DUNE Stillsuits

Ooo! Painful. :lol

Anyway, to raise the info content of this thread above zero :rolleyes I would point out that a suit of this type looks like it would be VERY difficult to make, and would require extensive customization and measurements of your particular body. The suit is form-fitting, and has all those bulbous pouches and specific details. I doubt you would get a satisfying replica, without having it made by a local seamstress, with many visits for measuring, fitting and adjustments.

(actually it may be even worse than that... I see the suits were built over body casts of the actors. So your costumer will have to be very very good to pull this off, I think. )

Kropserkel could manage it perhaps... :unsure

Last edited:
Not sure what that means,
Thought it was a cool site with some great photos i have never seen before. SO sorry that you thought the info there was worth less than zero.

Usul was Paul's secret name it means the strength at the base of the pillar.

I always loved that movie! perhaps one could build a suit using some underarmor as a base....

Usul: the strength that is the base of the pillar.

Sietch name of Paul Muad'Dib, son of Duke Leto Atreides and The Bene Gesserit Lady Jessica, Brother to Alia of the Knife, husband of Princess Irulan father of Ghanima and Leto II, the God Emperor.

Relax. Great find. I wasn't even aware that Peter Berg was getting anywhere with his production of Dune.

Never say never. I am sure that people thought the second Death Star was too difficult a prop to attempt.
Cheers,

JM

Last edited:
Not sure what that means,
Thought it was a cool site with some great photos i have never seen before. SO sorry that you thought the info there was worth less than zero.

I think you have misunderstood me! :$

What I meant was that my own post had added nothing, and well, Kathy Pillsbury will never deliver if the threads about her are to be believed, so I wanted to contribute some useful ideas. Your link to the site was quite valuable! :)

"Usul" was just an attempt at a joke... one of Paul's names in the book/film. Paul shows an unexpected familiarity with the stillsuit despite never having seen or worn one before.

Anyway carry on, nothing to see here. :D

- k

I've made two (Lynch-version) replicas using knit sweatsuits from the thrift store..drew the pattern right on the suit with a marker..opened the arm & leg seams & appliqued the (polyfiber-filled) 'catch-pockets' with the machine and sewed the arms & legs to fit tighter. I made the straps from ribbon and buckles & then carefully applied the "water tubes" with a hot glue gun. I had to make the collar as a separate piece. I used cheap canvas slip-on 'dock' shoes and lengthend the legs to go over the tops. Then coated the entire suit with black coloured latex and after it dried, then powdered it down with cinnamon! Whole thing was very cheap to make.
I still haven't scanned the old pix..one of these days, I'll go scrounge them up..

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back