Daft Punk Guy-Manuel Helmet Build

I made more progress this weekend though nothing worthy of photos. I believe the shape of the dome is complete, now I need to prime and sand, then add the borders that define the edges of the dome. In a ridiculous twist of fate, I'm held up with progress because I can't buy spray paint in the city of Chicago, and I couldn't get out to the suburbs to buy some because of the blizzard burying my car.
Still, some observations thus far:

- Sanding two materials of two different hardnesses is tricky. Apoxie and bondo aren't the same, so making them have the same curve is a challenge.

- My brother builds architectural models and told me to seal MDF before priming it because it tends to soak up solvent and not dry properly, requiring many more coats.

- Bondo is awesome.

- The oscillating sander not only made shaping go a lot faster, but also helped form the curves. You'd think using something flat to make something round wouldn't be that easy.

- I'm probably going to mold with rebound 25 and plastipaste, though I have no idea how much silicone I need nor how many coats I need.

- Can you slush cast multiple "coats" or should you just dump in a large amount of resin? Are there advantages to coats?

- Are there any advantages to forming the dome out of acrylic instead of petg?

I have no idea how much silicone I need nor how many coats I need.

At least 1/3 gallon. Also don't forget silicone thickener and thinner.

Can you slush cast multiple "coats" or should you just dump in a large amount of resin? Are there advantages to coats?

Multiples. One coat will flash in a very thick lump unless you have a rotocasting machine. Multiples are easier to control and create uniform thickness with.

Are there any advantages to forming the dome out of acrylic instead of petg?

Acrylic is easier to find pre-tinted, but is harder to form and harder to cut. It can also absorb moisture, so it should be baked before forming to remove this. PETG is cheaper, easier to cut, and more forgiving to form but near impossible to get pre-tinted.

Some people have mentioned PETG is easy to dye, but I've not tried it.

Volpin -
Thanks for such useful advice! I'm leaning toward PETG anyway because it seemed much easier to work with from my research, and the window tint seemed pretty straight forward. As for casting, I appreciate any and all input since I've never done it before. I've been doing a lot of research and the videos posted by Smooth-On are helping too.

Primer should be arriving soon via UPS. It has taken over a week for me to get my hands on spray paint of any kind - it's starting to feel like a controlled substance!

And on the subject of paint...

Since this is a Tron version, I think I'm going to paint it silver and then do a gloss coat, as the Tron version is right in between paint and chrome. The back plates are going to be matte gray, which seems consistant with the behind the scenes video.

Well you should look intro "painting" silver. Its extremely hard and you need to find brand that has a right kind of silver for the job.

Since you be doing a gloss coat, why not pick a nice gray?

Nordvind - Thanks!

The finish I was referring to:

Definitely not chromed, so I'll find a good quality silver paint and either spray or airbrush it. I also think this is the first Guy-Man visor that is attached from the inside of the helmet instead of the outside.

daft-punk-guy-helmet-final-p-16-tron-p-20-daft-tron-helmets.jpg-41769d1293816391

shadowofthehelmet.jpg

Last edited:
It could be chromed...just with a matte clearcoat over it to give it that eggshell look.

Look to Masked Rider's first Iron Man helmet to see the type of reflection you can get off of a helmet using that technique. (He used it on at least one of his faceplates)

-Nick

It could be chromed...just with a matte clearcoat over it to give it that eggshell look.

Look to Masked Rider's first Iron Man helmet to see the type of reflection you can get off of a helmet using that technique. (He used it on at least one of his faceplates)

-Nick

As much as I agree, there's most likely a cheaper way to replicate this.

Finally got the primer, and after working a 12 hour day I still managed to get a few coats on. Now I can finally see the shape instead of the layers of patching!
Now it's time to fill in the holes before making the raised portions. Hopefully I'll have time this weekend!

I also had one part of the MDF substructure emerge, which I'll probably just drill out and re-bondo.

5432883212_c1201f6406.jpg

5432883336_dc02071bb9.jpg

5432883488_305f591653.jpg

Very cool work man. I too credit Mr. Volpin with inspiration on starting a Red Hood helmet soon. I'm following your thread with interest.

Jesse

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back