Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    Aberdeen, NC
    May 10, 2011, 7:30 AM - Harry Potter -- Quidditch Brooms -- WIP's #1

I've been asked by a few friends to make scaled up versions of quidditch brooms. Since none of us are as short as the actors in HP, they will all be scaled up to 70". By the end of the summer, I will have 4 brooms completed:

1. Nimbus 2000 (POA)
    2. Ginny Weasley's (HBP)
    3. Ron Weasley's (HBP)
    4. Firebolt (GOF)

The Nimbus will be completed first, with Ginny's and Ron's being done together 2nd, and the firebolt last.
    From
    Aberdeen, NC
    May 10, 2011, 7:42 AM - Re: Harry Potter -- Quidditch Brooms -- WIP's #2

Nimbus 2000 (POA)

First up is the POA version of the Nimbus 2000. The main differences between the POA Nimbus and the SS/COS Nimbus are the Legs/Stir-ups and the bracket that goes around the bristles.

The legs have been shaped using a forge and blowtorch and the pieces welded together to make a neary indestructable piece (pics to come later). Because this will add weight to the broom, another steel rod will run from the end of the shaft through the bristles and barely poke out so that it can be rested on the bristle end without snaping off any of the bristles.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	poa_quidditch.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	52950   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	567px-Nimbushandle.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	52951   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nimbus_2000.jpg 
Views:	11244 
Size:	26.6 KB 
ID:	52953  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Quidditch_Rules-Quidditch_Poster.jpg 
Views:	3463 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	52954  
    Last edited by TONKA1675; May 10, 2011 at 2:08 PM.
    From
    Aberdeen, NC
    May 10, 2011, 8:11 AM - Re: Harry Potter -- Quidditch Brooms -- WIP's #3

Here's some pics of the leg welding and painting progress taken with my cell.

Name:	IMG_20101226_155215.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	843.7 KB 
ID:	52955   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	imagejpeg952.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	152.2 KB 
ID:	52956   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20110426_213234.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	900.7 KB 
ID:	52957  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20110508_190215.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	52958  
    From
    Aberdeen, NC
    May 10, 2011, 8:48 AM - Re: Harry Potter -- Quidditch Brooms -- WIP's #4

Actually, I just realized I should have started this in the props section, not the costuming section. If a moderator could move it, it'd be appreciated. Thanks!
    Last edited by TONKA1675; May 10, 2011 at 2:08 PM.
  5. RPF Social Media Team Westies14's Avatar
    From
    Massachusetts
    May 10, 2011, 8:59 AM - Re: Harry Potter -- Quidditch Brooms -- WIP's #5

WOW!!!

I have to ask: what would you charge to make another - non-scaled - metal piece like that? That's just incredible... Great work!
    From
    Aberdeen, NC
    May 10, 2011, 10:30 AM - Re: Harry Potter -- Quidditch Brooms -- WIP's #6

Unfortunately it's a very labor intensive process, (heating/bending/cooling, welding, cleaning up the welds, grinding) and I've got a ton of costuming work on my plate already, plus I'm starting my masters degree. Besides, for how much time it took to get it right, you'd probably be better off costwise just buying a noble collection broom if you don't want it scaled. Believe me, if I could have just bought one of their brooms scaled to my height, I would have gone with that in a heartbeat!

If I do get some time free'd up though, I'll let you know. Thanks for the compliments!
  7. Insert Title Here RPF Premium Member Wolfie's Avatar
    From
    Nashville
    May 10, 2011, 11:11 AM - Re: Harry Potter -- Quidditch Brooms -- WIP's #7

westies 14 said: View Post
    WOW!!!

I have to ask: what would you charge to make another - non-scaled - metal piece like that? That's just incredible... Great work!

No kidding!

I for one do appreciate you posting these though because at least it gives me hope I can make at least SOMETHING similar to what you have there.
  8. Member Since
    Oct 2010
    From
    UK
    May 10, 2011, 12:24 PM - Re: Harry Potter -- Quidditch Brooms -- WIP's #8

Stick with it - sure, it's nice to be able to get one easily "off the shelf" as it were.. but there's nothing quite like knowing that *you* made a prop / costume, etc yourself
    From
    Aberdeen, NC
    May 10, 2011, 2:05 PM - Re: Harry Potter -- Quidditch Brooms -- WIP's #9

kessa said: View Post
    Stick with it - sure, it's nice to be able to get one easily "off the shelf" as it were.. but there's nothing quite like knowing that *you* made a prop / costume, etc yourself
    I absolutely agree, but it did take months to get it right, and it's not for me, it's for a friend. The good news though is that the rest of the broom will be a breeze by compairison!

