IM Mk3 Plastic Coated Foam (WIP) update pg 10

Shelfside

Okay, okay, I know this thread will score zero for originality being yet another IM build and a foam one at that but try as might I just kept coming back to a Mk3.

I stumbled into he whole pep' thing whilst searching for an R2D2 Christmas present for my youngest daughter, which quickly led me to discovering 'theRPF' and its many, many Iron Man builds. Armed with the knowledge gleaned from many hours reading some of the superb threads here and watching a s@&)load of tuts' I was hooked.
So what to build? And in which material?
Well as much as I would have liked to have built something more original it was always gonna be Iron Man. I grew up reading lots of Marvel titles but T.I.I.M was & still is the daddy as far as I'm concerned. I did flirt with building the 'classic' suit but the Mk3 just seems more relative nowadays.
Material wise it had to be foam for me. Despite having lots of experience working with fibreglass/carbon etc and having done lots of bondo/ bodywork in my car/bike building days my current house just doesn't have the facilities to carry out resin/glass work etc, well not without poisoning the kids and I've grown quite attached to them:rolleyes

Anyway enough rambling here's some pics:
DSCF1167.jpg

DSCF1166.jpg

DSCF1159.jpg

DSCF1170.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Another Iron Man Mk3 first build (WIP)

Looks a lot nearer finished than it actually is, most of the individual parts are unfinished and temporarily connected with tape or cocktail sticks. Also the thigh needs redoing as I'm not satisfied with how it came out along with the helmet needing scaling up slightly:facepalm
DSCF1184.jpg

DSCF1177.jpg

DSCF1160.jpg

I'm officially jealous of how clean your cuts and seams are. What tools did you use to achieve the angled v-shaped grooves?

WOW that is super clean, nice and sharp lines, just curious what type of foam did you use it seems so soft and thin, care to share with us?

Really nice clean build man. Gunna keep an eye on how this turns out :)

I'm officially jealous of how clean your cuts and seams are. What tools did you use to achieve the angled v-shaped grooves?
I use a standard retractable knife on the last notch ie only 4mm blade protruding.

dam ...thats beautiful ...smooth cuts and great lines i will keep an eye on this thread.
Many Thanks :thumbsup

WOW that is super clean, nice and sharp lines, just curious what type of foam did you use it seems so soft and thin, care to share with us?
Hi the foam is Plastazote LD45, predominantly 6mm and some 3mm for detail work. It is a little softer than the EVA foam I've seen but its very pliable and responds well to heat shaping meaning less cuts are necessary.

Really nice clean build man. Gunna keep an eye on how this turns out :)
Thanks mate, your tutorials were very helpful when I started out :thumbsup

wow nice clean lines, no glue showing looks really precise. nice shape to helmet too. totally awesome.

looks comfy :)

shoulders look a tad too big, maybe scale them to the same scale as the biceps?

LOOKS GREAT!

Last edited:

Thanks for all the nice words, I know it's been said here before but feedback (good & bad) really is invaluable:thumbsup

Regarding the shoulders I'm hoping its just the fact that there not fixed at he back so have splayed a bit and thus look a bit on the large side :confused

Well today I spent some time trying to finish up the Ab's and the back which I'll post some pics' of tomorrow, but found a few pics of when I made the helmet (yeah the one which I need to remake)
First couple show where I combined separate parts to minimise joints
image_zps8d588ff6.jpg

image_zps1f8e591f.jpg

And this one shows a heated piece being formed on a football lol
image_zps70839722.jpg

This is one ABSOLUTELY AWESOME build!!!

Unbelievably clean cut and very well made:):thumbsup ... I wonder what do you use to have this kind of fantastic result... :confused

It even looks it does not need to be painted

Congrats man for a job well done... keep building!

cheers :):thumbsup

This is one ABSOLUTELY AWESOME build!!!

Unbelievably clean cut and very well made:):thumbsup ... I wonder what do you use to have this kind of fantastic result... :confused

It even looks it does not need to be painted

Congrats man for a job well done... keep building!

cheers :):thumbsup
Many Thanks mate:thumbsup

Managed to get the Abs' & back 90% done yesterday. Decided the best way to fix it all was to build the Cod & Abs as one & to fit the spine directly to the back. The lower part of the spine attaches to the back of he Abs with a couple of rare earth magnets. Hopefully this will give decent fit & articulation along with being relatively simple to get on & off. Lower flaps have been left loose at the bottom until I paint:thumbsup
image_zpsdfb95b7c-1.jpg

image_zps0024b77c.jpg

It looks clean. Awesome work. And the shoulders look great especially looking at it from front view ...Great job

Thanks for the info on the 4mm blade depth! Gonna try it when I get off duty. You're build is so smooth!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back