Manaqua1's 2012 Halloween Costume Contest Entry

Manaqua1

My costume is modeled after the "Ben Reilly" Scarlet Spider.
I live in South-East Louisiana, and am originally from NY, with no prior costume making experience. There weren't very many people around here that could help me with this so I was a bit limited to what I could do and what I had to work with as far as materials and making the costume, (considering I also don't own a sewing machine).

The red suit that's shown, I bought from a local halloween store. The stitching for it wasn't very good and, had to be gone over again, so that it wouldn't rip.
In the pictures you can see where I made the templates for the eyes and the spider symbol. Those two templates were placed over some rubber, and spray painted over; that way it was easy to cut out. I got the mesh for the eyes from a splatter guard that I trace and cut up. I cut two (2) out for each eye, spray painting the inside one black and the outside one white, so it contrasted, and made sure I could see out but no one could see in. I stitched the mesh into the face mask, and leather taped the rubber around the edges of the mesh; I also leather taped the spider to the sweatshirt. I removed the stitches from the sweatshirt arms and pouch, to give the correct look.
The web cartridges on the arm, are PVC pipe, with caulk to cover the ends, and spray painted gray. I drilled holes in them and laced elastic cord through the holes so they could be an arm band and I could get them on and off easily.
For the leg pouches, I put brown fabric around sturdy cardboard, using household goop, and also made the straps for it, out of the same material; hand stitching it.
For the belt I used that same fabric from before, ironed and stitched to InnerFuse double-sided stiff fusible interfacing; rubber for the spider insignia belt buckle; and the left over web cartridges from the wrists were household gooped around it. I stitched velcro on the ends of the belt so that it would be easy to take on and off.
For the feet I cut up a water shoe and sewed the insole of it on the inside of the costume. I took the rubber sole and gooped it to the outside of the bottom of the costume adhering it through the costume fabric to the insole.
The spider web you see shooting out from my wrist, was made by half hitch knotting in the same direction many times. It had fishing line on each end; one tied to my wrist and one tied over a tree; to make it look like it was shooting out.

Thanks a lot for looking at my costume and I hope I get your vote, even though it was really fun making it anyways.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back