After these four are done, the plan is to revisit the Nimbus and make one for myself as well.
    May 10, 2011, 6:07 PM - Re: Harry Potter -- Quidditch Brooms -- WIP's #10

I can't wait until the firebolt it made
    From
    Aberdeen, NC
    May 11, 2011, 10:46 AM - Re: Harry Potter -- Quidditch Brooms -- WIP's #11

Me either, that one's for me!
    From
    Columbia, SC
    May 11, 2011, 11:34 AM - Re: Harry Potter -- Quidditch Brooms -- WIP's #12

These are awesome! I made my own a few years ago and am remaking them this summer. Yours great so far! Are you doing the metal work yourself?

Also, you're doing Ron & Ginny's brooms right? From all the pictures I've seen, they are pretty much the same broom. Have you seen any other differences? Can't wait to see how these come out! If you're interested in making more Firebolt pedals I may have to hit ya up. I sent CAD drawings for them to a friend but he's being a slacker so I'm looking for someone who can actually do them.

Anywho, can't wait to see how these turn out!

i
    From
    Aberdeen, NC
    May 11, 2011, 2:03 PM - Re: Harry Potter -- Quidditch Brooms -- WIP's #13

There are a few differences between their brooms, but you are correct that they are very nearly the same.

To go along with character developement with the weasley's being a "poor family", I think of their brooms along the lines of "Someone else bought something like a firebolt 20 years ago, handed it down through the siblings for a few years, and when the last one was too old for it the weasley's got it at a Wizard Yard Sale!" They're very reminiscent of a dirty, overused, hand me down broom. Maybe at one time it was the best, but it's way outdated now.

Similarities
    Size, shape, bristles

Differences
    Pedals -- (ginny's is close to the shape of a firebolt in it's curves, where as ron's are closer to the Nimbus 2001 with straight cylinders and spheres at the end)

Color -- (ginny's is a darker brown/reddish, ron's is more of a tan yellow color -- Think light color wooden baseball bat)

Bands -- I haven't looked in a while, but it seems like ron's has 2 bands like the firebolt, and ginny has the 2nd band missing with a leather strap replacement, like the band broke and they fixed it back up

The problem I'll have with the firebolt pedals is that they go from thicker at the shaft attachment to gradually thinner at the ends. Personally, the easiest way might be to hand bend aluminum rod, and to use bondo to build up the thickness.
    Last edited by TONKA1675; May 11, 2011 at 2:14 PM.
    From
    Aberdeen, NC
    May 11, 2011, 2:55 PM - Re: Harry Potter -- Quidditch Brooms -- WIP's #14

I also just remembered that in a lot of the screenshots I have, it looks like the legs on ron's leading to the pedals are actually flat like a rectangular prism rather than cylindrical like ginny's. Watch the movie and look at the legs when the camera is looking at ron's back during the quidditch match in HBP.
    From
    Columbia, SC
    May 11, 2011, 3:09 PM - Re: Harry Potter -- Quidditch Brooms -- WIP's #15

Tonka, you're absolutely right, my bad! I saw some promo pics and Ron and Ginny were using the same broom. Ron's has the square cross section pedals and Ginny has the Firebolt style pedals, but with what looks like a canvas band following the single metal bracket.

Here's the pic if you're interested: http://blogbonniewright.com/wp-conte...uidditch-2.jpg

Also, I meant to add earlier, I'm sure you may have seen this, but when you're doing your Nimbus 2000's, those 3 bands are actually wires wrapped around in clusters. I saw the real brooms at the exhibition, and they are beautiful things but that was one detail that stood out. When we see them far away they appear to be solid metal rings but they are actually made up from brass wires. Which may work in your benefit depending on how you plan to do the tails!

Anywho, on your Firebolt pedals, yeah, I'd recommend bending some rod, but I'd advice against bondo. Perhaps take some acrylic rod on a lathe, taper it, then heat bend it? There's a great making of video for the Firebolt from Cinereplicas. Have you seen it?

