Iron man 3 Mk 8 in pepakura - A collaboration work

IMIM2

Sr Member
Credit goes to trojanwr21 for the files.
Thank you for sharing this.
I refolded and ended up with 31 parts, which will be further reduced
since I will use heat technique for head and faceplate.

I don't know why, but I can't stop building this!
I even hate the metallic tan color.

Wish me luck, I hope I can finish the helmet, or at least before painting.

Last edited:
Re: Mk VIII -yes 8- helmet WIP

I ca't believe I made a fatal newbie mistake :facepalm.
I forgot to scale the helmet. I put it in my tips thread.

I am back to drawing again, refining the mod, resize and print again.
Here is my progress so far.
I bought small piece of 2mm sintra, that I might use for jaw and ear section and perhaps back of the head. Never work with sintra before. Anybody care to give me heads up on Sintra?

I print on used paper instead of cardboard, so it looked like it has some complicated lines, don't worry about that.

Will post progress as soon as I can.

Finally, almost everything is assembled.
Please excuse the tape, I haven't heated up the top head and faceplate so it still won't sit in place correctly. The ear and jaw will use sintra.

Finished it!:unsure
It turned out the helmet is still too small.
I got a lot of personal notes on how to improve this.
I am not going to paint this moment, so I am going to stop.

White jaw line is actually sintra. I was planning to do sintra on ear, but I lost interest on the helmet already, so just for the sake of finishing the general helmet, I used foam.

The popped edges of the faceplate will be handled by magnets. It'll function as on/off switch for the eyes (see my tips thread)

I just learned how to draw dented lines with solder. It turned out very easy. The lines you see was after fifth trials.

I tried to have no seam for top helmet, but it is two way bend and I failed. So I cut into 3 pieces, scribe the inside and reattached it. Back of the helmet is actually sloppy.

Enjoy

PS; just notice that there is dented lines from ear to eyes. The chin have different level

Mr. Howard,
The answer to your question was written in my very first post.

For those of you whose following my post, I've been jumping around between Iron man Mk8, rescue armor, spiderman and Batman. I'm sorry, I haven't really focus on what I'm doing right now.

After successfully making spiderman eyes, today, I am trying to make iron man's eyes. You probably saw a lot of thread covering the lighted eyes. I am using SMD LED strip and white translucent acrylic as diffuser. It'll be direct lighting set up.
The difference is that I am going to custom made the eyes according the pepakura file and the scaling. Mk8 eyes actually a bit different. Instead of 4 sides irregular rectangular shapes (I don't know what it called), Mk8 eye holes has at least 6 sides (or 6 corners).

My first attempt was to make irregular rectangle, similar to other IM eyes (see the black-foam). It didn't fit the eye hole nicely. So I created the 6 sides eyes and play around with the size and shape. I ended up with 5 sides (the bottom one), which to me is better shape and easier to build.

For some reason, the scaling is not inline with the original pepakura files. So trial and error still need to be done (that expalin different sizes in the picture). Since this is direct lighting setup, I reduce the scaling futher, to accomodate small gap for the actual vision.

So now that the containment finished, I will continue to finish the eyes. I will update the WIP later.

I need to give credits for pRoJectEarth7 and xRobots for sharing the idea of making IM eyes.

I finished installing (temporary) the eyes to my Mk8. Using 6 SMD white led per eyes is bright enough. I added extra sandblast film on the right eye, but it doesn't make much different (the camera didn't pick up the difference). I am still puzzled on how to create blue "ring" around the edge. I tried to use some blue sheet or blue marker, but it failed. I used blue LED, but I will use that for my rescue armor helmet.

Here is the picture in comparison between direct lighting and indirect lighting, and the brightness difference. Both using 6 SMD LEDs per eye.

I haven't do dry brushing for ages. Thought I'd give it a try on the helmet.
Turned out quite nice.
The only regret was I used white sintra. So the metal effect don't show with white background. I used too much paint on the lower faceplate

Dry brushing use so little paint, yet the impact is so nice.

I might end up covering the whole thing with silver.

Remember the released picture of partial Mk8?
I want to make that one.

So first thing is the forearm.
I had help from my friend Helagak, who is generously share his time making the 3d outline of the forearm. It's a basic shape of the forearm, so I print it, run few lines, cut, redraw the template and making the foam.
It is basically a scratch build.

This is the first prototype of the forearm. I painted washed silver first.

Next is to create the handplate and elbow details.

Does anybody can help me creating just an outline shape of the shin and boots? I don't need the detail, because it'll be scratch build so I don't cost too much of your time. It'll be so much helpful to my project.

The way it was made, I don't know how a person can fit to the boot+shin and moving around. It doesn't have any extra spacer to move around at the ankle.

Again, thank you Helagak for making this!

Comments are welcome

Re: Mk VIII -yes 8- helmet and forearm WIP

That forearm came out great! Especially considering that was my first model of this type! I still like my second forearm better. But you worked miricles with it! Good job. On to the rest of the suit!!

Thanks Helagak, couldn't do it without you.

Just half-finished the elbow. Front and back will be covered with "flexible" metal strips. Hope my idea will work. The elbow was just free-drawn.
I find it the forearm only is too boring picture, so I put next to my almost finished arc reactor

How about a sexy bicep?? ;-)
ech9s.png

@nooblet: thank you

@Helagak: goodie...will find sometime to work on this ASAP.
I am about to make flexible coat test, but I don't think it'll be done today. Hope I can finish the test for you, before you start the paint job. I'll run the test on the helmet, also got the new tan color for Mk8, hope the color is close enough.

Just for funnsies, I decided to put the whole left arm together!
The shoulder bell is almost done. It will be added maybe today.
QGive.png

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back