Doctor Who - New 8th Doctor Costume/Sonic

I'll sign, along with a petition to keep the 8th Doctor as he was in the "movie", because this new costume sucks, and I refuse to call that thing a sonic screwdriver... would it even fit in his pockets?:lol

So I emailed Weta about selling copies of the screwdriver and it turns out it was just one guy who made it. Here is the email I got back:

Sorry, this was just something a Weta Workshop technician made privately for Paul as a fan, which he had at the Armageddon Expo in Auckland. I'm afraid I don't have any pictures, and no we will not be re-producing it.

I'll wait to see what the complete outfit is before I pass final judgement. The big question is Why? Will we be seeing it soon?...

The general consensus is that it is just for the next photo shoot for the covers of Paul's BF line of audios. I would absolutely love to see McGann's incarnation show up in the new show or one of it's spin offs though.

Do we have anything other than broad generalizations to go on here? Because it looks to me that Paul's just wearing a knock-off Eccleston coat and brandishing the fan-made ss much like people have pics of ex-Docs like Sylvester McCoy wearing stripey scarves. In Sly's case, he was just having fun, not re-inventing the 7th Doctor's outfit. So do we have any real evidence that this get-up Paul's in is anything other than that? Not to be a party-pooper, but I just don't buy that this is canonical.

I like it, the coat is a nice precursor to the Eccleston coat, I sincerely hope to see Paul McGann show up in the series in some form, although at this point everything is purely speculation and finger crossing

i met paul on sunday at a convention in london and not only did he have his new sonic with him but he was kind enough to let me have a good look and a play with it.

i thought it was awesome. yes, very steampunk, yes very similar to the 11th. but i liked it. its the sort of sonic id want if i played the doctor.

paul was a really nice guy. sylvester mccoy and colin baker were there too. all so friendly and so upbeat. its refreshing to meet such legends who havent let it go to their heads!

havent seen this costume though.

further to my last post, i realised he is holding it in the picture of us. very blurred, but still might be of interest...
meandpaul.jpg

i met paul on sunday at a convention in london and not only did he have his new sonic with him but he was kind enough to let me have a good look and a play with it.

i thought it was awesome. yes, very steampunk, yes very similar to the 11th. but i liked it. its the sort of sonic id want if i played the doctor.

paul was a really nice guy. sylvester mccoy and colin baker were there too. all so friendly and so upbeat. its refreshing to meet such legends who havent let it go to their heads!

havent seen this costume though.

Do you have any specific info on the sonic. Are to gold parts metal or resin? Can you say how long the sonic is overall? Were there any found parts that you could identify?

-best

Dan

in all honesty i didnt manage to get much detail on the parts, but i noticed that the "wooden" strips on the handle were not wood. they appears to be some sort of plastic stained like wood.

the gold parts appeard to be metal but it lacked the weight one would expect so it could well be a cold cast that was well painted. there was intricate design work on the 11th doctor esqe sticky out bits (technical term) almost embossed. more of a texture than design actually. they also do not open or close. they are solid.

the two thing sthat struck me wer ethat the light up end was clear with a blue led underneath, and crystal shaped, as if there was a shard of crystal in the top of it. and the second thing was that the button appeard to be a ball bearing set in a ring, much like a blackberry trackball. visually i mean.

size... to be honest the girth was almost like a lightsabre hilt. maybe the same length too. in my hand it felt a little oversized for comfort. if i had to gues sid say it was the length of the 11th doctors when open. but much thicker circumference. maybe that was cos of the "wooden" strips though.

sorry i cant remember more details, but it was a long weekend (i was there with my friend as dealers, hence the abillity to hang about and talk to paul at length) by the time i met paul i was running on fumes as we'd been so busy trading! i did want to ask him if i could take pictures of it (to be honest thinking of you guys as well as myself) but i didnt feel like i should out of politness.

i found this on google though. photo is not mine. taken at a different convention. i can confirm it s the same one i held.

mcgannarmageddonexpojon.jpg

Last edited:
Like Davey, I was also in attendance at Collectormania London, where Mr. McGann was extremely generous with letting people hold and even photograph the prop.

Here's some of the details of the prop:
*About 9 inches in length.
*Appeared to be genuine wooden strips, but the brass-coloured portions are likely something along the plastic/resin variety.
*May contain the electronics from a Eccelston/Tennant Character Options Sonic Screwdriver. The emitter glowed blue, and featured at least one of the audio effects associated with those particular toys.
*As indicated in the photo, the emitter "crystal" is hexagonal, and I believe to be manufactured from clear resin.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back