Assassin's Creed Brotherhood Ezio Auditore - Version 2 (PIC HEAVY - COMPLETE)

Athanasios

Hey everyone, how's it going?

In early April I completed my first serious costume. Ezio Auditore from Assassin's Creed in time for a Greek convention nearby. However I found out about the competition they were hosting very late, and as such I had barely two weeks to finish around 50% of the work. As a result, though it came out very nice overall, it's wasn't accurate. Moreover, I had originally designed it to be merely based on Ezio, NOT a replica costume. It sort of morphed into that later in the game, as it were.

You can find that build over here: Old Ezio. (It's completed.)

Anyway I therefore decided that I would remake my outfit, but this time make is accurate as I possibly can. From the outset. So, with that in mind, I began my second major build. Ezio version 2. I've been posting lots of progress work and updates on my facebook page (www.facebook.com/thanatosindustries), but I decided it was about time I also posted some updates here on the RPF for all you fine people.

EDIT: Finished the build! More pics at the end.

attachment.jpg

In any case, let's get to it. I don't know if i'll be able to post everything I've done so far today, but we'll see. In any case I'll keep updating this with my progress.

This is the goal:

Ezio Turnaround Rondelle.jpg

I'll start with the armor, because out of everything, that's probably the closest to completion.

THE VAMBRACE

The vambrace was one of the more recent builds, but it's completely finished, so I'll start with that. Here's the final result:

Vambrace_Finished 10 - Copy.JPG

To make the vambrace I first drew up some patterns. On paper, testing it on my arm, back to paper, etc. until I had all the pieces ready.

Vambrace 1.JPGVambrace 2.JPG

I put the four pieces on top of each other there so I could have an idea of the final proportions. At the back there it gets extremely thick, with 4 layers of leather. 3mm vegetable-tanned oiled cowhide for the second and fourth layers (from the bottom) and 2mm for the other two layers.

Once I had my pieces ready I began to carve the designs on them. First I marked out the pattern on the leather with a stylus, and then I cut out all the lines with a swivel knife. Once the lines were ready I used a beveler to stamp out the design and tool the leather.

Vambrace 4.JPGVambrace 6.JPG

The one side there took me over an hour to carve and tool.

When I finished the two side designs, I also carved out the front Assassin logo:

Vambrace 15.JPG

I dyed all the pieces brown and began to hand-stitch them together, starting the with upper two layers.

Vambrace 22.JPGVambrace 16.JPGVambrace 20.JPGVambrace 21.JPG

Then I prepared the cloth section, stitching the design into a piece of red fabric.

Vambrace 26.JPG

And I glued it onto leather piece and then had a friend of mine stitch it around for me (my sewing machine can't handle leather as thick and tough as this, and machines specifically suited for stitching leather cost over 700$).

Vambrace 30.JPG

I stitched the layers together

Vambrace 32.JPG

And then did the same with the bottom layer. I made the fabric detail parts, and then I glued/stitched it to the leather. Once I did that I was able to stitch the almost zipper-like pattern the vambrace has down the sides:

Vambrace 38.JPG

The it was time to paint! Needless to say, this step took forever.

Vambrace 41.JPGVambrace 42.JPG

Once the painting was done everything was ready to be put together. By which I mean I would attach everything with an extremely overly-complex strap system. I don't have any pictures of this stage, because I was so intent on trying to figure out what the hell was going on with those straps I completely forgot to take pictures. But here's the finished strap system. It like starts from one side, loops are multiple times, connects to another strap which itself loops around and then attaches to the other side.... anyway. It's complicated. We'll leave it at that.

Vambrace 44.JPG

Vambrace_Finished 12.JPG

Next I'll talk about the spaulders. Specifically the left shoulder, since the right one isn't finished yet.

Vambrace 1.JPG

Vambrace 2.JPG

Vambrace 3.JPG

Vambrace 6.JPG

Vambrace 15.JPG

Vambrace 16.JPG

Vambrace 17.JPG

Vambrace 21.JPG

Vambrace 22.JPG

Vambrace 24.JPG

Vambrace 4.JPG

Vambrace 4.JPG

Vambrace 6.JPG

Vambrace_Finished 10 - Copy.JPG

Vambrace 20.JPG

Vambrace 26.JPG

Vambrace 30.JPG

Vambrace 32.JPG

Vambrace 38.JPG

Vambrace 41.JPG

Vambrace 42.JPG

Vambrace 44.JPG

Vambrace_Finished 12.JPG

attachment.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood Ezio Auditore - Version 2

Beautiful tooling. I love the way the textures all work together to make such a beautifully detailed whole.

For the left spaulder I decided I'd use what I'd made for the previous costume and just add the small shoulder piece. So, using it as a base, I drew up the pattern and began cutting out the pieces.

