JSI 1/18 F-14A Tomcat (VF-84 Jolly Rogers)

CessnaDriver

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
1/18 collectors were waiting a long time for this one to come out in an otherwise pretty dry market for new aircraft.
Unfortunately the weathering job in China amounted to turning the Tomcat into "Spot"-cats. :lol Needless to say my airbrush was put to work.

As shipped...

IMG_6003.jpg

Fixed!...

IMG_6018.jpg

IMG_6024.jpg

IMG_6021.jpg

IMG_6025.jpg

IMG_6028.jpg

IMG_6030.jpg

IMG_6031.jpg

IMG_6033.jpg

Now maybe I need that 1/18 Zero too.......

Splash Zeros, I say again, SPLASH ZEROS!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMq99xV5APA#t=3m25s

Last edited:
jeez, the chinese kids must have taken a day off from painting sideshow's pieces.

much improved sir

-z

did youneed to repaint or would thinner have worked?

Maybe, but that might take the undercoat with them and some of the spots are butting up against the markings.
Some folks were using GoJo to rub them out.
Others found that make-up sponges could be used to soak up paint and dab them out. An interesting method that actually worked well for some folks but I was more comfortable with airbrush. Once you mask off the markings, things went quickly.

Looks great. At comicon a company called BBI had a pretty sweet F-4 Phantom. I wonder if it's the same company.
It had the same skull graphic on the tail.

FB

Looks great. At comicon a company called BBI had a pretty sweet F-4 Phantom. I wonder if it's the same company.
It had the same skull graphic on the tail.

FB

JSI has an Israeli F-15 in camo coming, at least there were pics at a trade show.

I'll be all over any 1/18 jets that's for sure!

That is SWEEEEET! Congratulations on getting one CD.

These will not last long for sure. Bad Cat has a good price but I believe SmallJoes.com has it for the lowest I have seen at $219. A great price for such a huge aircraft model/toy. I should have mine by this Wednesday.... I can't wait! :D

These 1:18 planes... I just can't understand why they are labled as toys for 5 and up???!!!! These are great replicas, that with additional paint, could be museum worthy! That stated... I have been collecting them for just over a year now.... and the rare beasts are getting harder and harder to get hold of. I keep speaking with Scott Alexander about them and both and I are hoping they produce the B-25 in 1:18. That would put it just smaller than this F-14..... and very kewl! :D

GREAT thread CD... I am very thankful for the photos you posted to show the quality. :)

Excellent, my first squadron. back when i was an AO. that plane brings back a lot of memories. great job.

Al

My father was in the Navy briefly during WWII, but spent most of his career civil service working on Navy aircraft. Hellcats to Sea Kings. His last day before he retired they brought the first Tomcat in and he walked up an patted her goodbye. So he saw quite a run of the Grumman cats in his time.

Fantastic Tomcat page if anyone is interested.......

http://www.anft.net/f-14/

Nice Re-paint. Alway's loved that plane. Too bad it does not fly anymore. Wonder if they will let someone keep one flying for the air show circuit.

Matthew

Nice Re-paint. Alway's loved that plane. Too bad it does not fly anymore. Wonder if they will let someone keep one flying for the air show circuit.

Matthew

Iran still flys them back from when the shaw was in power.

Any F-14 even museum pieces are sensitive military items and pretty sure they strip them down pretty well so no useful spare parts could go to Iran.

They have been shredding many F-14s that normally would just sit in boneyards because of this.

Iran still flys them back from when the shaw was in power.

Any F-14 even museum pieces are sensitive military items and pretty sure they strip them down pretty well so no useful spare parts could go to Iran.

They have been shredding many F-14s that normally would just sit in boneyards because of this.

you are correct. all retired jets are now to be demiliterized. that means, no radar, fire controll computer, engines..... the list is very long. the bone yard in phenix arizona talks about the process on their website.

BTW, your tomcat looks great!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back