A tale of five models... Model 3: TOS 1/350

Michael Bergeron

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey Guys!

So, like many of you I made a lot of models when I was a kid. Mostly WW2 planes and ships with the odd Star Wars or Star Trek kit. Then, at about 15 years old, I left the hobby for women & drink. :lol

16 years later I've decided to get back to it! The build threads in here, although intimidating at first, have given me the confidence to give it a go. My goal for the end of this thread is to have a fully lit Polar Lights 1:350 Refit Enterprise! However, one doesn't just jump into that kind of model cold! Therefore, I will be working my way up to it with three models of increasing complexity.

The first I've already completed. It's the AMT(?) Speeder Bike from ROTJ. Completely stock except for a real cloth haversack I'm going to add at the rear to replace the poorly molded one. This model was to make sure I could still do them. Quite simple.

speeder1.jpg

speeder2.jpg

I didn't use the scout trooper it came with, it was just too inaccurate to make it worth my while to fix up. I still have him if anyone wants him!

Next on my list is the AMT Flight Display Klingon Bird of Prey which I received from Trooper (thanks again!). I will be lighting this model and creating a custom stand to house the plug. Aside from the electronics this will be a pretty stock build. I might add a little bit to the guns but other than that she's right out of the box. With this I hope to learn more about lighting a model with the advantage of having a highly weathered ship to hide any mistakes!

After that will be the AMT U.S.S. Reliant which I purchased from micdavis (this thread here. He gave me a great deal and still has plenty of models left!). I've seen a Reliant build on here where they are going to the extent of correcting just about everything wrong with the kit. I won't be going that far but I will be modifying windows to be more SA as well as maybe a few other things. This will be lit as well and NOT weathered so it'll be a true test of my abilities learned to that point.

FINALLY, after those models I will be ready to tackle the Refit. It's a monster but I'm really looking forward to it!

So, if you're at all interested in my journey tune in! I won't be posting an update every night like some of this forum's superstars but I'll try for at least one a week (I've got a LOT of other projects on the go in addition to these).

First post will be tonight!

Last edited:
Re: A tale of four models...

Day one on the Bird of Prey done!

To start I removed all pieces from the sprues, trimmed and sanded the parts. Then, as I've seen done here many times before I decided to prep the model for lights!

Two coats of black satin:

bopblackspray.jpg

And two coats of gloss white:

bopwhitespray.jpg

Then I went to glue some parts together that I knew wouldn't interfere with my lights... We come to newbie mistake #1!

Model cement needs bare plastic to adhere! I then spent the rest of the evening scraping the paint off of every area that would need glue. :angry

Go figure, day one and I already wanted to toss this thing! However, when I finished my paint removal I assembled her to take a look and I'm already in love. :love

boptapeup.jpg

I've always loved this design and just looking at the tape up I can already imagine how great she's going to look when finished!

Next step, which might take a while, is to figure out a lighting plan. The only part that I can see being a problem is the lights on the wings as they back on to solid plastic. Getting fiber in there is going to be difficult.

Re: A tale of four models... Model 2: Bird of Prey

Sweet... Not really a trek fan but I love this design. Same with the refit. I got a bunch of star trek models sittin in boxes that I just will never build. Like to watch others though.

Sweet... Not really a trek fan but I love this design. Same with the refit. I got a bunch of star trek models sittin in boxes that I just will never build. Like to watch others though.

If only you lived closer I'd probably take some of those off your hands!

I always liked Trek but never collected until recently. Now I do the phasers and PADDS as well as models. :)

I've looked at some screen grabs and am trying to work out the lights for this guy. I drew this up:

boplights1.jpg

The purple lines coming from the white LED are fiber for the tiny lights on each wing as well as on the top and bottom of the main hull. The green lights are for illuminating the windows and will be diffused. The red lights are for the lit underside as well as the torpedo launcher. The orange lights are for the engine.

Any pros care to chime in with how I should go about arranging this circuit? I want to fix this to a plug, not batteries. This is the shop I'll be going to, it's nice and close: SAYAL Electronics Web Site - 6/11/2012 2:34:43 PM

After looking at it again I missed a light on the bottom (another strand of fiber) and will be using yellow lights for the windows instead of green.

Any thoughts on how I should wire this up so that I can use a plug? I'm a lighting novice!

It's sure nice seeing the "flea trap" getting built.

Heck I love that ship so much that I even have some plans to it on my computer. Some really good and detailed plans for it. PM me if you wish to have the whole collection of them.

Heck I love that ship so much that I even have some plans to it on my computer. Some really good and detailed plans for it. PM me if you wish to have the whole collection of them.

Do I ever! :D PM on it's way!

Went to the electronics place and just bought a bunch of stuff. Turns out some of the LEDs I purchased aren't bright enough for what I want but live and learn. Will have to go back next weekend! Working on wiring this sucker up before I get into painting. :)

Last edited:

I've always liked the BOP design. I have two of these in boxes waiting for something to happen. Looking forward to your progress on this...

Alright!

Sorry it's been so long since my last update. The electronics place near me is great but the only time our schedules coincide is on Saturdays so if I need something I have to wait a week to get it (and being new to this I need a LOT of things. Prior to this project I basically only had the soldering iron & the solder).

I did a lot of research online and decided my simplest method of attack would be to put each lit element in parallel. Saves me a lot of math, not that I don't like math but honestly I'm a little lost as to where to even start with that as none of these LEDs came with voltages. I know I'm missing something simple here. ;)

Here's the start of my circuit. The light for the torpedo tube and the fibreoptics are there but not connected. The engines and forward Red "wash" lights are there.

bopcircuittop.jpg

On the bottom you can see it's a dead easy circuit. When done there will be two rows of solder, positive & negative.

bopcircuitbottom.jpg

I gave the BOP a quick rough spray of green. It's way darker than the final product will be, it's just a base coat. Then I taped her together to see how my lights worked. First the engines:

boplightback.jpg

Mine won't flicker. I don't want them to, just looks weird to me, I thought so in the film too. I sanded the LEDs to get the nice even orange glow. I'll also be frosting the inside of the engine glass.

Now the red wash:

boplightfront.jpg

Looks much better in person. Obviously there's light leaking now.

Finally a shot of the whole thing in profile:

bopoverall.jpg

Funny how when you're taking WIP pics you don't even think about all the crap on your desk and in the BG... :facepalm Lousy shot but you get the idea.

Sadly, I couldn't find any fibreoptics near me (even looked for toys to hack up... nuthin!) so I'll have to order them online which means waiting. Oh well, more time for other projects! :)

Nice scissors man! Is it just the fibers you need mate. I have miles of the stuff.

Is it just the fibers you need mate. I have miles of the stuff.

Yep. But I need thick fiber. I'm using it for the "beacon" lights on the top & bottom of the ship as well as the floods on the wings near the body. I have some super thin stuff that came with by fiberoptic Star Destroyer (which has been sitting in a box for 10 years) but it doesn't cut it.

Ordered my fibreoptics online and they arrived today! :D:D:D

Can FINALLY move forward on this. :)

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back