Patterns_1.JPG

Again I used the swivel knife to carve out the designs, and you can see it in the pictures below. I used a beveler to tool the leather and a burnisher for all the edges, to make them smooth.

Shoulder_Small_15.JPGShoulder_Small_17.JPGShoulder_Small_19.JPG

Here are all three pieces carved, tooled, and ready for dying. The top piece is light because I used a different, thinner cowhide leather. And it wasn't oiled; the oil darkens the leather.

Shoulder_Small_24.JPG

I dyed all three pieces and then painted them, using a tiny paintbrush and a bottle of silver leather paint. Once I finished painting, I lightly brushed the pieces with orange dye to dull the color and blend it in a little bit.

Shoulder_Small_26.JPGShoulder_Small_27.JPGShoulder_Small_28.JPGShoulder_Small_29.JPG

Then I sewed the three main panels to each other and also added the details:

Shoulder_Small_33.JPGShoulder_Small_31.JPGShoulder_Small_32.JPG

Then I did the same thing as I did with the vambrace. I made the cloth design and glued/stitched it to a leather piece underneath.

In order to hide how it would attach to the bottom spaulder, I decided to use snaps. Again to completely hide everything I attached them to the bottom layer and then glued and hand stitched the bottom layer to the upper three layers. I attached snaps to the spaulder as well, and the whole thing was complete.

Vambrace 33.JPGVambrace 34.JPGVambrace 35.JPG

I don't seem to have pictures of the final piece, though. :p Anyway, you get the idea. There's basically silver stitching all along the edge of the brown panels. It fits perfectly on the spaulder, and I can easily take it off if needed.

- - - Updated - - -

Beautiful tooling. I love the way the textures all work together to make such a beautifully detailed whole.

Thank you very much, Jessica Young! :D It took me a long time, and I'm still learning, but I'm quite proud of the result.

RIGHT SHOULDER BELL

I haven't finished the second shoulder bell yet, but here's the progress so far. It started off much the same was as the previous shoulder, except it's bigger.

First I drew up some patterns. (That's my brother lazily reading in the second picture).

Drafting Patterns_2.JPGDrafting Patterns_1.JPGDrafting Patterns_3.JPG

Once I cut all three parts out I traced the design on the leather, cut it out with the swivel knife, and then beveled all the lines to create the raised points. Only one piece is dyed here, but eventually I dyed them all.

Big Shoulder_1.JPGBig Shoulder_2.JPGBig Shoulder_3.JPGBig Shoulder_4.JPGBig Shoulder_6.JPGBig Shoulder_7.JPG

Here are all three pieces together, fully carved:

Big Shoulder_9.JPG

I stitched them all together, and then slowly built up the detail lines by stitching a thin piece of leather around the carved areas.

Big Shoulder_14.JPGBig Shoulder_13.JPGBig Shoulder_12.JPGBig Shoulder_15.JPG

Then I painted it.

Big Shoulder_16_Painting Progress.jpgBig Shoulder_18.JPG

A test fit:

Big Shoulder_19.JPG

During the week I'll stitch the fabric trim and sew everything together, and then I'll work on the strap. (The strap underneath the shoulder in the above picture is actually from the previous armor piece. It's just resting on it now.)

That's about what I have armor-wise at the moment. Next post I'll talk about the pouches!

As before your leatherwork and attention to detail is amazing.
I thought your last costume was of of the best i've ever seen ( not just AC but just costumes, I like the worn look style it's right up my alley)
So I am extremely curious to see how this one is gonna turn out.

This is amazing attention to detail.

Thank you very much, Mistymills :) I'm trying, particularly for this costume, to be as accurate as possible.

As before your leatherwork and attention to detail is amazing.
I thought your last costume was of of the best i've ever seen ( not just AC but just costumes, I like the worn look style it's right up my alley)
So I am extremely curious to see how this one is gonna turn out.

Thank you! The worn look style is, for me, one of the most important parts of the costume. It's a crucial last step that goes from making it look like a costume, fresh out of the factory, to clothing. Something that's been lived in. I am, too! I'm about halfway through it with lots of work to do, but it's coming along nicely so far.

POUCHES

Okay, so on to the pouches! I'm really very happy with how these came out. Especially the third pouch. I'll tell you why farther down. Before I discuss method, here they are finished so you can get an idea of what I'm talking about:

All Pouches_2.JPGAll Pouches_1.JPGAll Pouches_3.JPG

In the background you can kind of see the old version I made.

Here's a side-by-side shot of the first two pouches. Almost no comparison, in quality and level of detail.

Pouches Old vs. New_1.JPG

First Pouch (Center Pouch):

The first pouch I made was the center pouch. I decided I would use the molded base, since there was no silver rim, and then sew on the upper layers.

