Darkside501st's Iron Man Mk VII pepakura files - Password in First Post

Re: Darkside501st's Iron Man Mk VII pepakura files **New note in VIP section**

All VIP's will gain exclusive early passes for the ver.2 files :D really want them :) am i in darkside?

Hello everyone!

I'm new to the forums but i've been lurking in the shadows for quite some time and seeing those beautiful files by DarkSide (thank you really, you're amazing!!) i decided to start this journey,even if i know it will be a long and difficult road!

The first thing i wanted to do was the helmet as it seemed probably the hardest part and some days later i found myself with a completed helmet,even if far too big for my head (it's the red one in the pictures,because when i decided to make a new one i painted it right on the paper just to see the effect ahaha! it ended up warping a lot but who cares!! )

So i pepped the new helmet and it is now completed! what do you think about it?

In the mean time i also tried to pep zabana's hands but that file is still out of my league and so i think i'm going to use the foam templates with cardboard to still be able to resin it!

The back piece and thigh are the pieces that look more difficult to pep, so any advice?

Also just a quick couple of questions:

I really haven't got a lot of money (engineering student........) so i was looking for resin online and found a cheap one but in the description it says that it will change color (blue to green) once cured...as i don't have seen this type of resin around here,is that good or i should avoid it? it says it is ideal for manual stratification of glass fibre cloth so...

Also,what is the cheapest of all respirators that will protect me?

Thanks everyone in advance!!!

"Respirator" and "cheap" shouldn't be in the same sentence

@ MrTropical:

....umm.... N95 will protect from Nuclear Attacks (if i remember correctly)...

Just what are you going to be involved in, Bank Robbery? Chemical Warfare?

It all Depends on what you want to be Safe....FROM.

"Respirator" and "cheap" shouldn't be in the same sentence

Yeah i know, i'm just trying to get the best price that's all.

@ MrTropical:

....umm.... N95 will protect from Nuclear Attacks (if i remember correctly)...

Just what are you going to be involved in, Bank Robbery? Chemical Warfare?

It all Depends on what you want to be Safe....FROM.

Ahahahahha actually made me lol!
Nah, not planning any nuclear device (yet...) i just want a respirator to protect my lungs during resining/sanding!

A good and cheap one is the 3M 4251 halfmask, but it hasn't removable filters,so i was wondering is it worth it? I mean how long does it last in work time hours? (always of fiberglassing,not making bombs :cool )

Also what do you guys think of my work so far? :thumbsdown :thumbsup ?

You'll want a respiarator with removable filters for sure

Hi Darkside, If you are using 23 as your default scale for the armor, what scale do you use for the Sharkmark's helmet? I want to get the right proportion. thanks

You'll want a respiarator with removable filters for sure

Why is that?

The 3M 4251 is rated A1P2 just as the filters of a mask with removable filters and it's just a little more expensive than the filters alone...

How long does the filters last anyway,with normal use?

All VIP's will gain exclusive early passes for the ver.2 files :D really want them :) am i in darkside?

You know it man. With all your help on the version 1 files of course you are on the VIP list. It is posted on the opening post BTW. ;)

Hello everyone!

I'm new to the forums but i've been lurking in the shadows for quite some time and seeing those beautiful files by DarkSide (thank you really, you're amazing!!) i decided to start this journey,even if i know it will be a long and difficult road!

The first thing i wanted to do was the helmet as it seemed probably the hardest part and some days later i found myself with a completed helmet,even if far too big for my head (it's the red one in the pictures,because when i decided to make a new one i painted it right on the paper just to see the effect ahaha! it ended up warping a lot but who cares!! )

So i pepped the new helmet and it is now completed! what do you think about it?

In the mean time i also tried to pep zabana's hands but that file is still out of my league and so i think i'm going to use the foam templates with cardboard to still be able to resin it!

The back piece and thigh are the pieces that look more difficult to pep, so any advice?

Also just a quick couple of questions:

I really haven't got a lot of money (engineering student........) so i was looking for resin online and found a cheap one but in the description it says that it will change color (blue to green) once cured...as i don't have seen this type of resin around here,is that good or i should avoid it? it says it is ideal for manual stratification of glass fibre cloth so...

Also,what is the cheapest of all respirators that will protect me?

Thanks everyone in advance!!!

Hello and welcome to the RPF. Your helmet looks pretty good. I think you can pull off a suite for sure. The real challenge of pepping a suit is in the finishing stage.

I don't know about that resin... I have only used fiberglass resin for boat and auto body work. I haven't heard of any fiberglass resin that changes color like that. Usually if it is changing color it is a casting resin. This has been used as an alternative to fiberglass resin but is considered to not be as strong as fiberglass resin.

It looks like you have already found a respirator. In case you are curious I use this one:
3M 7501 7500 Series Professional Half Facepiece Respirator (Small) - Amazon.com

Hi Darkside, If you are using 23 as your default scale for the armor, what scale do you use for the Sharkmark's helmet? I want to get the right proportion. thanks

I haven't built the helmet yet but a scale of 94-95 should work for my on the helmet. Try that scale on the tester file with some paper and see how it works.

