A movie-camera prop

johnpipe

This did not begin with the intention of being a prop; the beginnings go back to the 1960's when I was a student member of the SMPTE. I had purchased a model E Cine Kodak 16mm camera, the one pictured here, and wanted to have an external film magazine for it. I dreamt of the idea for a goodly while, but hadn't any of the tools and machines needed.

DSCF2881.JPG

A few years back, I decided to make a magazine as a full-scale model, with the intention that it should be actually workable, and if I could get a motion-picture course at the local JC then it would be feasible to put some film through it. This hinged on getting a machine-shop course, but they seem to have been dropped from the curriculum, so finishing off the details waited for a while.

DSCF2882.JPG

The magazine body is 1/4" MDF, front and rear, hard wood floor and top/center spacers, and some spacers around the curved portions. The curves are "plated" over with paper mache! Cereal-box cardboard forms the base layer, brown paper bag strips the build-up, and diluted white glue the paste. This dries hard and can be sanded and shaped.

DSCF2880.JPG

Since I could not get machine-shop tuition, I decided to do the best I could with minimal tools to complete the magazine box; McMaster-Carr came in handy for various components, including 5/16" brass key stock, delrin pulleys, 1-1/4" delrin round-bar stock for the spool core, 6061 6" x 12" aluminum sheet for the spool flanges, 3/8"L x 1/4"bore bronze graphite dry-lube bushings.

DSCF2879.JPG

R190 HS daylight-loading spool, with 200' of out-dated Kodak Vision2 500T Estar, in long-pitch HS loading, next to shop-made standard-speed spool

I had hoped to make a new camera body, re-designed to accept the magazine, but it turns out that I could not make up the spool with sufficient accuracy, and that means the needed film guide rollers are beyond me; the main culprit here is my 10" Chinese-made Craftsman drill-press, that does not drill quite concentric holes, thus throws off accuracy badly. A new camera-body was a consideration for a shop course, so I've left the body un-modified, leaving the combination as a de facto prop since it's not going to be able to run film.

My terminal illness is progressing steadily, so further projects are "iffy;" I've got bad edema, with sciatica on top, so this limits my activities. I'm enrolled in home-hospice care and it's probable that I'll be bed-ridden by years end. I'm involved with other projects, too, including a home-made 4 x 5 view camera, that's entered in the upcoming Sonoma County Fair, under Adult Fine Arts, Woodworking, and when I'm able to stand on my feet for any length of time I tool around in the "darkroom" (bathroom) trying to master the art of printing from paper camera negatives!

Hope you like the model, and hope y'all are doing OK.

Regards, John

Very cool, I hope you get to make it functional some day. This reminds me of an article from Cinemagic magazine where someone made a 35mm stop motion camera. he used a stripped down Olympus SLR for the lens mount and shutter, mounted in a phenolic project case, and made a motorized film advance. It was for animation so it didn't have to be too complicated.

Sorry about your health issues, I hope it turns around for you.

I agree with robn1. This is a pretty good project and I too hope one day you get it running. Also, I'm sorry to hear about your medical problems, but I'm glad to see that you're still doing things you're interested in. Hope you provide more posts in the future. :)

That looks believable to me!
I was confused at first, because I thought that you had a photo of a real film magazine. Your MDF version fooled me! Nice job!

Confused too by your built prop of that magazine:cool Very well done! I'm glad you're still pursuing what you love to do despite your illness. I wish you luck in your next endeavours.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back