Doc's foam/fiberglass work + Mark 42 painted pieces

Re: foam with rondo+ finally satisfied with abs with suttle weathering caused by bore

awesome work doc! I'm still fairly new at this. but between You, stealth, darkside, and numerous guys on this forum, one can make a hell of a costume using various methods. I was wondering if you use a specific amount of resin, bondo and hardener? ex> 1/2 cup of each and a 2 inch strip of hardener? And are you applying it with the provided plastic spatula? thanks again

Ive worked with filler a long time that I just Eyeball it. Put amount I think I'll need for section but that sounds about right, Take a look at sniggles comment above and thats exactly how I do it. The bondo I buy doesnt come wit a spatula...lucky lol Iuse a squeggee like plastic for covering big areas and old baseball cards for smoothin

hey doccc !!! what if i already sealed my parts with pva glue :/ like i made a new process that close completely the pores its 6 diluted layes and 1 straight layer ? can u make a test with that one ? if it doesnt work will i need to spray mod podge over the pva ??
thanks my friend !!

Are ya asking if I can test it? then answer is no but you can:behavelol Good idea omarbou, If ya think that the foam pores are sealed, to me sounds like ya sealed it good who knows ya may stumble on somthin better, :)

@andy:
From what I've gathered from his past comments in this thread, he said he mixed the bondo/resin 50-50, then added hardener until the mix was a nice pink color
Red = too much hardener
Grey = not enough hardener

I hope that's the answer you were looking for :)

I've been following that method myself and the mix has come out great

Couldnt of put It better myself. Im a copy n paste yr comment next time someone asks how to :thumbsup

Re: foam with rondo+ abs and weathering

Great Job docholiday78, This build just gets better! and better! I know for me myself & people who get to witness this will be amazed at the end result? and when you post some full suit pics! You're doing a fantastic job keep up the good work.... Delray

Re: Ironman Mark VII coated with rondo

sorry...found my answer. I like the new finishing technique for more flexible parts. I can't wait to get to the point of finishing.

Hey Doc your 7 step method worked. I just did one pc to test it out, but the finish is smooth and did not have port holes from the foam. Thanks again bro! here is a pic of the results. I will be posting pics of my suit once I paint the whole suit.

photoersdfsd.jpg

Re: foam with rondo+ finally satisfied with abs with weathering caused by bore

After tons of tries finally got the side abs the way I wanted. The mid abs is the same one from tutorial. Didnt feel like building more pieces I guess had no motivation or just got lazy:sleep lol so I did some suttle weathering Which I think came out pretty cool. I didnt want to go overboard. Still debating on adding battle damage so we'll see. Took some pics to show you guys and yes its flexible :love, next up the underwear I mean cod

Looking good!

Re: foam with rondo+ finally satisfied with abs with weathering caused by bore

Great Job docholiday78, This build just gets better! and better! I know for me myself & people who get to witness this will be amazed at the end result? and when you post some full suit pics! You're doing a fantastic job keep up the good work.... Delray

Thanks Blackdynamo! :D
sorry...found my answer. I like the new finishing technique for more flexible parts. I can't wait to get to the point of finishing.

Thanks and I cant wait either

Hey Doc your 7 step method worked. I just did one pc to test it out, but the finish is smooth and did not have port holes from the foam. Thanks again bro! here is a pic of the results. I will be posting pics of my suit once I paint the whole suit.

photoersdfsd.jpg

Right on! your paint job looks awesome! glad it worked out for ya and looking forward to seeing your whole suit :)

Looking good!

Thanks mizuno! :D

Wow! This thread never ceases to amaze. So much so that I'm starting my own suit using this technique.

Hey, hey guys!
Rondo'ed my helmet over the weekend, using Doc's method.
It went alright, but I'd thought I'd throw some tips out here.
Please correct me/add to it, if I'm wrong, Doc!

PLEASE, please -- to any of you thinking of using Rondo on your foam -- learn from my newbie mistakes:

- A little bit of Rondo goes a long way.
We poured a good third of the Bondo can into our first mix and ended up wasting ALOT.

- Use THIN coats!
This helps with sanding immensely.

- Use something to smooth the Rondo to make it even, as you go along.
In his thread, DocHoliday mentioned using a squeegie or some sort and old baseball cards.

- Work hastily, but with precision.
Rondo is already alot of sanding, but don't make it tougher on yourself.
If the Rondo mix starts to clump up at all, just STOP applying it.
We saw the Rondo starting to clump and kept going, assuming we would sand it out. --- It is an extremely tough job to do so. You could save yourself hours of sanding/dremeling if you just stop, mix up some new Rondo, then start again.

This is all a learning process --- there are going to be mistakes on your first time, but I wanted to throw these things out there, so hopefully I can help minimize some issues I had myself...

If anyone wants to see my own result, a link to my thread is in my sig.

Last edited:

Hey, hey guys!

PLEASE, please -- to any of you thinking of using Rondo on your foam -- learn from my newbie mistakes:

We poured a good third of the Bondo can into our first mix and ended up wasting ALOT.

- Use THIN coats!

