Mass Effect 2 N7 Armor Builds

I would love to know a little more about the limitations and possibilities of this kind of foam as well as the process of heat molding it. It appears to be a great medium to work with.

Day 9 Progress: (more info on my blog)

Mass_Effect_2_WIP_N7_Armor_3_by_Evil_FX.jpg

Absolutely gorgeous. I'd been racking my brain for what might be the best option in fabricating Alliance or Cerberus armor, but this method is a real inspiration. Looks like I'll be pricing some foam this weekend!

I saw on your blog how you shaped the chestplate.. It looks like you achieved a fantastic result with heating and manually stretching the foam over a form. Do you think it would be possible to vacuum form this foam?

I've picked some up recently but haven't had a chance to work with it.. seems like it's a really hot material choice right now. Thanks for the excellent documentation.

I saw on your blog how you shaped the chestplate.. It looks like you achieved a fantastic result with heating and manually stretching the foam over a form. Do you think it would be possible to vacuum form this foam?

I've picked some up recently but haven't had a chance to work with it.. seems like it's a really hot material choice right now. Thanks for the excellent documentation.

The only problem with trying to vac form this that I could forsee is that when it gets really hot and soft it can tear easily. you would have to use a really low pressure to keep from sucking holes through the foam.

yeah i just had a look on ebay and the cheapest options seem to be the camping mats which i think are the same stuff.....

I was doing a project at work, soundproofing a couple of doors. I went and bought a foam that I was told was just like Neoprene but cheaper, and it turns out it's the same foam as the floor mats. It's called Minicel it doesn't have the texture and a 72" x 48" x 1/2" sheet is 19.04, I saved the offcuts and brought them home. I can't speak for their shipping, since they're in the neighborhood, but a great price none the less. check them out

Welcome to Foam Factory

Tommy

I'm really impressed with the curves, and I'm not just "being a guy"... well maybe a little.

Do you have any in progress photos?

What an amazing suit David!

A while back I came across your blue Guyver costume and was intrigued by the way you implemented the hotglue technique to achive such a perfect finish.

Now I find this and must say I am blown away by the clean, crisp look of the EVA foam 'armour plating'. The thing that I really like is that you didn't have to resort to using expensive, labour intensive moulds but rather made the suit using flat elements.

You have another fan, sir :thumbsup

Rog

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back