JayMay023's IronMan Projects

Re: War Machine Helmet - JAM

Thanks for all the comments, I'm trying to make this as accurate as possible with the reference material that i have. Most of my reference pics were taken from the trailer. The movie poster has the best angle showing the back. There is also a war machine toy that's coming out next month from I believe Diamond select toys and there are a few pics floating around for that.

-Jay

Thanks alot, the toy pics are helping alot.

Your welcome :cool. While proper ref pics are great if possible, some "guesstimating" has to be done as really this isn't something that has been technically released yet (maybe even call it artistic interpretation). A great example of this is TMP's first gen Iron Man suit.

-Jay

Here's some updates on the helmet. I've got three of them now. All in various states.
3Helmets.jpg
The one on the left the one I test paints/faceplate opening/whatever else. The second is getting shaped better and the third is straight out of the mold. The middle one probably weights 2 pounds and is a lot thicker then the first one.

So I've been working on Rev 2 of the war machine helmet. The new helmet is a little thinner. original on the left revision 2 on the right
I'm happier with the one on the right, next is the inside detail.
front1-1.jpg
topdown1.jpg

Thanks all for the comments!
I'm still working on the detailing. The inner chin lip (where the faceplate rests when its down)on the inside is done, I need to cut out the trapezoid on the bottom of the jaw line and the cheek plates on the inside still needs to be done. I would say over all this is 95 percent done!
This weekend I worked on the faceplate, trying to make it clear the center hump at the top of the helmet. I'm still trying to figure out paints as well. While the colors are close they are not perfect in my opinion. I'll be picking up some more paints and some hinges today to get the faceplate to swing open. Motorization will come later and will be an option to those who pick up a helmet from me.
The two helmets pictured are different sizes. I'll be re-molding the smaller one(Pictured on the right) as I think it looks more accurate and doesn't look so much like a pumpkin head. I have a large head and it fits me fine I just have to tuck my ears in and it slides right on.

Cheers

-Jay

Last edited:

So its been a while since Ive updated on this project. Just finished pulling the main part of my helmet out of the mold. Next is the faceplate and back of the helmet. Waiting to get my hands on a Marvel select to confirm the accuracy of the back of the helmet.
Here are some pics, still working on the back of the helmet but it should be done by the end of this weekend.
finhelm1.jpg
finhelm2.jpg

the missing cheek plates will be added later and will most likely be metal. I have a pattern for them just have not put them in yet.

Cheers,

-Jay

Thanks for the comments all! A lot of hard work has gone into this and I'm almost done with this part of the project. Here are some update pics. The black part of the helmet is raw unpainted straight out of the mold. Still doing detail work on the faceplate, and the back is almost done! I've fixed the mold so some of the "dents" you see in the helmet are gone in the newest casts.
DSCN13241.jpg

DSCN13231.jpg

DSCN13221.jpg

Almost done!

-Jay

Pic Update.
DSCN1347.jpg

DSCN1354.jpg

DSCN1353.jpg

DSCN1352.jpg

DSCN1350.jpg

These were taken before the work I did this weekend. I'll try and get more pics up tonight Did a lot of sanding. Still need to the mold the faceplate and rear part of the helmet.
I'm pretty stoked that its almost finished!

Cheers,

-Jay

Its been a long while, here's a quick pic update.
DSCN1424.jpg

I've got 4 helmets now... one is still in the mold pictured later.
I started working on the pep armor and most of its been assembled. There still has to be a LOT of work done. I've resined the outside to help it keep its shape til I can get back to working on the armor.
DSCN1422.jpg

Thats it for now

Incredible progress throughout the revisions you've done. Started rough and with every revision your improving.

Can't wait to see the next set of progress pictures.

I love the way the mask is looking, im trying to get going on my own Ironman project, can i ask what the helmet is made of? what kinda material or plastic did you pour into the mold? :confused

The helmet was originally sculpted with plasticine clay on top of an Iron Man Helmet that I did a while back.
5211239.jpg

Then revised and revised til I got it to the point where I created a mold for it. Refined the cast off the first mold then remolded again.

The helmet is made of fiber glass, I'm planning on doing a Kevlar version for someone pretty soon.

LOL :lol Sound like us... Always improving & perfecting. That is a good atribute. Keep it up and keep working on it, improve by doing.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back