Pouches - Main Pouch_3.JPG

Once it was dry I removed it from the mold. This is essentially going to be the base of the pouch. To this will be stitched a backplate, which will fold over and all form the flap.

Pouches - Main Pouch_1.JPGPouches - Main Pouch_2.JPG

Next I cut, dyed, and painted the piece that sits on top.

Pouches - Main Pouch_4.JPG

And I stitched it to the molded pouch piece (after I had also dyed it). To stitch thick leather, obviously you can't use a regular sewing machine, but neither can you simply pierce the leather with your needle as if you were stitching fabric. Instead, you have to use an awl to punch holes into the leather first before you can stitch it.

Pouches - Main Pouch_9.JPGPouches - Main Pouch_8.JPGPouches - Main Pouch_7.JPGPouches - Main Pouch_6.JPGPouches - Main Pouch_5.JPGPouches - Main Pouch_10.JPG

Next I cut out a piece for the buckle and stitched that on as well:

Pouches - Main Pouch_11.JPG

For the backplate I cut out the piece and then tooled the edges so I could paint them silver.

Pouches - Main Pouch_13.JPGPouches - Main Pouch_14.JPG

I didn't bother dying the edge because that'll be cut off once I stitch the two pieces together and trim the excess. Next I riveted the belt loops in the back. They don't have snaps, so they will be threaded through the belt. This also makes them more stable.

Pouches - Main Pouch_15.JPGPouches - Main Pouch_16.JPG

I glued the edges down, punched holes all around and stitched them together, and then I trimmed off the excess leather on sides and burnished the edges to give it a nice, clean edge.

Pouches - Main Pouch_17.JPGPouches - Main Pouch_18.JPGPouches - Main Pouch_19.JPGPouches - Main Pouch_20.JPG

I've reached the photo max, so I'll continue in the next post.

Last edited:

Second Pouch (Bullet Pouch):

For the second pouch I decided to go for a different construction method. Instead of forming it with a mold, as I did for the previous version, I decided I would instead stitch it on both sides, which would make more sense. Especially since there's that silver line all around. Plus in the reference it looks like it's been stitched. It has that feel.

So first I cut out the pieces and dyed them. Then I stitched the decorative lines on the front of the pouch.

Pouches - Tall_3.JPGPouches - Tall_1.JPG

Next I stitched the front panel onto the side piece.

Pouches - Tall_4.JPGPouches - Tall_5.JPG

And I burnished the edge:

Pouches - Tall_6.JPG

After that I pretty much followed the same steps as in the previous pouch. I attached the belt loop to the back panel, sewed it all together, and then attached the ring in front. I also put a hidden snap, however, so that the pouch doesn't just hang slightly open, but instead close securely.

Pouches - Tall_7.JPG

Third Pouch (Probably the poison pouch):

For the third and final pouch, I decided I'd do something special. To really make it look fantastic both inside and out, I decide to line it with pigskin. So first I cut out the pieces on the cowhide. Then I beveled the edges. Beveling the edges essentially means cutting off the top (or bottom) edge at a roughly 45 degree angle so that so that it starts becoming round. Then you can easily burnish the edge.

Pouches - Second Pouch_1.JPGPouches - Second Pouch_3 1.jpg
Hey, look! It's mini-Ezio! :)

Once the pieces were cut and beveled I dyed them and began to punch the holes for stitching. In order to accurately mark the spaces between each hole, I used a stitching wheel to mark where the holes will be before I cut them. Mine leaves the holes way too close, so I actually only punch every other hole.

Pouches - Second Pouch_5.JPGPouches - Second Pouch_6.JPGPouches - Second Pouch_7.JPG

Then I cut out all the pigskin lining pieces.

Pouches - Second Pouch_9.JPG

Here's a little bit on an artsy shot, with some of the tools in the frame as well.

Pouches - Second Pouch_11 (Artsy).jpg

Alrighty. So since I'm going to line it with pigskin, I decided to put the belt loops on first so that the rivets won't show.

Pouches - Second Pouch_13.JPGPouches - Second Pouch_14.JPGPouches - Second Pouch_15.JPG

The third picture is sort of a test to make sure it fits.

Once the rivets were in place I glued the lining to the pouch exterior pieces, and punched holes through the lining as well. I also stitched the detailing.

Pouches - Second Pouch_17.JPGPouches - Second Pouch_16.JPGPouches - Second Pouch_18.JPG

Then I stitched the front piece to the side piece:

Pouches - Second Pouch_19.JPGPouches - Second Pouch_20.JPG

Then I stitched the final two pieces together. Hand stitching takes forever...

