Hello RPF community! This is my first post and my first movie costume build using foam. I saw the trailers for Elysium a few months ago and decided(despite travel and work) to make the HULC(Human Universal Load Carrier) or powered exoskeleton that Matt Damon wears. I started work on it, but couldn't finish in time for the movie's premiere, but I loved the film and it reinspired me to finish it despite my hectic Summer.
I'm using the 0.5" EVA foam puzzle-piece "Gold's Gym" equipment mats from Walmart for $20. I'm using a wood-burning wand with an Exacto-blade attachment(as well as others for shaping). Hot glue binds the pieces. I'm using two sizes of PVC to approximate the pistons.
That picture shows the chest piece and the upper arm/shoulder segments linked with the PVC pistons(which will get a paint treatment later). The white nylon straps make a harness I can wear under a gray shirt to keep the whole thing in place.
That one shows the beginning of the forearm bracers
Here's the completed forearms:
That's all the progress I've made thus far. I'm attaching the bracers to the upper arm pistons today. Tomorrow I begin the spine and head piece. I'll be adding socket-head cap screws to each foam piece for detail along with wires and lights for the head. More pictures to come.
Is anyone else making one of these?
PROGRESS UPDATE: (8-14-13)
It was more problematic linking the forearm bracers to the upper arm sections than I first expected, but once I reinforced the foam with black coat hanger wire it supported itself nicely.
Here's a shot of the underside with the completed arms
That shows the attached nylon harness and the elbow straps.
I put the pieces on to demonstrate the working connections and I'm wearing the harness over my shirt to show its fitting as well. I will conceal the elbow straps under gauze wrapping when the whole thing is finished.
Try to ignore the stray pistons. I will connect them to the shoulder blades later.
Thanks again for the support everyone! You guys are awesome.
Before I could begin the spinal section or shoulder blades, I had to construct a duct tape dummy to hold my work:
I know it looks crude, but it's my first. :-)
This plus my day job set back my progress a little. I did start painting and reconstructing new pistons (because I just wasn't happy with the old ones):
I've nearly finished the head piece:
The upcoming wires and mount covers for them will conceal the globulous hot-glue on the edges and I'll install a blue LED on the com-port for the right side of my head.
Progress was slowed again because I'm remaking all the previous pistons, changing their mounting bolts, and reinforcing the foam where they connect. It's tedious.
I finally finished the head piece and cervical section:
I couldn't resist sticking it to my head again:
Here's a pic of the original for comparison
I still need to rig the blue LED+wire to the data port and ribbon cable on the right. I've been sick for the past two days so - delays delays delays, but I WILL start the spine and shoulders tomorrow.
I finished the shoulder blades:
I had to stop work on the spine section to fix some problems with a few pistons, bolster the harness a little, and begin replacing the bolts and stop nuts being used to attach the pieces to the harness with magnets. Thanks to Demolition for the magnet idea - "... then attach the armour through the shirt with earth magnets ..." Soooo much better than unscrewing bolts each time I need to make an adjustment. I'm feeling foolish for using bolts now.
I didn't realize there was a picture limit for each post, so I'm submitting updates through replies now. I'm getting with the program, finally.