Morsithmichell's 2012 Halloween Costume Contest Entry

mordsithmichell

I had already made these costumes before I saw this contest so I don't have any progress pictures so I hope this thread is still OK. I love the Sword of Truth novels so when Legend of the Seeker came on I was ecstatic! I got invited to the Dragon Con parade in Atlanta so I decided to make LOTS costumes for my kids last minute. I made my youngest son a Seeker and my daughter a Sister of the Dark (totally fits her, lol) I am entering both of them so I am putting their pictures in this thread. If I need to do a seperate one for each one let me know and I will fix it.

As I said I love Sword of Truth so these costumes were automatically the first thing I thought of for DragonCon. Gage is 4 and he is dressed as Richard. I found some pleather that looks like brown leather to make the vest and boot covers, and some faux suede for the accents on the vest and the pants. I did cheat a little on the vest and do strips of suede instead of the intricate stitching up the front, I had neither the time nor patience to do that for one day of use. I will be making my husband a Seeker costume for next year and doing it the right way though. For the grey shirt I took an old cotton dress shirt and cut the collar off, then I mixed up some black and white acrylic paint and added a touch of blue and used the acrylic method to dye it. For the boot covers I just used the simple method of draping it around his shoe and leg, and then cutting out the shape I needed and sewing it together. For his necklace I used clay, and then painted it white and put the symbol on it with marker and tied leather around it for a necklace. And his sword of Nerf...I mean Truth ...is just a sword he already had that I spraypainted. It was just cheap silver spraypaint so it didn't last long :(

For Nadine I made her a simple low waisted red dress with chiffon straps and left some chiffon hanging from the back of the straps. I used some of the fabric from the dress to make a bandanna for the headscarf. For the flowing scarf that goes around the back and over the face I took a length of chiffon, folded it over, and stitched it down the middle to make a casing. I then put elastic and gathered it, and attached that to a ribbon. That way I could just slip it over her head over the head scarf and it would hang in the back, and be able to flip over her face as well. For the Dacra I took some sheets of foam and cut them in the basic shape of the blades and then hot glued them together and sprayed them with silver spraypaint.

The biggest challenge for me was working with the pleather but I did find some helpful posts online about how to work with it more easily, namely the tissue paper trick. I have been sewing for 5 years now and make childrens clothing and pageant dresses and the odd Halloween Costume here and there. I plan on making my book version Mord Sith costume for Dragon Con next year since I have more time to work on it and my husband will be Richard (on a leash I might add).

I hope that was enough info since I did not have progress pictures. I will upload pictures of the kids in their outfits and the outfits themselves.

I'm looking forward to my son being the age where I can make awesome costumes for him. Nice job on these. I love the costumes from Legend of the Seeker.

I'm looking forward to my son being the age where I can make awesome costumes for him. Nice job on these. I love the costumes from Legend of the Seeker.

Thank you:) They had a great time "fighting" each other so I could get pics for the contest, lol. We got to meet Craig Parker, who played Darken Rahl in the series, and he said he loved their costumes and talked to them for a while :) https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...21594313161.2157036.1078661880&type=3&theater

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back