Kratos - God Of War Complete!!

Mandi

Hi all,

Just in the process of building a Kratos costume. I love the series and would have to be one of my favourite games for playstation. The game itself is quite brutal but I love the storyline, the characters and the inter activeness between game and player.

As there is no female Kratos character I'm going to replicate Kratos as much as I can with of course improvising to hide girl parts haha.

I'm using quite a few reference pictures for this, and there are slight variations in each picture so am working with it as best I can.

Anyway this is one of my reference images..

Kratos_rendering_concept.jpg

I decided to create the belt to start with, I'm using impact foam as I really enjoy it's properties and think it has a lot to give in terms of creating costumes. Patterned and weathered, then primered it and did a coat of paint. I'm not happy with how porous this is (it's a slightly different product to the impact foam I'm used to using and am noticing that through the texture) so I will be looking at repainting this when I find a suitable primer/filler.

PhotoGrid_1409029745839 (2).jpgPhotoGrid_1407758190693 (2).jpg

After that I have started on the skirt, the fabric for this was tricky as depending on what render you look at it can be a different texture so I just went with the one I liked best and what would hang and flow as accurate as I thought, I then weathered and burnt this to give it the right aging and painted on the patterns.

PhotoGrid_1407846230256 (2).jpgPhotoGrid_1409029893060 (2).jpg

I started making the leather straps but ran out of leather I used a substitute of fabric to see if it would look okay, which I wasn't happy with so have to order some more distressed leather to finish the skirt straps.

So I've gone onto the armour, was a bit of a pain finding image refs for this but managed to find something decent, I hand drew up a template then attempted to use wonderflex for the base, I had my doubts about it and it came out okay but not good enough for me too be happy with it, so ditched that and came back to my trusty foam. I managed to get it into a shape I was happy with and could work with, so used aluminium foil and masking tape to create the basic horn structures then covered with worblas deco art pellets. Once I find a primer I'm happy with I can prime and paint it and make the attachment up for my arm!

PhotoGrid_1409030024065 (2).jpg

Last edited:
Re: Kratos - God Of War WIP

A little update, nearly finished on the golden fleece, just have to fix up the skirting piece if you will and the band that will attach to my huge muscly arms hahah

Also practicing rage faces!

My leather arrived tonight for the rest of my skirt hoorahh!!

10690291_510340062430792_7736680434021860679_n.jpg

Bit of an update, completed the fleece (well apart from running holes and cord to secure on my arm) have complete the second arm/eblow guard and just need to make the band for it to attach.

Started on the wrists, I have fabric cut up to make the bandage gloves and one side of the armor which goes on top of that and the chains starting to secure in place.

I find I am using alot of weathering on every part of this build which I enjoy, cant wait until its totally finished! :)

res1.jpgres.jpg

Nice job, I wonder why we haven't seen a female interpretation of Kratos before, maybe it has to do with the whole topless thing. ;)

Are you planning a torn cloth top to match the skirt?

Nice job, I wonder why we haven't seen a female interpretation of Kratos before, maybe it has to do with the whole topless thing. ;)

Are you planning a torn cloth top to match the skirt?

Thanks, haha yea that is a bit of a pain. There are a few cosplayers that have done some nice interpretations though I believe most of the costume was commisioned (not that there is anything wrong with that :) )

Yep I did pain over this for a while, I was going to go for a nude coloured top but then I thought it looked to funny and distracting so I'm going to work in a plain top that A. Wont be slutty and B. Wont take away from the costume but still be a part of it.

you got Supergirl, Batgirl, Female Thor why not, maybe add a chest piece.. you going to shave your head too :p

I think you're right about the nude top being a little weird. I'm interested in what you can come up with as a solution.

Maybe a top of the same cloth as the bottom? or a armour top?
You could highlight your abs (nice abs btw) and do a croptop style pullover which leaves your belly bear but covers your entire chest.

you gonna shave your hair too and get super jacked like mr god o war? (;

this is some great work, that weathering is pretty dope. how'd you burn it so perfectly so that all those holes ended up working out so nicely?

also as a solution for the naked part, what if you made up some sort of breastplate that complimented the rest of the design? that way you'd be able to throw some of the red paint on there and your face so you've still got the nice feel of god of war without having to display them pectorals. when you say plain top though do you mean like some tank top, or a "greek goddess" type drapery? Id suggest the armor though because it'll be more work for you and who doesnt love more work!

you got Supergirl, Batgirl, Female Thor why not, maybe add a chest piece.. you going to shave your head too :p

I did consider that, but then figured if I was going to chest piece it I would go for the full armored version of Kratos, which is awesome but I'm on a time limit and I have the curse of the *I've got plenty of time* attitude that every cosplayer seems to develop haha

I think you're right about the nude top being a little weird. I'm interested in what you can come up with as a solution.

Yea it just didn't sit right, I think it cemented when I saw a cosplayer that did use a nude tank top, no negative criticism to them I just think for myself incorporating it would of complimented it better.

