IR remote LED switch for my Millenium Falcon

I found the resin bits to be extremely fragile...I had to sand them down from the back by laying them on sandpaper and use circular motions until they fit under the vent cut out...the ends of some of the spokes had to be sanded too. I broke a few spokes off, here and there, and had to superglue them back. I intend to use some tiny magnets (1/16 diameter) to attach the last vent assembly so I can get access to the electronics at some point in the future. I will post pictures as I go along...

I ground a small spot out to hold the magnet...

DSC_0014.jpg

then a drop of super glue and added the magnet.

DSC_0016.jpg

Phew! Alaneye, I'm glad you got the second to the last kit.

Vixr, thanks for the info on the fan props. I won't be tackling them any day soon, but I will eventually, now that I've purchased them, and what happens in this thread is all very, very interesting. You made me start buying stuff for a second Falcon. :D

well, I made some good progress today...

DSC_0029.jpg

I played around with some of the decals and decided to try the liquid mask and just paint the colored panels.
DSC_0035.jpg

I am really starting to enjoy the air brush...
DSC_0033-1.jpg

Vixr - you meant me? :behave Just kidding. Great job so far!
I stripped off all the base paint from my 1/144 and I've got a
fresh canvas again. I'm trying to follow everyone's painting
techniques closely so I'm watching your thread with anticipation.

Vixr - you meant me? :behave Just kidding. Great job so far!
I stripped off all the base paint from my 1/144 and I've got a
fresh canvas again. I'm trying to follow everyone's painting
techniques closely so I'm watching your thread with anticipation.

so far my method has been to look at all the pictures I can find for hours, then paint for 10 minutes, then look at pictures again... :lol

more airbrushing this morning... an odd thing, the gray looks too dark and the red too bright in the photos, but in person both look pretty close. I used some Tamiya paints: flat red with some flat earth and some straight neutral grey thinned about 50 percent with alcohol...I think it looks great in person.

DSC_00097.jpg

DSC_00117.jpg

Last edited:
I'm pretty satisfied with the battery charger setup now...it was fighting me for awhile, but now that the new batteries have been through half a dozen charge/discharge cycles, I feel the whole lighting system has been tested and is working properly... here is a look.

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0030-1.jpg

I hope this image that I found on the net helps.

Guys...there looks to me to be more "soot" coming from the small vent holes behind the 6 large exhaust vents in this picture of the 3 footer. There is actually very little soot streaking back from the large vents...does anyone have better pictures of the studio model?

30062009_006.jpg

dtssyst, Thank you for posting the excellent photos. I can look the Falcon for hours...very cool.

more weathering... gotta figure out how create the blast damage on the hull...

DSC_00076.jpg

DSC_00109.jpg

Last edited:
here is what I came up with on the blaster holes in the hull...

used the dremel to open the holes...

DSC_0001-5.jpg

DSC_0003-5.jpg

opened up the holes from the back for some depth...

DSC_0005-1.jpg

used the old vent parts to make the bottom of the blast holes...

DSC_0002-3.jpg

put the parts behind the holes...

DSC_0006-3.jpg

airbrushed the burns in...

DSC_0008-3.jpg

the effect was supposed to be the blast went through the outer hull and into the inner hull...

DSC_0010-1.jpg

DSC_0002-4.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back