3D Printed Halo4 Master Chief Helmet

DarthTigger

Hey guys. A Buddy of mine printed a Halo 4 Master chief helmet in about 16 pieces, and asked me to put it together for him.

So I thought I would show you all the process.

I have more pictures and Videos, and I will post them shortly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome! Always love to see more people playing with 3d printing. You mention spots for magnets; is the hole on master chief helmet design too small for a head and that's why it needs to detach? I haven't seen this done before.

I think so, but I tell you what, I will test that out in my next video and we will see. :)

- - - Updated - - -

That will be Video#5 because I have 2, 3 and 4 ready to go now.

If you have got small areas you are working on, and bondo is clogging it up, you can use bondo sopt putty, it comes in tubes and air dries and you applicate it with a spatula or a piece of flexible plastic. (like a piece of cut credit card) It dries really fast and hard and there is minimal cleanup.

You also mentioned using fiberglass resin to smooth out the piece, in my experience, it's actually more hassle getting fiberglass resin smooth, also, the heat generated by fiberglass resin can heat up the 3D printed plastic and warp it.

I'm surprised that you are using bondo on the whole helmet for a 3d printed helmet. The 3d printed helmets that I have seen and the one you are working on are very high detailed and I can see where it would be extremely difficult to not get the bondo in the detailed lines, to get the bondo out of those lines if you did or to sand in the smaller detailed areas. I would have only used bondo to fill in the large gapped areas where pieces were joined together and spray painted the the rest of the helmet with a high build primer paint then wet sanded it down by hand to fill in the small lined areas caused by the 3d printing process. Maybe you can just try that....good luck with it.

This is a design I reworked from a simple 3D graphic.

All the files are available here.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:158120

There is a link in there to hackaday projects as well.

If your slice and print goes well, and you don't get warping, then the pieces should match shockingly well.

However, I still occasionally get some unsatisfactory gaps from warping.

The chin is intended to be removed incase you can't get it on otherwise.

Note there are three sizes on thingiverse now.

Also multiple parts with attach points for wiring, a chin piece with bolt details, and large pieces to print if your bed is bid enough so there are less joints.

Give me a ping if you have any questions.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back