Iron man motorised faceplate electronics tutorial!!!

I don't suppose anyone sells the whole set of required items as a pack? This looks like a great addition to my planned build but not being an electronics whiz, I'd prefer to have all the parts provided and then I could just assemble. Not really confident i'd be buying the right things otherwise!

If your looking for a full set that you can just put in your helm check out therealstarks stuff, his stuff is pretty legit, I got a hing from him and it was great until I got careless and broke it.

If your looking for a full set that you can just put in your helm check out therealstarks stuff, his stuff is pretty legit, I got a hing from him and it was great until I got careless and broke it.

Thanks for the headsup. Do you have a link where I can check out the set and purchase?

nice kit... but not really focused on what you need for this thread.

thats more a starter kit for getting into Arduino (lots of extras you dont need for this.. but nice to have for playing around with)..

Also.. as talked about many times here.. do you really want/need to put a FULL Arduino development board into your helmet? where a smaller, cheaper Arduino would be better?

:)

Hey guys just found this thread, and after reading, I'm a little confused.
All i need to Do Is buy everything listed on the first page? And program it and put it together? Or are there other parts?
Because a few pages back there seems to be different boards being used?

Thanks guys

IMHO...

if you want to follow the stuff on PAGE/POST 1.. wait for the OP to chime in.. (although I believe he keeps his original first post up to date pretty much)

throughout this thread.. yes, others have shared 'their' paths. and not everyone has the same approach, or are using the same boards (some are even using PIC based boards and not Arduinos at all)

its all about what you feel more comfortable with I guess. :)

(I personally find the Arduino stuff easier and more community supported..geared toward beginners too) ;)

What I'd love is just the smallest, most cost effective and noob friendly version. It seems that the OP's solution doesn't support multiple LEDs in its current state and that's something I'd definitely want.

The Arduino board you choose would still be the same, IMHO..

if you read back I have talked about that before..

you would NOT be able to drive the leds from the Arduino directly.. you would need some sort of transistor to connect the leds to the battery pack. and have a 'control/signal' wire from the Arduino go to the left over pin on the transistor so you can PWM the 'gate' and control the LED array you have set-up.

(I thought I had even posted a diagram?)

heres a quick pic of my IM led eye circuit/pcb

IM_eyeCircuit_pics_-001_sized.jpg

IM_eyeCircuit_pics_-003_sized.jpg

IM_eyeCircuit_pics_-004_sized.jpg

IM_eyeCircuit_pics_-005_sized.jpg

IM_eyeCircuit_pics_-006_sized.jpg

these are just version 1 (MKI of the eye circuit) ;) lol..
they are being re-designed, to be brighter (more leds..etc)

but the concept/principle is the same

Last edited:
not really a 'set-up' (per se`)... just a PCB to be used with your Arduino 'set-up' :)

I had posted on them long ago here.. (noone seemed to care)

If I get some more leds/resistors.. I have about 4-6 left over.. thats 2-3 sets that I could sell/get rid of. :)

I've been thinking of machining a mask flipper but with aluminium arms for that authentic look ;) It would probably sit in roughly the same place as the recently posted thread.
I will probably release the code for the auto open/close when you flick your head either way too. It uses an accelerometer but I need to clean the code up a little and comment it, I made it almost 2 years ago ;)

Al arms would be nice.. but the 'body' might be best machined out of Delrin or something.. (conductivity & weight and all) :)

There are a few accelerometer codes floating around that everyone could use too....

still every bit posted here helps the community.. :)

not really a 'set-up' (per se`)... just a PCB to be used with your Arduino 'set-up' :)

I had posted on them long ago here.. (noone seemed to care)

If I get some more leds/resistors.. I have about 4-6 left over.. thats 2-3 sets that I could sell/get rid of. :)

Sticking wires into holes on a breadboard is as far as I'd be able to go with my none-existent electronics skills which is why the OP's initial tutorial was great! If you could add to it with exactly how to make a pcb with the transistors and leds and whatnots and how it would fit together with the OP's original plan, that'd be amazing! Or yeah, if you don't mind knocking up the pcb with the led parts and whatever else I needed to get it working with the original design, I'd definitely buy one off you if you don't mind? :D

@ Ammo-

the OP is using different code approach then I am/posted..

I have posted/helped out alot through this entire thread.... with tons of advice on how "I'd" approach it..

But Im not sure a tutorial on how to use Eagle, and how to make your own PCB's is in the scope of this thread (or any) LOL..

there are tons of tutorials and post on how to do whatever you are asking.. that are done much better than I could ever do. :)

if I get some extra parts.. I can make some of the extra pcb's I have here,.. and let you know.

Philly-

cant wait to see what you come up with! ...

Last edited by a moderator:
The Arduino board you choose would still be the same, IMHO..

if you read back I have talked about that before..

you would NOT be able to drive the leds from the Arduino directly.. you would need some sort of transistor to connect the leds to the battery pack. and have a 'control/signal' wire from the Arduino go to the left over pin on the transistor so you can PWM the 'gate' and control the LED array you have set-up.

(I thought I had even posted a diagram?)

heres a quick pic of my IM led eye circuit/pcb

http://dmstudios.net/misc/IM_eyeCircuit/IM_eyeCircuit_pics_-001_sized.jpg

http://dmstudios.net/misc/IM_eyeCircuit/IM_eyeCircuit_pics_-003_sized.jpg

http://dmstudios.net/misc/IM_eyeCircuit/IM_eyeCircuit_pics_-004_sized.jpg

http://dmstudios.net/misc/IM_eyeCircuit/IM_eyeCircuit_pics_-005_sized.jpg

http://dmstudios.net/misc/IM_eyeCircuit/IM_eyeCircuit_pics_-006_sized.jpg

these are just version 1 (MKI of the eye circuit) ;) lol..
they are being re-designed, to be brighter (more leds..etc)

but the concept/principle is the same
i like this board :D

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back