Hey Guys. This is my first post…and this is what I've done so far working from Darkside's files. I'm working on the ab section now. Still trying to wrap my head around them completely. Gonna try and connect them with elastic strips for mobility. I'll share how it turns out. It may still be awhile before anything is posted. These files are incredible. Thank you again Darkside. Thinking about the effort and time that went into these is overwhelming. Thanks to all contributers on this forum for helping me find a new hobby too! i did use the neck file from dancin_fool that was edited by stealth and revised by rebo tho. i'm going to make minor adjustments to it later. I am just learning, as most of us here, and any criticisms or pointers are more than welcome.

so is there a brace/collarplace/neck file for the mark 7 or people freehanding/using mark 6?

Why is that?

The 3M 4251 is rated A1P2 just as the filters of a mask with removable filters and it's just a little more expensive than the filters alone...

How long does the filters last anyway,with normal use?
Your filters are going to get filled to the brim with super fine dust from the resin, bondo, paint, and other materials as you're building. The lifetime of a set of filters kind of depends on your work environment; the more dusty the air the more material is going to get caught in the filters.

But seriously don't cheap out. A good respirator is cheaper than a new pair of lungs, as the saying goes.

Either my helmet is too big.... or my chest & back are too small.
Damn I have to redo the hard parts.
Does anybody has the pepakura file for neck? thx

Hello and welcome to the RPF. Your helmet looks pretty good. I think you can pull off a suite for sure. The real challenge of pepping a suit is in the finishing stage.

I don't know about that resin... I have only used fiberglass resin for boat and auto body work. I haven't heard of any fiberglass resin that changes color like that. Usually if it is changing color it is a casting resin. This has been used as an alternative to fiberglass resin but is considered to not be as strong as fiberglass resin.

It looks like you have already found a respirator. In case you are curious I use this one:
3M 7501 7500 Series Professional Half Facepiece Respirator (Small) - Amazon.com

Thank you Dark! :) And really thank you again for your work and effort!
I will probably stick to a more common resin,because as far as i've looked around nobody used anything similar,so it would just be a bet for me... and also thanks for the link i'll look for something similar!

BTW, could you please send me the password for your files? I'm planning on doing some measurements and maybe some small modifications (probably not to the model but on the building/assembling stage) but i need to open it in designer for measurement,scaling and such! Do you want me to PM you?

Your filters are going to get filled to the brim with super fine dust from the resin, bondo, paint, and other materials as you're building. The lifetime of a set of filters kind of depends on your work environment; the more dusty the air the more material is going to get caught in the filters.

But seriously don't cheap out. A good respirator is cheaper than a new pair of lungs, as the saying goes.

Thanks for the explanation! I didn't want to go "cheap" on safety,because i know just how much that stuff can be bad for my health, i was just trying to save a few bucks but at the same time buying something which will really protect my lungs! My question was more like "does anybody know a good online store or something" rather than "i want to go cheap on my health" :)

Anyway, thank you both again!

I'm planning on using Dancin_Fool's neck seal you can find it here in the first post
http://www.therpf.com/f24/dancinfools-iron-man-mark-iii-pep-files-101543/

For the scaling of the helmet i suggest (as a noob myself) to measure your ear-to-ear distance and then scaling the width parameter (you can see it in the right lower corner of both viewer and designer). Remember to add some space (at least 10 mm) to your measurement because in SharkMark's (amazing) file the ear is not the extreme point of width and you will also have to calculate some space for internal fiberglass and padding. If you have designer 3.1.0 follow the method Dark posted a few posts ago ( measuring internal ear-to-ear distance inside the helmet) and you will probably ending up with a better fit.

Last edited:

Hey Guys. This is my first post…and this is what I've done so far working from Darkside's files. I'm working on the ab section now. Still trying to wrap my head around them completely. Gonna try and connect them with elastic strips for mobility. I'll share how it turns out. It may still be awhile before anything is posted. These files are incredible. Thank you again Darkside. Thinking about the effort and time that went into these is overwhelming. Thanks to all contributers on this forum for helping me find a new hobby too! i did use the neck file from dancin_fool that was edited by stealth and revised by rebo tho. i'm going to make minor adjustments to it later. I am just learning, as most of us here, and any criticisms or pointers are more than welcome.

Thanks, your progress so far is really good. I can't wait to see more. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. The abs are rather difficult to explain though. Did you see the video that was posted by DasHHat?

so is there a brace/collarplace/neck file for the mark 7 or people freehanding/using mark 6?

This part is easy enough to freehand, I will include it in the V2 files though.

Helmets on our costumes do look a little bigger than the movie CGI helmet cause ours have to fit over our heads. Your helmet should fit snugly on your head. If you show us some pictures then we might be able to judge the ratio.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, I want to thank Malnodnarb for being a big supporter of my work and for his contributions to this project. ;) It is much appreciated. Your name has been added to the VIP section and you will receive early access to the V2 files.

Last edited:

Just checked his video out. He was thinking what I was thinking...but he did it better! Haha. Gonna try that and see what happens. Thanks for the tip Darkside.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back