I have time before NYCC, I plan on also making a web backpack like the one pictured below.
webbackpack.jpg

and adding custom sculpted led web shooters that magnetically attach the wrists.

Im gonna post as many pics as I can of this build from start to finish and as always any questions or comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks ...Rob a.k.a powerhouse70

Last edited:
I'm subscribed to this thread. Interested in making one of these suits at some point and it looks like you're off to a great start. Good luck!

these sunglasses looking lenses???

i want em... lol

Decided to go ahead and start this thread and put some placeholders in while I'm waiting on my pattern from Taylor McManus seen below.

spidermanjd.jpg

Ill be going over this with red, blue and black puffpaint and having it custom tailored with a removable hood.

Im also planning on buying one of AzSpideys face shells and adding tiny rare earth magnetic in strategic places so I can switch different sizes and styles of lenses out on the fly.

For my first set of lenses Ill be using these
spideylenses.jpg

modified with Milliput to duplicate the smooth surface of the movie lenses.The frames will be painted a deep black with a touch of dark midnight blue in the clearcoat using a three step automotive paint.
I'll also be removing the hexagon mesh inside the glasses and either goldplating them or painting them with a good gold metallic finish before reassembly and adding rare magnets to mate with the face shell.

I will also be adding the Asics Gel Dirt Dog 3 soles to the bottom of the feet to match the movie costume.

If I have time before NYCC, I plan on also making a web backpack like the one pictured below.
webbackpack.jpg

and adding custom sculpted led web shooters that magnetically attach the wrists.

Im gonna post as many pics as I can of this build from start to finish and as always any questions or comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks ...Rob a.k.a powerhouse70

I'm subscribed to this thread. Interested in making one of these suits at some point and it looks like you're off to a great start. Good luck!

Thanks for the kind wishes. Ive already made this costume like 50 times in my head, cant wait to get started on it for real.

So I sourced out the 3d fabric paint today.I ended up comparing several high resolution shots to pics on Amazon to get the colors as close as I can.

If anyone interested i decided on these two for the red and blue.
tulipslickred.jpg

tulipdarkblueslick.jpg

They are Tulip Slick Red and Tulip Dark Blue, will probably also go with Tulip Slick Black .

I also bought a Luer Lock 18ga syringe tip and filling syringe. I'm either going to fill that with the paint or modify the paint tube to include the fine line syringe tip cause I think it will give me better control and thinner lines.

I'll test both out on paper before applying it to the fabric and will post comparison pics here.

Thats all for now, hope everyone had a happy 4th of July.Will be updating this soon.

Yuh, the Tulip red is a good shade. Dont panic when you put it on like I did. When you first apply it it can look a bit bright, almost pinkish but as it drys it darkens.

Heres a couple of pics of the syringe and the tip. I cut the end off ( because it was a little over 2 inches long) with a pair of sturdy scissors and then filed the jagged edges down with one my wifes emory boards on both sides.

1200835.jpg

Sorry for the fuzzy pics. Heres a shot of the tip I cut off beside a dime for comparison.
syringetip.jpg

Yuh, the Tulip red is a good shade. Dont panic when you put it on like I did. When you first apply it it can look a bit bright, almost pinkish but as it drys it darkens.

Thanks for the tip because I surely would have panicked.I dont think I own ANYTHING thats pink lol.

TheNickFox has started an interest thread in the junkyard for Amazing Spiderman lenses for a great price. If all goes well with them, I might decide to save myself some work and use those instead.

Last edited:
Did a quick test using the syringe and tip to see how small and straight I could make the lines. Takes two hands so if I use this method will be really slow going but I'm pleased with the results. It definitely takes practice, you can tell by the hexes I tried to paint in the top left corner. The lines got a LOT smoother by the time I reached the end.

The red is darker than what Ill be using with the Tulip paints but you can judge for yourself here.
1200839.jpg

I think I'm going to have much better results and be able to apply more puff paint in a single session by adding the syringe tip to the squeeze bottle the paint comes in.

I can also use it one handed that way and steady my drawing hand with my free hand.Will have to wait until I can get the paint before trying that.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip man, I'll be attempting the honeycombing soon and am pretty nervous about it

Youre very welcome. Just go slow and take your time. I'd also recommend practicing for a few minutes by tracing something out like a kids coloring book or a weekly advert until you get the feel for it.

Also if you smoke, DONT at least not while your doing this. Nicotene makes your hands shake.

Work one section at a time and start from top to bottom so your hand doesnt' inadvertently smudge the work you've just done.

So would you begin the puff paint on it before you sew it together or afterwards?
I figure before since it flat and easier to keep from smudging, but im sure it will affect how it gets put together. Anyways, just picking your brain on it is all.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back