Pouches - Second Pouch_22.JPGPouches - Second Pouch_21.JPGPouches - Second Pouch_23.JPG

You can see how nice the lining looks on the inside. Pigskin is often found as chrome-tanned leather. Chrome-tanned leather is used for clothing, usually. It's softer, more pliable, and it has some stretch to it. So when you line cowskin with pigskin, you end up with a very comfortable, soft interior, that's easily cleaned.

Pouches - Second Pouch_24.JPG

I burnished the edges, painted them, silver, added the ring/snap combo and it's all finished!

Pouches - Second Pouch_25.JPGPouches - Second Pouch_26.JPGPouches - Second Pouch_27.JPGPouches - Second Pouch_28.JPGPouches - Second Pouch_29.JPG

I guess next I'll start posting my progress with the fabric parts of the costume. It's still in WIP mode though, and I have nothing finished as yet.

Re: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood Ezio Auditore - Version 2 (PIC HEAVY)

ROBE

So I'll also post my progress on the robe so far. It's not completed yet, and I still have a lot to do. But here's what I've accomplished so far.

I made the ten main pieces that form the bottom of the inner tunic.

Main Panel_2.JPGMain Panel_3.JPGView attachment 370626View attachment 370627Main Panel_13.JPGMain Panel_18.JPGMain Panel_17.JPGMain Panel_16.JPGMain Panel_10.JPGMain Panel_19.JPG

Here are the finished pieces (not including the two middle front panels, I forgot to take a picture of those):

Three Panels_2.JPGThree Panels_1.JPGMain Panel_22.JPGThree Panels_3.JPG

For the sleeves I sewed strips of black and tan fabric together in alternating patterns. Then I cut out the sleeves and stitched them together.

Sleeves - 8.JPGSleeves - 6.JPGSleeves - 4.JPG

As far as the jacket is concerned, I've essentially only worked on the chest/back pieces, and the butt flap. I know it sounds weird, but I mean the bottom edge of the jacket that hangs over the back :p

Here's a reference, for, well... reference.

Abdominal jacket region:

Jacket_2.JPGJacket_4.JPGJacket_7.JPGJacket_8.JPGJacket_10.JPGJacket_11.JPG

Front:

Jacket_5.JPG

Back:

Jacket_13.JPG

ROBE (Continued)

Here's the lower bottom edge of the tunic:

Pattern:

Jacket - Buttplate_Pattern.JPG

All the pieces:

Jacket - Buttplate_1.JPG

Stitching them together with the piping. I hid all the stitches by sewing the pieces folded over, so that when I unfolded it and ironed it flat nothing shows. You can see this in the third picture.

Jacket - Buttplate_2.JPGJacket - Buttplate_4.JPGJacket - Buttplate_3.1.JPG

The front piece:

Jacket - Buttplate_5.JPG

In the back it looks all weird up and you can see the folds and everything. So I made it double layered! I sewed the right sides facing, and then folded it out and ironed it flat.

Jacket - Buttplate_7.JPGJacket - Buttplate_8.JPGJacket - Buttplate_11.JPG

I left the top edge unfinished because I'll take care of that when I sew this to the jacket.

Jacket - Buttplate_9 (Edited).jpg

I am simply blown away by your skill, motivation, and perceverence! The patience, dedication to quality, and attention to detail that is evident in each and every piece in this costume is both humbling and awe inspiring!

I am simply blown away by your skill, motivation, and perceverence! The patience, dedication to quality, and attention to detail that is evident in each and every piece in this costume is both humbling and awe inspiring!

Thank so very much, Omooney! I try my hardest :)

So I have some more progress for you guys today.

I worked on the shoulder pieces and the front jacket flaps. Unfortunately, though, I ran out of piping again so I have to go down town and get some tomorrow. In any case, I'm really happy with how the pieces look.

Shoulder pieces (there will be seven on either side, like the reference):

Jacket_14.JPGJacket_15.JPG

The front flap (I was only able to finish one today, but I'm very pleased with the result. I've sewn everything inside-out, so when you flip it properly again no stitches are visible whatsoever. I'm very proud of that.):

Jacket_16.JPGJacket_18.JPGJacket_19.JPGJacket_20.JPG

Here it is with the buttplate to get an idea. I'm really considering whether or not to rip open the buttplate and add the double piping to the edge like I did with the front piece... I mean it would be more accurate, but I kind of like it better without the silver..

Jacket_21.JPG

That's where we stand now :) Hopefully I'll have more updates soon!

I also worked on the cape today. Pleased with how it's turning out. I like the red underneath more than the gray, like I did on my last version.

Cape_3.JPGCape_4.JPG

Here they are on the mannequin. The robes you see are from my old suit. Only the left spaulder will be used for this new version.

Cape_5.JPGCape_6.JPGCape_7.JPG

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back