Fully 3D Printed Functional MK 42 !! :0

thats amazing dude so wish i had sum skills like that :(

I just learned these skills, I think if you put your mind to it you can do anything! :)

Boot_v2_5.3_frntqtr.png
Boot_v2_5.3_calfopen.png
Boot_v2_5.3_frnt75.png
Boot_v2_5.3_shinfor75.png
Boot_v2_5.3_shoefor75.png
Boot_v2_5.3_bck130.png
Boot_v2_5.3_shinfor130.png
Boot_v2_5.3_shoefor130.png

Yes, I know its very manual way of doing the sizing lol. I don't have time for the boot contruction to get that all set up but will definitely get my body scanned before heading into the rest of the suit.

awesome :) thats the way tony stark would do it

Haha yes, a body scan no less for mr. Stark. We have a kinect and the software its just my tech guys are so busy and I need to get the boot done asap.

Here is a pic of the parts that were printed yesterday ---

IMAG0675.jpg

The heel is printing out now, should be done when I get back from work. Then the second piece of the shoe will go overnight, and printing the third piece in the morning... and so on. :)

Plans for painting the suit:

Step 1: Apply Marine Filler and sand

Step 2: Sandable primer coat, sand

Step 3: Sandable primer coat, sand again

Step 4: Sandable primer coat, sand it really fine

Step 5: Spray on quality car paint

Step 6: Spray on clear coat finish

Step 7: Wish you hired a pro

Haha painting isn't too bad... That's actually my favorite part... If you were local, I would help you out with paint...

Sent from my HTC One X

More update pics on the print, and I've been working with one of the team members on setting up the locking mechanism as well as working on the gauntlet housing and controls. There are some cracking here and there on the large pieces that I will have to deal with filling in later.

IMAG0694.jpg
IMAG0696.jpg

Printing all the time! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Haha painting isn't too bad... That's actually my favorite part... If you were local, I would help you out with paint...

Sent from my HTC One X

Hey thanks for suggesting the help! I do have someone doing the paint job but I still have to prime and sand it myself...

Only one word... WOW!! Truly amazing! You can get very good results with pepakura, fiberglass and bondo but 3D printing is so much more efficient and easy to use when you can do 3D modeling! I am truly considering to buy a 3D printer or make one myself but I would need more infos on what would be better.So what are you using? What printer and what software? Also, your models of this boot is stunning! So much details and precision! Would you be open to share it or you want to keep it for yourself? I would really be interested in getting your files and I could even help you with modeling!

In brief, awesome work you did here and really looking forward to this thread!

That is amazing!

Thanks, it is a mess with some warping on the seams but I will fix it when I glue the pieces together.

Only one word... WOW!! Truly amazing! You can get very good results with pepakura, fiberglass and bondo but 3D printing is so much more efficient and easy to use when you can do 3D modeling! I am truly considering to buy a 3D printer or make one myself but I would need more infos on what would be better.So what are you using? What printer and what software? Also, your models of this boot is stunning! So much details and precision! Would you be open to share it or you want to keep it for yourself? I would really be interested in getting your files and I could even help you with modeling!

In brief, awesome work you did here and really looking forward to this thread!

Hey thanks, I actually will need to do alot of finish work as there are areas on this already that need some help. If you want to create large pieces for a costume setup then buy an Ultimaker kit and build it yourself. That way you will not only have an awesome printer with a super cool slicer program called Cura and an 8x8x8 build space, but you will know how to fix it when parts wear out. It is not intended for ABS use, but for costume level you could do fine with PLA plastic. I use the Afinia H-series printer which is a very accurate and ABS ready printer with a 5x5x5 build space, so I'm pretty limited when it comes to printing larger pieces whole. However, you can weld these ABS together and they are very strong, as if one piece. PLA will have a much harder time in welding together and having rigidity for larger builds.

I don't intend to give out the files for this boot just yet, because I don't know where it will go and if it can monetize in the near future. Save up for a printer and study some about what you could do with PLA and if it is a good material for your projects perhaps.

Damn this makes me wanna cry! :D

Cmon now, no crying necessary... lol. I believe its only a matter of time before we all have our own iron man prototypes. I'm not sure how 3D printing will change everyone else's lives, but for us Iron Man fans... well, we're going to have prototype suits. ;)

IMAG0698edit.jpgIMAG0699edit.jpg

Here is the updated prints from today in the mid boot and the ankle joint positions above. Notice nothing is fixed up or even glued yet, just parts right off the printer.

Last edited:
I know 3d printing costs much, and was probably wondering, if in some time you're gonna make copies and sell 'em? To get back the costs of course?

I know 3d printing costs much, and was probably wondering, if in some time you're gonna make copies and sell 'em? To get back the costs of course?

Yea, that would be something cool to do for just the shell. What you see with my printing is just some of what the whole project entails. The electronics, robotics, computer, and software engineers have their own world to cover for this project, so if I was going to sell anything it would most likely be limited to the printed shell of armor as you see now, but I have to work with the team on what we would be willing to sell. Our goals are different than going into production at the moment, and more focused on sponsorship funding to create the entire prototype suit.

Update pics and a look at my little workstation in the garage:

IMAG0700.jpg
IMAG0701.jpg
IMAG0702.jpg
IMAG0706.jpg
IMAG0703.jpg

So you know I'm not ordering parts and just saying I printed them lol.

Had my first jam half way on the first piece of the calf, cleaned out the head and printing again. Here is the update on the boot prints. Also, we were able to get a piece cut out of aluminum on the big CNC machine. Sweeet!

IMAG0708.jpgIMAG0710.jpgIMAG0707.jpg

do you have to sand those pieces and just wondering if youre doing a full suit and how much the files will be... thanks
im getting a 3d printer so im curious?

do you have to sand those pieces and just wondering if youre doing a full suit and how much the files will be... thanks
im getting a 3d printer so im curious?

Yes, there will be filling in and priming and sanding for sure. You could paint right on it but you will see the ridges on the layers of printing. I don't know if I would suggest sanding the print without applying a filler just because the sidewalls are not actually very thick as it is. It is strong enough to walk around in but for painting it is definitely better to cover this with something beforehand. The full suit will take quite a while as we are working on the exoskeleton next, along with the left gauntlet and helmet for their electronics integration. We need sponsors to complete the whole suit in a reasonable amount of time though, which is what I'm hoping for soon!

Yes, there will be filling in and priming and sanding for sure. You could paint right on it but you will see the ridges on the layers of printing. I don't know if I would suggest sanding the print without applying a filler just because the sidewalls are not actually very thick as it is. It is strong enough to walk around in but for painting it is definitely better to cover this with something beforehand. The full suit will take quite a while as we are working on the exoskeleton next, along with the left gauntlet and helmet for their electronics integration. We need sponsors to complete the whole suit in a reasonable amount of time though, which is what I'm hoping for soon!

Could these sponsors be anyone?

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back