Gears of war complete pep.

Peoples26

What it do RPF? First thing first, I am a noob so get all your jokes out. I'm a man i can handle it.

2nd, I wont to give credit to Spartan051 and Maj. Pain over at the 405th for the pep files. And thanks to Sulla here at the RPF, we work together and he has been letting me pick his brain.

I'm new to Pepakura, I've completed 2 pep files before getting into the gears files. 1 iron man helmet and 1 HD iron man helmet. After completing those, this armor was very easy for me to complete.

I've played around with resin with the iron man helmets but that didn't work out well. I've been reading a lot threads on how to resin halo armor so i think i have a pretty good hang on it now, but still kinda worried about doing it. Just asking for a little help thanks.

DSC00954.jpg
DSC00951.jpg

Are you asking for tips on how to use/apply resin to a pep build like this? I don't know the answer, but I wanted to help start the dialog if possible.

-Resin the exterior of the suit.
-Fiberglass the inside.
-Apply filler onto exterior, this will allow you to round edges and get details in, rather
than keeping those jagged pep edges.
-Sand the filler to get your details
-Prime
-Paint

-Resin the exterior of the suit.
-Fiberglass the inside.

when you say "fiber glass the inside" do you mean, use fiber glass chop mat/paper towels/fiber cloth with resin on top?

because im working on my first pep ever, and after a couple layers of just resin on the inside i was much happier with those results than when i applied the fiber material.

when you say "fiber glass the inside" do you mean, use fiber glass chop mat/paper towels/fiber cloth with resin on top?

To be clear, the fiberglass chop/mat/cloth is what gives the structure of the armor strength... without it, the armor will just crack or break under normal abuse. The chop/mat/cloth goes on the UNDERSIDE (interior) of the aromr, because you want the exterior of the armor to be as smooth as possible.

Hope this helps. ;)

thx guys, i was following a thread on the 405th. after resin and fiberglass, one of the guys used craft foam on the model to make it look plated. would like to use the same ideal but not sure how the resin will take on the foam.
Can I resin craft foam and be ok?

love the rocketeer jetpack, would love to start a new project but the wife is already mad at me for this. promised her after the home made projector i was going to stop. we all know that's a lie......

I know there is someone on here that is currently working with craft foam. Im sure if you search it, it will pick up. Ill look see if I can find the link after work.
If i remember correctly from the thread what they did was just used some time of sealer over the foam and when straight into prime and painting.

Thanks Alteregos, and Spiderkiller11, if the foam didn't work i was going to use styrene. Wanted to use craft foam to keep down my cost.

you can by a small pack of 24 8x8 for a buck at the $ store. love the that store, that's were i get all my leds and parts i needed for my handheld systems

If the craft foam you're talking about is similar to Foamies, then fiberglass resin won't eat through it, but since resin cures through an exothermic reaction (Emits heat) it can cause the foam to warp slightly, so be sure to use thin coats of resin, waiting for each coat to cure before the next.

Someone over at the 405th made a video where they tested it out.

That said, it doesn't really add much strength. As was mentioned earlier, fiberglass/glass/cloth/chop/matting is what adds strength. The resin only makes it so solid because it's a porous substrate. Closed cell foam is fairly unporous, so it can't soak much resin up and it just remains on the surface.

Good luck.

-Nick

thx TheNickFox,

Ok Me and Sulla talked about this before. I had to cut the sides to try on the armor, I was think about using elastic and using his ideal of a covered bridge to cover up the elastic. but after i resin and fiberglass i still wouldn't put the thing on. So I'm thinking about cutting above the arms, making it two parts. putting a hing or strap on top and straps and buckles for the sides.

here is a side pick, If i don't make sense please let me, what do you guys think?
DSC00953.jpg

DSC00952.jpg

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back