Revell EasyKit TIE Fighter Conversion

Archive&Future

Sr Member
I had thought I'd already put a thread up on this, but apparently not! I picked up this Revell TIE at Modelzone in the sale, paid something like £8 I think.

Out the box, the sprues are big.

tumblr_mn5zcdfkos1rvpchho1_500.jpg

Once built, it's a good size. Something like a 140mm wingspan

tumblr_mn5zgbMe5v1rvpchho1_500.jpg

tumblr_mn5zkzA81b1rvpchho1_500.jpg

The colours are towards the ESB TIE I think.
Also, the details are pretty good, quite clean and should paint up well.

tumblr_mn5zmoVena1rvpchho1_500.jpg

Primed and ready

tumblr_mn5zojXQIE1rvpchho1_500.jpg

Masking this was a total PITA; I first gave the wings a coat of Citadel black primer and then masking taped off the majority. Any tiny sections were coated with masking fluid.
I also laid down a grey/beige mix. If anyone is interested, I used a 1:1:1 mix of Astronomican Grey, Denheb Stone, and Skull White

tumblr_mn605hdzZF1rvpchho1_500.jpg

That's me working at my friend's house

tumblr_mn5zv22sYZ1rvpchho1_500.jpg

tumblr_mn5zxz31SK1rvpchho1_500.jpg

And that's where I'm at. Not a big project, just a nice side thing. Should be done quickly, and will probably look good too; it's a very displayable size.

This is a very impressive kit, in fact I like it better than the Finemolds. I'm sure it will look great with your paint work.

I'm hoping the Revell Germany X-Wing due in October is as nice as this one.

This is a very impressive kit, in fact I like it better than the Finemolds. I'm sure it will look great with your paint work.

I'm hoping the Revell Germany X-Wing due in October is as nice as this one.

Thank you very much! I hope my paint work turns out as well as you expect it to.

Anyway, back to the build. I tried hollowing out the plastic panes in the clear cockpit canopy piece that came with the kit, that worked out well until got to the last two panes, and the whole frame snapped. I decided to build a new frame from sheets of styrene instead; firstly, I drew the cockpit design in inkscape.
I then printed that out onto sticker paper, and cut out one frame.

tumblr_mnilzmXcYp1rvpchho1_500.jpg

tumblr_mnim263cTt1rvpchho1_500.jpg

I then stuck the sticker onto a sheet of 1.25mm styrene, and cut around it (time consuming!)

tumblr_mnim5uFRjX1rvpchho1_500.jpg

tumblr_mnim8lvBGU1rvpchho1_500.jpg

I scored the arm/octagon intersections, bend them, and strengthened them with glue. Then glued it into the original frame.

tumblr_mnimadMftM1rvpchho1_500.jpg

I painted the cockpit interior black, and attached very thin styrene detailing to the cockpit frame

tumblr_mnimdyCn0z1rvpchho1_500.jpg

tumblr_mnimgfdqgd1rvpchho1_500.jpg

The cockpit interior was glued into place along with the canopy frame

tumblr_mnimjnoecf1rvpchho1_500.jpg

The wings were glued on after the top fuselage was attached

tumblr_mnimmf49HX1rvpchho1_500.jpg

After that, all 24 wing panels were de-masked and touched up, and some slight weathering done. Some small sections need going over or redoing, but overall a very comfortable build. Final photos will be up once I make a new stand to replace the hideous one provided with the kit

tumblr_mnimpwShr61rvpchho1_500.jpg

Nice build. I've been thinking of doing this, but the windowpanes have had me refraining from it. Nice to have seen your solution. Looks really good.

Beautiful build! I like the hallowed out cockpit windows. It looks more like the studio model that way.

I agree with robn1, I kind of like this Revell Tie Fighter better than the Finemolds kit especially due to it's larger size. The Finemolds Tie Fighter isn't 100% accurate either so go this Revell kit's larger size is the winner.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back