Foam Master Chief for my 10 year old

RussellSculpts

I was so inspired by IronManiacs foam build iron man suit that I decided to go for it myself by making a master chief Halo costume for my son for Halloween. I'm using the same camping foam he used and I gotta say it is a lot of fun. Easy to shape and hot glues together well. It takes some thinking to visualize the shapes and how to cut/fold the flat foam to make them. Trial and error but when it works it looks great. I work with the natural roll of the foam to inhance to shapes. Anyway, here's what I got so far. Still to make are the arms and gloves and shoes. I was going to just buy a cheap motocross helmet and paint it but now I think I may attempt to make it out of the foam. Whatcha think?
DSC04188.jpg

DSC04191.jpg

DSC04168.jpg

DSC04169.jpg

DSC04170.jpg

That is EPIC! I wish I had a cool costume like that when I was younger!

However I wouldn't call it a "Master" Cheif suit, maybe a "Midget" Chief...I'm playing man!
The calves and thighs look great. Do you have any close-up shots of those? I'd like to take a look at the details.

That's a nice project. Looks good man. If it helps I have a master chief helm for sale in the junkyard. Let me know if you could use it.

This is all kinds of cool-o-lichious. You are a good dad.

How well does he walk in that?

How well does the blue matt take paint?

I used this foam to make my son's Jango Fett last year, but you're taking it to a whole new level. What kind of hot glue are you using? Just regular craft clue? How do you plan on painting it? That was the tough part for me. I spray primed it, and spray painted mine, and the paint wore of really easy.

yup.this kind of foam is not an easy one to paint. so we're curious how you're going to paint it.:)

Well I haven't tried painting it yet. Others I've seen doing builds like this are using flexbond primer? hopefully that'll work.

I am using a high temp glue gun and it doesn't melt the foam and it holds great.

It is slightly bulky on my son and it rubs on his thighs, hopefully it won't deter him from wearing it.

Well I haven't tried painting it yet. Others I've seen doing builds like this are using flexbond primer? hopefully that'll work.

I am using a high temp glue gun and it doesn't melt the foam and it holds great.

It is slightly bulky on my son and it rubs on his thighs, hopefully it won't deter him from wearing it.

Just tell him to walk like he's riding a horse :lol

But great work none the less.

Nicely done. I like the stepping idea...never thought of it.

I also found paint wore off my son's camping mat Boba Fett gauntlets. I tried several coats of plasti-dip and then painted over it. Only slightly more effective.

As for your idea to use flexbond...is that the pavement sealer? Sort of a paintable caulk in a gallon paint can? I have seen a type of flexbond used on LP siding to help "seal" the drip edge from sucking up moisture and expanding.... wondering if that is what you mean.

Looking forward to your progress. Again thanks for sharing.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back