Iron Man Mark III (Dark Asylum)

Dark asylum

Hello folks, a long over do prototype has been in the works done different then any other suit out there. This suit is all vacuum formed from 90,000ths high impact styrene plastic, the neck, elbow/knee joints, and ab/stomach section will all be latex and a few smaller details will be resin cast.
I went this rout for a few simple reasons, much cleaner then resins and fiber glass, construction is much faster and less (glues, rivets, or straps), parts will be way easier to customize, and most importently is a lot more durability.
I sculpted all the original vacuum form molds out ultracal (concrete), wood, and Aves Epoxy Sculpt (greatest product ever created).

p00103.jpg

p00104.jpg

p00132x.jpg

p00122.jpg

p00138v.jpg

p00142h.jpg

This procees is just like building a model car or airplane parts are in 2 halves weilder together using and acid based solvent then the seems are reinforced with styrene strips same as parts that require more durability, than putty and sanding and final steps with primer before painting.

Note: some molds are still in the works but will be done soon enough.

Thanks for checking out the post and enjoy.

Last edited:
Re: New iron man suit in the the works

wow!! very impressive first post!! and excited to see a local create the suit!! looks sharp too!!:love:love any chance i could see this in person? i have a couple iron man props i could show you if your interested!! great work and PM'd you!!

Hi , Welcome to the family of Ironman replicas.

Stunning work , the armour seen very light weight , this make easier movement while wearing the armour. Keep up the good work.

Hi , Welcome to the family of Ironman replicas.

Stunning work , the armour seen very light weight , this make easier movement while wearing the armour. Keep up the good work.

Thanks, it's very light weight a full suit on armour is less then 30 lbs with vacuum froming no worries about chips or runs or itchy fibers either just a clean plastic shell.

wow!! very impressive first post!! and excited to see a local create the suit!! looks sharp too!!:love:love any chance i could see this in person? i have a couple iron man props i could show you if your interested!! great work and PM'd you!!

Thanks, off hand I'm not sure if I ready for public unvailing still much work to be done be for the parts are perfect.

Thanks for the support and good feed back, I have high hopes for this new suit, a few people asked if it was taken off the original, but no I'm just getting the best references and trying best to size everything up to the actual proportions of the hero and stunt suits themselves. I wont be alone in this project a budy of mine that lives her in town help me get the funding and finish work, he also referd me to these forms.

He's best known for building arc reactors and props from constantine, he will be the one painting this suit I'm just doing the parts and molds.

Love the IM suits! Really looking forward to seeing this come together. Any chance you will also offer these suits when completed?

Love the IM suits! Really looking forward to seeing this come together. Any chance you will also offer these suits when completed?

Yeah that's the idea here, basically the idea is the best quality as close to the movie suit as possible and built out of very light weight and much more durability then the materials being used to date, and they are designed to be fit to most people very easy to resize and customize parts, plus it will be cheaper and take 3-4 weeks to build a suit not 6 months like others claim.

Wow! Wicked!
I love Ironman....and your costume XD..

I was wondering, (sorry if it's an extremly stupid question but do you need a special machine do form the plastic? i always used system D (as big hairdryer) but it just takes ages...

*go hide in a dark corner*

Wow! Wicked!
I love Ironman....and your costume XD..

I was wondering, (sorry if it's an extremly stupid question but do you need a special machine do form the plastic? i always used system D (as big hairdryer) but it just takes ages...

*go hide in a dark corner*

Tell me about it, well better to use a high heat gun those go over 1200 degress much better for plastic shaping, but yes I use 2 different vacuum former machines 1 holds a 4ftX4ft sheet and is about 3 1/2ft deep and a smaller 32inX24in by 1ft deep machine for smaller or more detailed parts and it heats up and forms the plastic over molds designed to with stand high heat and 350lbs of pressure.

Note: there are no stupid questions.

I should have the last shell molds done tomorrow and get some more shots, of the gloves plus I've got a few request on a vacuum forming tutorial which I'll post up soon enough.

just for fun here's a older helmet I did, was one of the 3 original runs.

Iron_man_Super_hero_helmet_by_DarkAsylumxxx.jpg

Open_ironman_new_by_DarkAsylumxxx.jpg

I've done a lot of changes to the molds sense this version was formed, alterations to the chin and the helmet rim and the edges on the upper sides but not too bad for a first version.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back