My 1 week Captain America Helmet build!

cama900

Hello RPF! So about a week ago, I doscovered that the discount theater that was opening where I live was goanna have the Avengers as one of their movies! I decided to make a Captain America helmet for it :D So here it goes, my 1 week Cap. Helm!
I began with JFCustom's foam unfold of the helmet

Coated it in elmers glue then guesso (I dont know why I switched...) then put a coat of rondo on it. Shout out to XRobots for his stuff about plastic coating foam!

It was at this point that I noticed that I had forgotten to heat shape the top of the helmet... So I but some bondo on it, sanded, repeated, and then put another coat of rondo on.
Sanded it to 220 grit then rubbed it with steel wool (I didnt have time to go any higher as it was only 6 or so hour till I needed to be there :()

So I primed it, and painted it with crappy white and blue wal mart spray paint. And here is my final result! :D

Over all, I'm quite happy with it. Especially since I only worked about 15 hours total over the course or 7 days! :D I may try to repaint it as it has some dust/debree in it, but I think ill try wet sanding it first to see if I can make it any better
Well, Thanks for looking! Any advice/tips on anything would be greatly appreciated :) Cheers!

Last edited:
i am incredibly impressed this would be a good build. even if it wasnt a one week one this would be impressive it looks like a few weeks of work have went into this very well done mate

i am incredibly impressed this would be a good build. even if it wasnt a one week one this would be impressive it looks like a few weeks of work have went into this very well done mate
Thanks! I surprised myself with how well it turned out!

Looks excellent, good use of foam and resin togther
Why thank you! And thanks for making the post about how to plastic coat foam, it wouldn't have been possible without you :)

That's fantastic! I'd been trying to freehand a foam Cap America Avengers helmet for my costume with limited success, I didn't even know there was a template out there! I hadn't found anything before you mentioned it! So thankyou very much for the information, and your helmet looks awesome :D

Thank you guys for all the kind words! I got around to wet sanding it, touching the paint up, and clear coating it. So here is the final result!

I dont know how well you can see the difference, but its much better :D

Anyway, the main reason for this update is that I'm thinking of getting a cheap leather coat/bag from a thift store (or perhaps just some pleather) and trying to make the ear covers and chin straps. Any ideas on the best way to attempt this?

Last edited:
Thanks! And if you attempt this, I would use foam that is a bit thinner, just make sure its pretty dense so it will keep its shape

So I'm new and have a (possible quite dumb) question. I think that this will be my first build and I'm curious to know what type/thickness foam you're using.
Also it's fantastic to see some love for Cap around here. Iron Man seems to hog an awful lot of the attention. :)

Im using EVA foam (the same stuff for all the foam Iron man builds), 1/4 inch thick (about 6mm). I got mine from BigLots, It looked like this. Most craft foam is eva foam and should work quite well too. Stealth and xRobots here have some great info about using this foam (along with many other people here). Just search around for more info!
Cheers!

Anyway, the main reason for this update is that I'm thinking of getting a cheap leather coat/bag from a thift store (or perhaps just some pleather) and trying to make the ear covers and chin straps. Any ideas on the best way to attempt this?

Any update and/or pics with you wearing the helmet ??

Yea, a few. Sorry for my incredibly slow response time. They are a bit crappy because im most definitely not a photographer...

^^ I love my left eye in this one :D

But no updates, I didnt find any leather or anything for the ear flaps, maybe some day...

Any chance that you know how to convert the .pdo to a .dxf file? I have a guy that is willing to laser cut the pattern out of stainless
steel for me.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back