Hope some of this helps you any!

i
    From
    Columbia, SC
    May 11, 2011, 3:15 PM - Re: Harry Potter -- Quidditch Brooms -- WIP's #16

Tonka, you're right, they are square cross section. I'd get some square tube, heat bend it to shape, and then pop the circular pedals on that way.

Here's a decent pic of that:
    http://littledailyprophet.files.word...009/03/ron.jpg
    From
    Aberdeen, NC
    May 11, 2011, 6:02 PM - Re: Harry Potter -- Quidditch Brooms -- WIP's #17

EZBSVS said: View Post
    Also, I meant to add earlier, I'm sure you may have seen this, but when you're doing your Nimbus 2000's, those 3 bands are actually wires wrapped around in clusters.
    Yep, I was aware of that. Thanks though, any help or extra insight from anyone else will always be appreciated by me. It's one of the mistakes they made on the Nobel collection broom. Here's a close-up of the one hanging up in the ceiling at WWoHP. While I know it's not a screen used broom, it's still pretty accurate.

Anywho, on your Firebolt pedals, yeah, I'd recommend bending some rod, but I'd advice against bondo. Perhaps take some acrylic rod on a lathe, taper it, then heat bend it? There's a great making of video for the Firebolt from Cinereplicas. Have you seen it?
    Sounds like it would work, but I don't have access to a lathe and I've never tried bending acrylic rod. I'll definately have to check out that video for sure.

Name:	Wizarding World of Harry Potter 640.jpg 
Views:	419 
Size:	739.7 KB 
ID:	53112  
    From
    Columbia, SC
    May 11, 2011, 6:53 PM - Re: Harry Potter -- Quidditch Brooms -- WIP's #18

Tonka, I have a good lathe myself, I don't know if you'd be interested in some sort of arrangement? And it's a pretty easy job to bend it. Set up some sort of jig for the angle you want, then use a heat gun and gently heat it till it bends. Pretty simple. Then just spray it with primer, etc etc.

As for the Nimbus picture, I remember seeing that when I visited Orlando too! Glad you caught it

What are your plans for the tails as far as the brush goes? Twigs and the like? I've seen craft stores that sell similar branches, but they tend to be kinda expensive.

Sorry to pester you so much with all this, I get rather excited when dealing with Harry Potter stuff.
    From
    Southeastern PA
    May 11, 2011, 8:28 PM - Re: Harry Potter -- Quidditch Brooms -- WIP's #19

I'm part of the same costuming group as Tonka and I'm supposed to come up with a Nimbus 2001 for my Slytherin quidditch uniform. Now I'm so incredibly intimidated just reading the build methods you guys are talking about. I have no access to any of this stuff. I think I'm going to have to buy a Noble version. At least its sized correctly to my height. :\

This is why I just stick to sewing...
    From
    Aberdeen, NC
    May 11, 2011, 9:33 PM - Re: Harry Potter -- Quidditch Brooms -- WIP's #20

Now Natasha, I'm sure between you and dustin you could do it. I'd be willing to help you do any research or explain any methods for getting it done. Having held all three reproductions, I gotta say the 2001 is my favorite.

@EZBSVS -- don't ever think you're going to bug me with questions. Any of my friends would tell you that I ALWAYS overanalyze and overexplain everything. I am in fact using the dried naturals from the store, but I caught them on sale a few months ago at Hobby Lobby for 50% off. I believe I got enough for 4 brooms for about $85 at that discount. It's another reason why I'm using the steel rod in the brush, dried naturals are brittle and will snap under pressure, unlike the nobel collection firebolt which has rubber, bendable brush.
    From
    Columbia, SC
    May 11, 2011, 11:19 PM - Re: Harry Potter -- Quidditch Brooms -- WIP's #21

Iycis, having built my own Nimbus 2001 (look at my flickr, crappy cell pics are there) I can tell you that anyone can do it. My own advice if you do do it though: laminate your handle, don't try to glue things together longways. It just doesn't work out. Then for your tail, use a mop head, and fiberglass resin. Get enough resin on there a bit of sanding, and some hi build primer, and it'll pass all tests. Exciting stuff!