Maybe a top of the same cloth as the bottom? or a armour top?
You could highlight your abs (nice abs btw) and do a croptop style pullover which leaves your belly bear but covers your entire chest.

Yea I'm going to go with the same fabric as the skirt to try and blend it in!

you gonna shave your hair too and get super jacked like mr god o war? (;

this is some great work, that weathering is pretty dope. how'd you burn it so perfectly so that all those holes ended up working out so nicely?

also as a solution for the naked part, what if you made up some sort of breastplate that complimented the rest of the design? that way you'd be able to throw some of the red paint on there and your face so you've still got the nice feel of god of war without having to display them pectorals. when you say plain top though do you mean like some tank top, or a "greek goddess" type drapery? Id suggest the armor though because it'll be more work for you and who doesnt love more work!

Thanks! I'm a big fan of weathering pieces! I bought a hot knife (one of my favourite purchases ever) does a great job burning in details I highly recommend them.

I did consider the period correct fashion back then but also didn't want something to soft and feminine, I think I will draft up the top as a warrior/forest woman type covering and ponder if I need to add an emblem or gold frame to pull it in more :) Haha I'm already taking on several different projects with time limits so I don't want to add extra work and have to sacrifice quality, time will tell though!

So update...

Did a test fit of what I have so far, its obviously still quite unpolished to what it will be like but I like idea for the fabric for the top (obviously it will be weathered and detailed to suit) I think with the white body paint and markings it will be what pulls it all together.

10445571_520193701445428_6211634533266474108_n.jpg

I did consider that, but then figured if I was going to chest piece it I would go for the full armored version of Kratos, which is awesome but I'm on a time limit and I have the curse of the *I've got plenty of time* attitude that every cosplayer seems to develop haha

Yea it just didn't sit right, I think it cemented when I saw a cosplayer that did use a nude tank top, no negative criticism to them I just think for myself incorporating it would of complimented it better.

Yea I'm going to go with the same fabric as the skirt to try and blend it in!

Thanks! I'm a big fan of weathering pieces! I bought a hot knife (one of my favourite purchases ever) does a great job burning in details I highly recommend them.

I did consider the period correct fashion back then but also didn't want something to soft and feminine, I think I will draft up the top as a warrior/forest woman type covering and ponder if I need to add an emblem or gold frame to pull it in more :) Haha I'm already taking on several different projects with time limits so I don't want to add extra work and have to sacrifice quality, time will tell though!

So update...

Did a test fit of what I have so far, its obviously still quite unpolished to what it will be like but I like idea for the fabric for the top (obviously it will be weathered and detailed to suit) I think with the white body paint and markings it will be what pulls it all together.

View attachment 380028

Wowza that looks hot. Finished piece is gonna look so good I cant wait, you have some awesome skills.

Yeah like 2 years on the ironman suit :)

Looks like your coming alone..

hmm.. dont remember kratos having a ribbon on his leg! haha and welcome, i agree with you 100% on weathering, i believe its one of the most important things to consider when trying to make something look really authentic. you'll see those people who do some great work but no weathering and you can say wow that looks pretty good, but when you see a nicely built and weathered piece it is just so incredibly awesome!

looks like you're right about the cloth top too, i honestly didnt think it'd work well but well whaddya know it works nicely! im curious, what are the other projects??

Wowza that looks hot. Finished piece is gonna look so good I cant wait, you have some awesome skills.

Yea I'm hoping it looks cool once it's all assembled completely!

http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=380028&d=1411475881&thumb=1

Yeah like 2 years on the ironman suit :)

Looks like your coming alone..

Haha man that's some patience right there!!

hmm.. dont remember kratos having a ribbon on his leg! haha and welcome, i agree with you 100% on weathering, i believe its one of the most important things to consider when trying to make something look really authentic. you'll see those people who do some great work but no weathering and you can say wow that looks pretty good, but when you see a nicely built and weathered piece it is just so incredibly awesome!

looks like you're right about the cloth top too, i honestly didnt think it'd work well but well whaddya know it works nicely! im curious, what are the other projects??

Thanks! Yea the tattoos are the unlockable version Im sure! For sure, I think it is a bit of a shame seeing a great costume and then it not being weathered to the era it's from. But each to their own :)

Yea I think the top should be okay once it's torn and burnt a bit! I am a bit of a perfectionist but this is mostly for fun so I have to remember not to get too honed in on every single piece.

Oh my other projects I have is Rain from Mortal Kombat, as well as a Jedi zombie for the upcoming zombie walk, I'm part of a huge girl league of legends group and I have a few other invites for things where it is costume themed so I'm trying to juggle and prioritise as best I can!

*snip pictures*

how about this

Ah yes that armor is awesome! It would be quite time consuming for me (and one of the reasons I chose Kratos for this particular convention is because it will be in the warmer months and wont be sweating my bum off haha)

Started on the blades of Chaos tonight, I have quite a few more hours ahead of me, but really really happy with how they are coming along hurray!

PhotoGrid_1411649714287.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back