Jawa on a Shoestring(FINISHED)w/Pics

Re: Jawa on a Shoestring

It depends how thick the material is and how bright the flash/room is.

Usually only one layer works fine, it's a balance between seeing easily versus blocking out seeing the eyes and red-eye in photos.

Oh, okay cool. Thanks, James.

Is the material easy to find?

Is it pretty reasonably priced?

Yeah, it's usually pretty cheap. You can get it anywhere they install car stereo's or online from speaker building sites (like partsexpress.com).

punisher
Any Ideas on what to use as weaponry? There might be some nerf guns that would make a cool jawa-esque gun!
Well I know of 2 types of Ion Blasters, the most popular....

Ion_gun_btm.jpg

....TK1336 makes a resin base.....

jawaionblasterresin.jpg

Then there's the ROTJ version....

jawaionpistol.jpg

....although this version, to the best of my knowledge, hasn't been identified as actually being used in anything other than promo shots and tour displays, but since this is just a fun project for my daughter and I, I'm just going for the aesthetics and will probably do a Home Depot version of this gun.....

250px-Jawa_SWSB.jpg

For the eyes, I used a thin black fabric on my daughter's costume and she can see just fine. It also allows for some ventilation and also has the benefit of never fogging up on her.

For the eyes, I used a thin black fabric on my daughter's costume and she can see just fine. It also allows for some ventilation and also has the benefit of never fogging up on her.

What type of "thin black fabric", something sheer like stockings or pantyhose, thin?

Here's something that I've never noticed before.

I was reading the PoSW, Jawa section and it says that ANH, ROTJ and TPM all wore Brown Jersey Gloves and from what I've seen they do wear those exact gloves with tufts of Maribou feathers on the tops of hand, but I came across this picture.....

jawas1234_edit_crop.jpg

...and it's clearly evident that they're wearing monkey gloves or Chimpanzee hands, or something. :confused

Even in this famous promo shot, I've seen a hundred times...the Chimpanzee hands are right there.

jawajpgw300h413-1.jpg

Just a crazy idee... but could they have been hands from Planets of the apes? The did use costumes from PotA in the cantina scene, and could have used the ape hands for the jawas aswell.

Here's a couple more progress pictures.

I've got the Muslin mock up finished, I found I need to add some length to the bottom of the robe and open up the sleeves a bit.

IMGP6564.jpg

I practiced sewing all day yesterday, straight lines, swirls, square swirls, so I could do this today. :lol

I initially bought the pattern on the left, but the sleeves are too wide and the yoke isn't on the Jawa, but the robe pattern on the right worked perfect. $1.99.

IMGP6565.jpg

Also the gown on the left used far more material than the robe pattern, which gave me plenty of material for the hood and strips and scraps.

I found these shoes at the goodwill for $1.50.
I'm going to wrap them with the strips.

IMGP6562.jpg

I hit up grandpa for some of his old work belts....free.

A little dremmel work, spray paint, ink and a gallon of Boot Oil.

IMGP6563.jpg

Here's the barrel of the Ion Blaster, a cut-up funnel and a insulated cup from the .99 store.

Right now it's just primer, Water Putty, Truck Bed Liner spray, hot glue and corn meal.

I know the welds are a bit exaggerated, but I'm wanting to go for a real ruff, rugged, weathered aesthetic.

IMGP6558.jpg
IMGP6557.jpg

Here's a oil-blackened battery terminal cleaner from the .99 store, it's just a part of the Blaster.

IMGP6561.jpg

Had never seen the closeup showing the monkey hands but it definitely gives some interesting background reference to this character, and further possibilities for how to display a given Jawa. :thumbsup

contec
Just a crazy idee... but could they have been hands from Planets of the apes? The did use costumes from PotA in the cantina scene, and could have used the ape hands for the jawas aswell.
That's a possibility.

Here's a "hero" hand on the left....

planet_of_the_apes_1968_apes_3.jpg

...and here's an extra's glove that would be a feasible match considering the size of the actor. They look like rubber or leather, but they lack the finger detail and fur/ hair of the Jawa gloves...so I don't know.

MV5BMTMwMDUxMjg0Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTY.jpg

jme3
Had never seen the closeup showing the monkey hands but it definitely gives some interesting background reference to this character, and further possibilities for how to display a given Jawa. :thumbsup
The one thing that I've definitively discovered while researching this costume is, that there's no such thing as "cannon" when it comes to the Jawas!

I know this is probably better suited for the prop section, but don't think I should start a whole thread just for this.

Since I've haven't done this before and critiques or constructive criticism are welcomed.

I sprayed it down with an antiques bronze, then I washed some ink in the cracks...

aaa.jpg

Then I dry-brushed a nutmeg brown over it....

aaa2.jpg

Then I scrubbed a watery, neon orange over it...

aaa3.jpg

IMGP6574edit.jpg

Then I airbrushed some Pelikan ink over the whole thing while the paint was still tacky...

aaa4.jpg

Finally I attached the telephone dial thing to the front and sprayed that with Truck bed Liner....

aaa5.jpg

I still need to add some dry-brush highlights after it's all assembled.

So what do you think so far?

Here's what I finished today.

I started out with this...

IMGP6562.jpg

...and ended up with this...

IMGP6591edit2.jpg

IMGP6594.jpg

Great job on the weathering. :thumbsup

Thanks, jme3, I appreciate that.

I'm happy with the way they turned out, but right after I posted the pics, I found this....

pih-6-top.jpg

...I think I may have slightly over-engineered mine! :lol

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back