Another Mass Effect 2 N7 helmet build

Baron

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
After seeing the build pics Volpin posted of his N7 armor build(I saw EvilFX built two awesome gender specific sets as well!), I got inspired to try and make the helmet to go along with the armor.
I did see Tommyfilth's build, and it looks like he has way more materials knowledge than I do, so I went with what is (I hope) a more straightforward method.
Last Saturday I started out with a basic posterboard framework for foaming:
n7_wip_01.jpg

Incidentally I think I'll use the same design if I ever need to make a stovepipe helmet for medieval armor!
I then added expanding foam:
n7_wip_02.jpg

And then came the shaving!
n7_wip_03.jpg

Lots, and lots of shaving. I found using a small hand held hobby saw works best, but anything with a good serrated edge works as well.
As of today, I have this:
n7_wip_04.jpg

My plan is to continue roughing out the general shape of the helmet in the foam, and once I feel its close, add clay/apoxie sculpt in order to better define the features/shape/lines of the helmet.

Eventually I would like to cast this in silicone rubber and make resin copies.
Any critiques, tips, suggestions from you prop veterans would be much appreciated!
While I wouldn't mind making a life size N7 bobblehead, I'd like to avoid it on my first prop attempt :)

Oh, and does anyone have suggestions on how to handle the back of the helmet?

From my reference shots, I'm having a hard time determining the the concentric rings are actually connected to the two helmet "wings", or if there is some small gap between them?

I'm trying to figure out if that would best be done via a vacformed insert with the concentric rings, with the "wings" being part of the master helmet mold.

See pic below: Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
back_of_head_shot.jpg

haven't posted any progress, mainly because my printer decided to give up the ghost. Irritating...an HP employee can't keep his HP products working.
Got the replacement part today, hopefully will be able to print out some reference material and start adding details.
I thought about bringing my laptop down there, but I was concerned I would get foam particles sucked into the venting and possibly melting inside.

It's very good work so far. I'd say that a vacformed insert would be the way to go, or a molded/cast piece if you're into that. It definitely looks like those wings wrap around the concentric circle part as separate pieces, so having a separate insert would be the better way to go, no matter how you accomplish it.

Yeah I'm not sure I could pull off a mold that wouldnt snap them clean off when removing the cast. Maybe casting them separately then attaching them...I'm not seeing any way around it.

Made some progress today, got to spend a few hours in the garage shaving away instead of working.
here are some pics:
n7_wip_09.jpg

n7_wip_08.jpg

n7_wip_07.jpg

n7_wip_06.jpg

And finally...
n7_wip_05.jpg

I'm thinking just a little more work with the foam, then I can throw some clay on it, and start defining the details, lines, edges, and fix some symmetry problems.

That's funny, after seeing that link, I realized I have one of those. I might see about cutting it up to use as a pattern for the back. Thanks for the link!

So, this is where the helmet stands at the moment:
n7_wip10.jpg

At this point I would start adding clay, but since I eyeballed this from the beginning, there are some symmetry issues and scale issues that need to be address.
To do this, I've whipped up some blueprint...something in hindsight I should have done initially.
So I'll be refoaming another blank template and shaving that down to size this week using the blueprints for scale, to try and avoid duplicating the same results.
Oh, and for anyone else who will be working with foam like this who keeps their grill in the garage...make sure you put the slipcover over the grill before you start shaving the foam.

Nice to see you're doing the newer version of the helmet. I started mine way back when the second game's teaser was coming out, so back then all images were only of the first games helmets and armor. I can't wait to see how this turns out, I would say on the wings, the space between the "colander" and the wings seems to taper. I also haven't figured out weather or not I'm going to try casting the wings separately or not, for now they are off so as to get to the back of the helmet. I hear you on the bobble-head, I think the character models take a little liberties on head and body size (kind of like with Warhammer miniatures, their "hero" scale is crazy) so the helmets to the character are motorcycle sized, but for us real humans they would have to be smaller. it looks right from the self pic above, but a shot from across the room will have less lens distortion.

Tommy

Another question I'm asking myself is do I try and make a removable facemask that could be slotted in, or should I just worry about getting the helmet made without additional complications.

Another question I'm asking myself is do I try and make a removable facemask that could be slotted in, or should I just worry about getting the helmet made without additional complications.

I decided to make the face mask integrated, and let whomever is making it decide if they want it in or out, or if they want to try to fit it with magnets, latches, slots or whatever.

Tommy

Very cool.

And I think the removable faceplate is a good idea, but it would probably be tricky to avoid weakening the front of the helmet.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back