Revell EasyKit Y-Wing Conversion

Archive&Future

Sr Member
I can't seem to get enough of these Revell EasyKits! Picked up a huge bag of freebies today along with the (paid for) Y-wing, from the local model store:

tumblr_mpj98zLBr31rvpchho1_500.jpg

Got straight to work on the greeblies. Proportions on this kit look spot on IMO, just a bit under-detailed.

tumblr_mpj9cixKcM1rvpchho1_500.jpg

Fast forward a bit, glued together the main body and detailed that too. Engine pods are a dry fit at this stage

tumblr_mpj9flbT7M1rvpchho1_500.jpg

tumblr_mpj9hvMdcm1rvpchho1_500.jpg

tumblr_mpj9kfZMdX1rvpchho1_500.jpg

Thanks for looking!
Also if anyone could link me to the short thread which compares the FM/Revell Y-wings, that would be really helpful. I've trawled for it but I cna't find it

Brushed on some primer and dry-fitted the jet struts. I'd like to remake these from flat metal rod if I can get hold of any

tumblr_mpl2v1GHTk1rvpchho1_500.jpg

tumblr_mpl2wp39wO1rvpchho1_500.jpg

Also filled and sanded the stoopid X that was engraved into the eggs. Still need a little more filling yet

tumblr_mpl2zbrDwG1rvpchho1_500.jpg

tumblr_mpl31gciIn1rvpchho1_500.jpg

I started rescribing panel lines, that needs to be finished too. Pretty chuffed so far!

Looks gorgeous so far! Keep those pics coming...

Thanks I sure will!

Hard to believe the cheap easy kits are so good looking with items added to them.

Yeah it is quite, the Revell kits are very good middle-ground IMHO to start from, not too terrible, but enough to warrant getting really stuck into it with kitbashing and repainting

The extra detail pays off.

Is this the link your after?
http://www.therpf.com/f11/revell-vs-fine-molds-y-wings-140372/

Yes! Thanks very much

That extra detail looks great!

I really like the Revell stuff. They are nice out of the box for a quick relaxed build, or as primers for those inexperienced, or young kids
For the more experienced, they provide a nice canvas to practice super detailing or reworking without worrying about destroying an expensive model. In an odd way, I think I get more satisfaction out of adding all those little details myself compared to just gluing together a Fine Molds model.

I wish I had spent the time sprucing mine up a bit. However, at the time I built it, it was the first non-table top gaming model I had done in probably close to 20 years. I had picked it up a few years ago as an impulse buy with a 50% off coupon while at Michael's crafts store. I put it together and painted/weathered it in something like 2 hours. It got me hooked again and I have since been collecting pretty much any scale models related to Star Wars or BSG since.

I have a second one of these. I want to convert it into a panelled Y-wing
Original_Y-wing.jpg

Attachments

• Original_Y-wing.jpg
    Original_Y-wing.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
That extra detail looks great!

I really like the Revell stuff. They are nice out of the box for a quick relaxed build, or as primers for those inexperienced, or young kids
For the more experienced, they provide a nice canvas to practice super detailing or reworking without worrying about destroying an expensive model. In an odd way, I think I get more satisfaction out of adding all those little details myself compared to just gluing together a Fine Molds model.

THanks! I definitely agree with you, the Revell kits are jussttt underdetailed enough to enjoy oneself adding all kinds of doodads to them. My main gripe about this kit is how small it is, I was hoping it was going to be a little bigger, judging by the box size.
I'd love love love to see you build a proper panelled Y-wing.

Filled and polished up the eggs

tumblr_mpomliBSPY1rvpchho1_500.jpg

The X is only visible because I brushed the paint on thinly, they're pretty much entirely smooth now.

tumblr_mpomnlI5z11rvpchho1_500.jpg

Just whacked it onto my X-wing stand to see how it looks all (kind of) assembled

Next stop will be the underside greebles!

That's looking really good.

Thanks for sharing.

(Who in your family likes to eat Marmite?)

Cheers
Eddie

Thanks! I need to post some more soon, I've been working on it.
I absolutely love Marmite, but it's actually a Marmite teapot I found chucked outside someone's house, makes a good paintbrush pot!

Engines were detailed today

tumblr_mpzrtajtKn1rvpchho1_500.jpg

Underside was also done

tumblr_mpzrv3UGbW1rvpchho1_500.jpg

THen painting! Woo!

tumblr_mpzrwnTDh71rvpchho1_500.jpg

Laid down thin whites and greys on the engines and cockpit, and darker greys and browns on the engine deck

tumblr_mpzrytrBx81rvpchho1_500.jpg

You know it's serious business when you have to wear gloves

tumblr_mpzs20MbE41rvpchho1_500.jpg

I painted certain pipes with brown, followed by copper. The rest of the engine deck was drybrushed with greys, whites and bieges and washed with browns and blacks

tumblr_mpzs52B6211rvpchho1_500.jpg

Burn marks, rust and discolouration were added along with the bley engine highlights (all of these colours show up badly on camera, especially under yellow desk light)

tumblr_mpzs7xwO7F1rvpchho1_500.jpg

Stay tuned, more to come!

I masked off the yellow markings

tumblr_mq1hr0Czmj1rvpchho1_500.jpg

Turned out nicely

tumblr_mq1httw4Ka1rvpchho1_500.jpg

I then weathered it up a little :D

tumblr_mq1hvjyIqU1rvpchho1_500.jpg

I made a stand from waxed oak and polished brass rod

tumblr_mq1hyjDQB61rvpchho1_500.jpg

tumblr_mq1i0rOvxF1rvpchho1_500.jpg

These photos in daylight show the true colours far better. The bley sections are far too blue at the moment, I'll likely dull then down with some grey and white washes.
I also need to weather the underside and sides, and paint the yellow markings on the underside of the cockpit; it's certainly not finished but it's close

Stay tuned and all that jazz

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back