How to add your own connections, and join sections of EL tape together

Canobi

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
My first costume was based on Tron legacy with a little influence from the first film thrown in.

I had never worked with EL before, so armed with some electronics skills and a bucket load of enginuity, I set about finding the possibiltys and limitations of this really cool glowey stuff :thumbsup

I'm going to start with the wire first, as the choice of wire will dictate how long a connection can stand repetitive bending before the wire snaps through metal fatigue if its not properly secured, or coated.

I found that for the best results and flexibility, use test meter wire. It's stranded with much finer wires, and the sleeve is ultra flexible. It's normally used for multimeters, but can be bought online by the meter (I get mine from eBay *note, I'll be saying that a lot :lol).

For flat laying sections on costumes, you want about 25% more wire length than the distance from connection to connection to allow for a certain amount of shallow bending that may occur.

To gain acces to the contacts, and securing the wire and contact points, you'll need:

a sharpie or scalpel

EL tape/sheet

wire glue or cold solder (I bought mine on eBay)

a cocktail stick for applying the glue

some paper towel (wire glue can get everywhere if your not careful or tidy)

epoxy resin or firm curing glue to act as a protective coating for the wire glue (it's a little bit brittle when cured, so some kind of protective layer is needed)

electrical tape, or better still, brush on PlastiDip (love PlastiDip, so many uses :thumbsup)

Clear sealing tape (to prevent moisture from creeping in to the cut areas.

Start off by making a few simple templates that represent the angles, or shapes needed, then cut the tape accordingly.

Take your sharpie and very carefully cut a very small square or circle over the top I've the silver electrodes (just deep enough to go through the outermost layer, one for each is fine at ANY point along the electrodes), and gently remove the cut sections to expose the silver layer underneath.

Take your measured lengths of wire and tape just behind the exposed ends to sue cure in place.

Give the wire glue pot a thorough shaking for a minute as the carbon molecules tend to settle on the bottom. Once shaken, carefully remove the lid and give it a gentle stir (WARNING! This stuff can get EVERYWHERE, so make sure the paper towels are handy).

Once the wire glue is dry, it'll start conducting electricity very well, but it's a little brittle, so mix up a small amount of epoxy and dab a peas worth of it over each connection point and allow to cure.

Finaly, secure any wires that won't move about by bending with PlastiDip or tape, and seal off any exposed cut sections of tape with clear to stop moisture from being absorbed (it won't like that).

End....

It's possible to make the tape thinner, shape it slightly, split it in half down the middle, or make holes in it as long as the centre electrode, and one of the two outer electrode tracks are still present along any part of the cut/shaped length of tape.

Here's an example I made*of the connections and join possibilities:

ELconnectorandjoiningoptions.gif

Here is a working example of one I joined together

bd55f47f.jpg

625ed5b6.jpg

d95996f5.jpg

...and the wire glue...

683cfbe2.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome write-up, Canobi. Thanks!

I've heard of people using clear packing tape or even superglue to seal up cut edges. (Not sure which has better long-term reliability.)

Awesome write-up, Canobi. Thanks!

I've heard of people using clear packing tape or even superglue to seal up cut edges. (Not sure which has better long-term reliability.)

Thanks crimson490 :)

I'll keep adding updates and share innovations as they develope :thumbsup

I've learned so much on this awesome forum, I'm just glad I have something I can share back for a change :lol

I enjoyed doing it as well, so I'm going to do others on related subjects.

For my next one, I'm investigating a theory I have for a budget make of colour matchable rubber strips that will hold EL wire up to 5mm to clothing without stitches ;)

Hi there! This is super helpful information. Thank you so much! I'm sure options may have changed since you did your project, but what company did you get your EL tape/sheet from? I'm finding the selection very overwhelming now. There are a lot of cuttable sheets out there. Seems like that is most versatile, but also easier to waste if you screw it up vs. the tape. Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back