In his thread, DocHoliday mentioned using a squeegie or some sort and old baseball cards.

We saw the Rondo starting to clump and kept going, assuming we would sand it out. --- It is an extremely tough job to do so. You could save yourself hours of sanding/dremeling if you just stop, mix up some new Rondo, then start again.

This is all a learning process --- there are going to be mistakes on your first time, but I wanted to throw these things out there, so hopefully I can help minimize some issues I had myself...

This Is why I suggested to practice on a scrap piece to see how rondo works. You are right by sayin thin coats but your supposed to use a cheap throw away paint brush to put it on. Ive been reading alot of people sayin its hard to sand and its due to the type of bondo. It has to be lightweight body filler plus when putting on with brush ya cover the section then do one brush stroke and let rondo self level n do not I repeat DO NOT keep goin over it then it will stop the self leveling process and ofcourse youll have alot of sanding. So fight yr urges to try to get it smoother and leave it alone. For beginners dont try to cover a huge area start with small amounts for small section. Do not mix a huge amount of bondo and resin start with small amount till ya understand how it works. Thats why I came up with easier method for people having trouble with rondo. With my other 7 step method thats easier if ya do all seams right (unlike myself) lol will have nice finish.

I was using the lightweight body filler as suggested earlier, but I screwed up the application of the Rondo, itself D:
Me and a buddy mixed up a big batch and slathered that stuff on, sloppily, without smoothing --- thinking that we could sand out any imperfections...
That's true to an extent, but our poor Rondoing job left divots and uneven spots that just would not come out with any amount of sanding/dremeling

I'm seeing that Rondo can be a pain in the behind, but if patient and given enough work, it produces amazing result on foam
I'll be sure to apply the things I learned to my next attempt

thanks for the tutorials and tips -- I wouldn't have gotten this far without your valuable information!

Hey, hey guys!

- Use THIN coats!

I was using the lightweight body filler as suggested earlier, but I screwed up the application of the Rondo, itself D:
Me and a buddy mixed up a big batch and slathered that stuff on, sloppily, without smoothing --- thinking that we could sand out any imperfections...
That's true to an extent, but our poor Rondoing job left divots and uneven spots that just would not come out with any amount of sanding/dremeling

I'm seeing that Rondo can be a pain in the behind, but if patient and given enough work, it produces amazing result on foam
I'll be sure to apply the things I learned to my next attempt

thanks for the tutorials and tips -- I wouldn't have gotten this far without your valuable information!

lol ive tried that too but hey thats how you learn....if ya have any other questions dont hesitate to ask. if I can help to make it easier let me know ill be glad to help :)

Anxious to see where you're at all together! You've been spending a lot of time helping all of us with our process, it'll be great to see how far into the build you've gotten and how its all looking! This thread is immensely helpful by the way, thank you for being so thorough!!

Question: is it suppossed to be specifically the triple thick clear glaze at the end of the process that makes it flexable. Followed every step so far with at least 3 coats of everything except the paint (one so far). I was just looking at the bicep while taking the tape off that I had put on for the gold and the red cracks if I squeeze it.

Used hair dryer for heat seal
using 3 mm foamies from hobby lobby
Modpodge matte
Plastidip
adhesive promoter 'duplicolor'
filler primer 'duplicolor'
Dark Cherry metallic 'duplicolor'
Sunburst Gold metallic 'duplicolor'

Im not upset and I realize results may vary. Just askin

Anxious to see where you're at all together! You've been spending a lot of time helping all of us with our process, it'll be great to see how far into the build you've gotten and how its all looking! This thread is immensely helpful by the way, thank you for being so thorough!!

Thanks and I don't mind helping you guys out. I should have an update today I finally have a day off

Question: is it suppossed to be specifically the triple thick clear glaze at the end of the process that makes it flexable. Followed every step so far with at least 3 coats of everything except the paint (one so far). I was just looking at the bicep while taking the tape off that I had put on for the gold and the red cracks if I squeeze it.

Used hair dryer for heat seal
using 3 mm foamies from hobby lobby
Modpodge matte
Plastidip
adhesive promoter 'duplicolor'
filler primer 'duplicolor'
Dark Cherry metallic 'duplicolor'
Sunburst Gold metallic 'duplicolor'

Im not upset and I realize results may vary. Just askin

Is The triple thick one of the steps? Theres your answer.., Thats Why i said over n over to follow exactly in the beginning of the steps. I said with some steps together wont work but everything together works. This is a description of the glaze if ya google it "One coat equals three coats of many other clear aerosols. The special flexible formula won't crack and can be used on many types of materials wood plaster, bisque, metal, plastic and paper." If it didnt need it I wouldnt of put it in there. The only part i said was optional is wet sanding it and waxin that part can be skippd. I dnt have one single crack n my whole waist section has to bend and pulled alot cuz attached with velcro

Last edited:

Srry no updates just alot of craps been happining, like my work truck broke down n had to fix it this weekend. :angry And I think I need to take a break for a little bit to get that fire back to doing it cuz right now no motivation,short fuse n short on funds. my stupid truck cleand me out, srry guys ...,:confused

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back