For your slytherin uniform, which version are you going for? I wanted to do the Half Blood Prince variation, but could only find the right fabric in the UK. So doing Bulgaria instead :P

@Tonka, I approve your methods sir. My friends get annoyed with it at times, but I love knowing I have everything down to the last detail. So we're on the same page there!
    Your raid on Hobby Lobby was a good idea. Especially with coupons! My sister works at a craft store so I get to borrow her friends n family discount. But I'll essentially be doing the same. Only for mine I'm thinking of doing something a little sturdier. I agree that the rubber brush of the Noble's is crap. But to stay a little true to the Firebolt, might I suggest a collection of thinner (1/8"ish) metal rods? So that you don't just have one long metal rod sticking out all awkward like?

Again, forgive me if I intrude, I am sure you have spent as much time as I thinking these things up and I do not mean to step on your plans. Feel free to ignore them as you will

It makes me happy to see other folks who are as into this as I am! If there is any way at all I can provide any services, let me know. I'd offer a portfolio but I don't have one. But I do have decent wood working skills and abilities. Let me know if I can help any!

Thanks for putting up with me as usual!

i
    From
    Aberdeen, NC
    May 12, 2011, 7:11 AM - Re: Harry Potter -- Quidditch Brooms -- WIP's #22

But to stay a little true to the Firebolt, might I suggest a collection of thinner (1/8"ish) metal rods? So that you don't just have one long metal rod sticking out all awkward like?
    Good suggestion, but let me explain what I'll do so that it makes a little more sense. A commonality in all HP brooms is that the longest broom bristles are in the dead center of the tail (from a rear view) with the bristles either shortening as you move outward, or in the case of brooms like the firebolt, you have more "flyaways". This mean that if I do a single rod down the center of the tail, it will not only be more than adequate for supporting the weight without breaking bristles, but then I can cut the bristles directly touching the rod to within 1mm or so of the end of the rod. This will completely hide the rod which will be painted to match the bristles, without having the rod sticking an inch or two out the back making it visable. It should really only be visable from a direct rear view, and even then only if you're really looking for it.

If I do multiple smaller rods, I then run into the fact that not only will it not really be any more structurally sound, but then I will have to have them all be exactly the same length. If they are not, then only the longest ones will be supporting weight, which defeats the purpose of having multiple supports in the first place, and will make them much harder to hide.

It makes me happy to see other folks who are as into this as I am! If there is any way at all I can provide any services, let me know. I'd offer a portfolio but I don't have one. But I do have decent wood working skills and abilities. Let me know if I can help any!
    I'd definately like to collaborate with you on a project in the future, but as a former carpenter I'm pretty set on woodworking. I'm the type of person though who likes to continually learn new skill sets, so I tend to only buy pieces if it's just waaaay out of my league or if it's too cost prohibitive for me to make just one. Perfect example are the quidditch sweaters and house scarves. I learned to knit just so that I could make them, and I did make a few scarves for practice. But once I realized the time involved in hand knitting my own sweater, I discovered the price difference would be the equivalent of paying myself 15 cents an hour to do it. I could get a few other complete costumes done for the time it would have taken me to knit just that one sweater, plus I just don't particularly enjoy knitting.
    From
    Southeastern PA
    May 12, 2011, 8:32 AM - Re: Harry Potter -- Quidditch Brooms -- WIP's #23

TONKA1675 said: View Post
    Now Natasha, I'm sure between you and dustin you could do it. I'd be willing to help you do any research or explain any methods for getting it done. Having held all three reproductions, I gotta say the 2001 is my favorite.
    Lol...the more I read, the less I want to try to make this. You guys are too good!
    From
    Aberdeen, NC
    May 12, 2011, 8:41 AM - Re: Harry Potter -- Quidditch Brooms -- WIP's #24

iycis said: View Post
    Lol...the more I read, the less I want to try to make this. You guys are too good!
    Thank you, I take that as a very high compliment coming from someone as talented as you!
  25. Member Since
    May 2011
    May 14, 2011, 4:47 AM - Re: Harry Potter -- Quidditch Brooms -- WIP's #25

Curious, are you /just/ basing these off the movies? Ron is said to be extremely tall, and his though still poor, he got a new brook pre HBP. While it's definitely not a firebolt, it is a new cleansweep rather than a shabby hand-me-down.

Aside from a few book canon things like that, they already look good in their beginning stages If I had ze money, I'd definitely want one.